About Arizona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Arizona

Hey guys. I'm in Arizona fan, but I come in peace. You guys have a great program and a great team. I'm not going to lie, I think you're a much better team than we should have to be playing in the first round. But you have to beat good teams to get anywhere in this tournament.

I figured that I might just give you a rundown of this years Arizona team.

Arizona has lost a lot of talent in the last two years. While they're nowhere near the quality of basketball team they were in either of last two years, I actually think they might be a slightly superior offensive team. The issue, is that they are not very good defensively. I believe can come as them ranked in the 40s and just from the eye test, I think that's a bit generous. Maybe it's just deceiving because they were a top three Defense nationally the last two years.

This year's team has some skilled kids, but it doesn't have a lot of NBA talent. Both Alonzo Trier and Kaleb Tarczewski should play in the NBA and probably for quite a few years. I don't happen to think that either of them has star or even starter potential, but they will be useful NBA parts and as you might expect hands are pretty darn good college players.

Below is my player by player breakdown of this years Arizona squad:

Trier: really solid scorer. NBA level moves but "meh" athleticism. I'd say he's slightly above average athletically for a college wing man. Real good ball handler for a wing player, decent shooter and incredibly skilled at getting to the line. Really efficient scorer. Okay on defense but nothing to write home about. Value definitely lies in making buckets.

Kaleb - great rebounder and position defender at 7 feet. Incredibly strong and fit. Arms are short so he's just okay as a shot blocker. Bad hands and a bit methodical in the post. Just okay offensively but still a really great player.

Ryan Anderson - former Mr. basketball in CA so he's got talent. A real solid under the rim scoring four. A double double machine. When he's on put him down for 18 and 10. But he struggles with length. If you can challenge his shot you can frustrate him

Gave York - STREAKY. When he's on he's a world class jump shooter. BUT he's the type of guy that follows 6-6 with 0-6. Has added some diversity to his offensive game but really doesn't offer much besides scoring the ball.

----

Those are clearly the top 4. after that, it's a bunch of role players.

Kadeem Allen - was the former JUCO national player of the year two years ago and then redshirted. Really solid athlete at 6'3" tall and he has a 6'9" wingspan so he's a really good defender and shot blocker. He's just an OK jump shooter, but he's pretty good going to the basket and is a useful piece on offense.

Dusan Ristic - really skilled offensively, but he's in a bit of a slump. He's below average defensively and is merely OK on the boards.

Parker Jackson Cartwright - small point guard. Superquick. Probably the best creator of offense on the team. However he's not very strong and when played physically he can be prone to making poor decisions and turning the ball over. He shot the ball pretty well from three second half of the year. I believe he was around 50% from three during pac 12 play.

Mark Tollefson - fifth year senior. Kind of awkward and gangly. Is a surprisingly good jumper, but is generally a liability both offense and especially on defense. He can shoot it from three a little bit but I think the Wildcats are best when he's on the bench.

Chance Commanche - kind of an X factor. Really high profile recruit. Came in skinny but has added some weight. Close to 7 feet And with an advanced offensive repertoire. He's really quite good when he gets some run. Miller seems to be trusting him more recently, and I think he could really make it impact on the game he gets 10 to 15 minutes.

Overall, I expect this to be a very close game. Arizona is in a transition year. They really don't have a lot of game changing talent and athleticism. However, they are well coached and they're quite good offensively. Really looking forward to a great game!

I've watched Zona a number of times this year and that is a really good and balanced breakdown. Thank you.

Comment

As several fans have done already, I thank you for the break down.

There are likely more qualified SN members to give a break down on this years WSU team, however, this years team has an incredible sense of pace. They will speed you up when you don't want to be, and when they feel you speeding WSU up they will slow the game down to get the pace where it wants to be.

I really believe WSU matches-up with AZ better than they did with Vandy so we will see how this goes. Bu thank you for visiting in peace and offering a very good scouting report!
      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

So where is this "Arizona" from?

When I saw this matchup I couldn't stop cussing. My worst nightmare! One of my two favorite teams will be eliminated in the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by GarH View Post
          So where is this "Arizona" from?

