No announcement yet.

Ty Taylor is transferring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once again - for our slow learners in the class (Shocka Khan, Aaargh, tempshock, anyone else not getting it) - let's review the Marshall Plan:

"Perimeter players have one year on the court to prove they can be a starter."

Any questions?

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Bunch View Post
      Once again - for our slow learners in the class (Shocka Khan, Aaargh, tempshock, anyone else not getting it) - let's review the Marshall Plan:

"Perimeter players have one year on the court to prove they can be a starter."

Any questions?
      Yes, I have a question. In what universe did he he a year? He got a total of about 3 games. Plus, he never got to play with Fred on the floor, and he only played primarily against 3 power 5 teams, at that.

Time will tell if he can succeed elsewhere. I believe he will because I got to see him play several high school games, before his confidence was broken. My one primary point is he was not given a fair opportunity at WSU.

Comment

• Ty and Corey, as much as I enjoyed watching them play, reminded me of tasting Jalapeño peanut brittle for the first time.

Y'know I wanted to like it and Y'know it did taste ok, but Y'know i wasn't really sure how much more I could take.

Yeah, that's what it's like.
        For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
        - said no one ever...

Comment

• Originally posted by tempshock View Post
          Yes, I have a question. In what universe did he he a year? He got a total of about 3 games. Plus, he never got to play with Fred on the floor, and he only played primarily against 3 power 5 teams, at that.

Time will tell if he can succeed elsewhere. I believe he will because I got to see him play several high school games, before his confidence was broken. My one primary point is he was not given a fair opportunity at WSU.
          You have to forgive Art 'has his panties in a' Bunch. His panties are in a bunch over his man-crush he has on you-know-who.......

Comment

So Marshall made his decision based on 3 games? This is getting ridiculous. I imagine he may have taken the last 9 months they spent together at practices, travel, games into account. Along with who he sees contributing and where Ty may be on the depth chart the next few years. Your view is better though, "unfair" process based on 3 games and Marshall is so stupid he doesn't know what roles he needs filled and who can fill them best.

I hope Ty goes on and has some all-conference years somewhere. Seems like a nice kid and even handled himself very well when he tweeted about transferring. Some of the "adult" fans however can't seem to handle it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta town View Post
              So Marshall made his decision based on 3 games? This is getting ridiculous.
              I am almost pretty sure that 3G probably has seen TT and all other Shocker players who were not injured play basketball in many more than 3 games. Just because you think he should only consider the time he sees them that is coincident with the time that you see them doesn't make it correct reasoning.
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

You do realize that GM saw him in practice almost everyday for over 4 months, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                  I am almost pretty sure that 3G probably has seen TT and all other Shocker players who were not injured play basketball in many more than 3 games. Just because you think he should only consider the time he sees them that is coincident with the time that you see them doesn't make it correct reasoning.
                  LMAO, I just want to make clear that what is getting "ridiculous" is someone thinking he only got 3 games to prove himself and the process was "unfair"

Comment

• I met Ty last summer and was immediately impressed. I am saddened he's chosen to transfer, but I thank him for his sacrifice and congratulate him on his accomplishments.

He is a conference champion and is 2-1 in the big dance. You get that forever, plus whatever you do going forward and I wish the young man the very best.

He carried himself with grace and thoughtfulness and will be a success in life at whatever he does. Outstanding young man.

Comment

• At the end of the day you have to let a freshman be a freshman and play through freshman mistakes, its the only way they can grow, but thats hard as hell when your playing behind two AA senior guards.
                      Last edited by shoxrox89; April 1, 2016, 08:44 PM.
                      Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

• This is the way I see it. Ty was recruited with the idea that he would be a good addition to what looked like a solid group of guards. Did not redshirt for one reason or another. Played when needed but did not get the offense to move and took it upon himself to score. New group coming in and playing time will be tough to come by. Decides it is in his best interest to move on and find a school that can utilize his talents. I will always respect him for picking WSU and being a Shocker even if it was for a short while.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                          I'm willing to bury the hatchet, it's just I think there's more than a few hypocritical posters here. They get all wound up about someone suggesting EW ought to play less based on his performance, but think it's perfectly OK for the coach to ask a recruit to transfer for the same reasons.

If people can't be polite and respectful (and not dismissive) of those players, then I think anyone on the team is fair game.
                          I haven't read any of the news articles about Taylor transferring. Did Coach Marshall ask him to transfer, or did he made that decision on his own?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                            Evan was responsible for the Shocks getting several extra possesions a game via steal, block, charge taken, offensive rebound & defensive rebound.

Consistenty. Game after game. No exceptions.
                            You probably shouldn't include blocks in this because a block doesn't necessarily guarantee an extra possession. Also Evan only had 2 blocks the whole season. All the other players that saw significant playing time had more blocks. Even Fred had 3 blocks for the season.

Coach Marshall started Evan every game because he knew what he was going to get. Also, toward the end of the season and in the NCAA tournament, you'll notice that Coach Marshall wasn't playing Evan as much even though he was still starting. It wasn't necessarily who started the game, but who was finishing the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                              I haven't read any of the news articles about Taylor transferring. Did Coach Marshall ask him to transfer, or did he made that decision on his own?
                              I've yet to see any evidence that Marshall asked Ty to leave (in contrast with, for example, Justin Coleman of Alabama, who came out and said that he and Avery Johnson agreed that it was best for him to transfer out). People assume things, because "everyone knows" that's how it really happens, when in fact no one who posts on SN has any idea what really happens in such decisions. It's just message board foolishness.

In any case, many kudos to Ty for his post of appreciation to WSU -- absolutely the picture of class. Best of luck and much success to him wherever he goes.

Comment

• Taylor committed in September of 2014, shortly after Shamet. At that point he knew he would be a 2nd or 3rd string PG in '15-'16. This was the competition he was looking at for backcourt minutes in '16-'17 and beyond at that time - Brown, Henderson, Holland, and Shamet. None of which had ever played a collegiate game at that point. If you're a talented, confident PG with numerous high-major schools interested in you, that sounds like a pretty good situation to step into. If you're a coach who probably already has doubts about at least one of those backcourt guys already on the roster, a player like Taylor is an important commit.

Flash forward a year and a half and the competition for backcourt minutes in '16-'17 is Shamet, Brown, Frankamp, Allen, Smith, Keyser, Reaves, and Taylor. I think its safe to assume Smith and Allen are going to take Baker and Van Vleet's spots ahead of Taylor on the Guard depth chart, so even if he stays ahead of the two incoming Freshmen, he's not looking at anything more than mop up minutes for the next two years. Redshirting is an option, but Marshall is going to keep recruiting, so there's no guarantee Taylor is ever going to be an important piece of the puzzle. If I'm Taylor, I transfer, and if I'm Marshall, I want him to transfer, both for Ty's sake, and for the program going forward.

The bottom-line is, based on the information they had in September of 2014, Marshall made a good decision to offer Taylor a scholarship and Taylor made a good decision to take it. Just because the information available in April of 2016 leads both of them to decide its best for him to go elsewhere, that doesn't make the first decision bad. A good shot is a good shot, regardless of whether it goes in or not.

Marshall gets paid a lot of money to put together a roster capable of winning conference titles and NCAA tournament games year in and year out. That's the level WSU is at now. You don't get there or stay there by setting aside 2 or 3 of your 13 precious scholarships each year for guys you've put out to pasture.

Good luck to Taylor, by all accounts he is a good kid and he should make a good D-1 player somewhere. I know some Valley schools recruited him. I wouldn't mind him going to one of those and continuing to help WSU by raising an opponent's RPI.

Comment

Working...
                                X