NIT & Other Tournament Scores and Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIT & Other Tournament Scores and Discussion Thread

I would prefer not to mingle the NIT with the NCAA discussion even though there may not be much interest in the NIT.

I was a little disappointed to see the St. Bonaventure (a 1 seed) fell 75-79 to Wagner (an 8 seed). Not that I really care that much about the Bonnies but they were a team that has often been highlighted as an example of a team that the NCAA Selection Committee whiffed on. This loss makes that argument a little more difficult to make.

I suppose you could argue that a team like St. Bonaventure simply was to disappointed in missing the Big Dance to care much about the NIT. It has happened before.

For the most part it looks like there have been some entertaining games in the NIT.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 17, 2016, 05:05 PM.

Can add a non-nit score to this? UN-Omaha lost to Duquesne last night 112-120. UNO scored 80 points in the second half. Those stats just seem unreal to me. Jake White ended his career scoring 15.

Total lack of defense.

Comment

nm
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
        Can add a non-nit score to this? UN-Omaha lost to Duquesne last night 112-120. UNO scored 80 points in the second half. Those stats just seem unreal to me. Jake White ended his career scoring 15.

Total lack of defense.
        Jake also had four fouls (which actually made him better than some of the others in the game) -- maybe they were all blocking fouls as he tried to play defense by drawing charges, and the refs of course weren't buying it, because the book on Jake still says that when a collision occurs, he's blocking.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I would prefer not to mingle the NIT with the NCAA discussion even though there may not be much interest in the NIT.

I was a little disappointed to see the St. Bonaventure (a 1 seed) fell 75-79 to Wagner (an 8 seed). Not that I really care that much about the Bonnies but they were a team that has often been highlighted as an example of a team that the NCAA Selection Committee whiffed on. This loss makes that argument a little more difficult to make.

I suppose you could argue that a team like St. Bonaventure simply was to disappointed in missing the Big Dance to care much about the NIT. It has happened before.

For the most part it looks like there have been some entertaining games in the NIT.
          I believe this is the 5th year in a row an 8 seed has beaten a 1 seed in the NIT. My guess, most of those 1 seeds that got upset are so distraught from not making the big dance that they play like they just don't care.

Or, those 8 seeds that have won see the NIT as their Super Bowl, so to speak, and play the game of their lives

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post

Total lack of defense.
            Pretty good FT shooting in that game. The two teams combined to hit 63-80 for 78.75% Duquesne shot 62.7% from the field including 12-24 treys. Omaha shot 42.5% from the field but took 80 shots to only 59 for Duquesne. Omaha was 15-35 on treys for a decent 42.9%. Paul Westhead would have been proud of both teams.

Unfortunately, Duquesne could not quite fill up their 4,400 seat arena. Attendance was 609.

Comment

Average attendance at the 16 opening round NIT games was 4,317.

8 games were hosted by P5 conference schools where average attendance was 4,177.

8 games were hosted by Non-P5 conference schools where average attendance was 4,457 (and that included 2 games that drew less then 1,200 - @St. Mary's and @ GW)

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Average attendance at the 16 opening round NIT games was 4,317.

8 games were hosted by P5 conference schools where average attendance was 4,177.

8 games were hosted by Non-P5 conference schools where average attendance was 4,457 (and that included 2 games that drew less then 1,200 - @St. Mary's and @ GW)
                The Washington at San Diego St game is sold out with over 12000 in attendance.

Comment

San Diego State is kind of an anomaly among college teams in California -- they seem to have extremely enthusiastic basketball fans who actually show up.

Comment

Nevada advanced to the semifinals of the CBI with a big 2nd half against Eastern Washington.

Freshman Cameron Oliver (he of the highlight in traffic reverse dunk and windmill dunk in the Chuck) continues his rapid accent into NBA discussion.

28-14 and 4 blocks last night. He's averaging north of 17-12 his last 11 with several dominant performances.

Comment

Steve Forbes' Bucs are on CBS Sports right now if anyone is looking for some late night late March weekday basketball.

Comment

East Tennessee State beats a decent La Tech squad 88-83 and will play an even better Oakland team tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                          Steve Forbes' Bucs are on CBS Sports right now if anyone is looking for some late night late March weekday basketball.
                          Ron Baker and Evan Wessel in attendance sporting ETSU gear!
                          https://twitter.com/ForbesETSUhoops/status/714745173197107200

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                            Ron Baker and Evan Wessel in attendance sporting ETSU gear!
                            https://twitter.com/ForbesETSUhoops/...45173197107200
                            Very cool to see these cats supporting their former coach. Thanks for sharing!
                            Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Dang Steve looks way different than I remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X