When I saw this matchup I couldn't stop cussing. My worst nightmare! One of my two favorite teams will be eliminated in the first round.
          I fondly remember one of Lutes' early pillars of success being none other than Wichita's own Eddie Smith.

I watched PAC 10 games every Sunday night just to see Sean Elliot, et al. run wild in the desert. Oh how I hated when they lost to the sooners in the semis.

But I LOVED it when they beat the chickens in '97. Too bad it wasn't a best of seven, huh chickens?

Comment

I had season tickets for Lute's first 10 years there. I loved watching him build that program. I remember Eddie he was the 6' 5" (power forward) and Pete Williams was the 6'6" (center), but they had a ton of heart.

Comment

Thanks man, really appreciate the knowledge on Arizona. Excited for the game, always fun to get a crack at some of the blue bloods. Obviously it is defense that really drives our success. No. 1 in KenPom defensively and it really shows. Our defense keeps us in the game when our offense sputters, which is often, but when our offense goes it can get ugly quick. If guys like McDuffie, Brown, and Frankamp are hitting shots and playing confident early, then we are really hard to beat. The Vanderbilt game was a prime example. Our offense was inept most of the first half, yet we still entered halftime 30-30. Our offense picked it up in the second, defense stayed solid, and we ran away with a victory. So it really depends on the players not named Baker and FVV to step up, because if they don't step up, then Arizona can focus on stopping Baker and FVV and they will.

Arizona's size does not scare me. It would have at the beginning of the season but Gregg Marshall has done a really good job scheming and matching up the right guys to stop the several elite big men we have faced this year. I think it's going to be neck and neck most of the game and just hope FVV hits the big shots he so often does in March. Would be surprised if either team wins by more than 5.

Best of luck to Arizona. Here's to hoping for a classic.

Comment

This may be a small and unimportant comment to some.

I want to start by saying I have all the respect for Arizona and am looking forward to playing them. Additionally, they are a top level program. However, with all due respect, they are not a Top Tier Blue Blood level (Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, perhaps UCLA) type of program at this time imo. They would be on the next tier.

Comment

I always have a warm place in my heart for Arizona '97.

Reading your descriptions and knowing WSU I go back to my original analysis -- I like this matchup for us.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post

I want to start by saying I have all the respect for Arizona and am looking forward to playing them. Additionally, they are a top level program. However, with all due respect, they are not a Top Tier Blue Blood level (Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, perhaps UCLA) type of program at this time imo. They would be on the next tier.
                    Don't sleep on Sean Miller... He helped build Xavier, and can really run a program

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                      Don't sleep on Sean Miller... He helped build Xavier, and can really run a program
                      To say nothing of his half time performance in the roundhouse during the McDonalds all-American game. Or his dime to Jerome Lane. He was talented.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post

With Mich. St. and Louisville? Who would argue?...

Perhaps UCLA?

Comment

The wife and I met some great Arizona fans in Atlanta a couple of years ago. These fans, like so many, make the trip to the Final Four every year just to take in the atmosphere. Now, they were also great because they reminded me of my grandparents which are maybe the sweetest people in the entire world, but that's beside the point. Thanks for stopping by!

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
                            The wife and I met some great Arizona fans in Atlanta a couple of years ago. These fans, like so many, make the trip to the Final Four every year just to take in the atmosphere. Now, they were also great because they reminded me of my grandparents which are maybe the sweetest people in the entire world, but that's beside the point. Thanks for stopping by!
                            My folks moved from Ark City to Tucson several years ago; there is a large older community there, so they tend to be nice people, and nice fans. (But I still hope we beat them!) Several asked me about "Play Angry", thinking it wasn't "a very nice slogan". I had to convince them it wasn't "Play Mean" but just to play focused, intense.

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                              My folks moved from Ark City to Tucson several years ago; there is a large older community there, so they tend to be nice people, and nice fans. (But I still hope we beat them!) Several asked me about "Play Angry", thinking it wasn't "a very nice slogan". I had to convince them it wasn't "Play Mean" but just to play focused, intense.
                              Tucson sounds a lot like Del Boca Vista!
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                              X