Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Definitive Argument Why The Shockers Deserve (And Will) Receive An At-large Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
    That clearly took some time to put that post together. Thanks @Jamar Howard 4 President:.
    I'm not actually doing a full bracket myself anymore, so this qualified as my annual mid-March research project. Been piecing it together ever since Saturday's loss. Was hoping there wouldn't be any need for it, but St. Louis is what it is... gosh that place just has something wrong with it!

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
      Fantastic, Jamar Howard 4 President.

I only have one question. Why are you not running for President?
      I'm not very good at lying to people to tell them what they want to hear.

I keep telling the real Jamar to run, but he seems to think his past on the Bel Aire most wanted list is somehow a disqualifier.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
        I'm not very good at lying to people to tell them what they want to hear.

I keep telling the real Jamar to run, but he seems to think his past on the Bel Aire most wanted list is somehow a disqualifier.
        Sorry to go off subject, but when FSU came into Koch for the NIT game and Jamar and the kid from FSU basically went Mano e Mano for the last 20-25 minutes of that game, hitting 3's, etc., does anybody remember the kid from FSU's name?
        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
          Sorry to go off subject, but when FSU came into Koch for the NIT game and Jamar and the kid from FSU basically went Mano e Mano for the last 20-25 minutes of that game, hitting 3's, etc., does anybody remember the kid from FSU's name?
          Yes, it was Tim Pickett. That was one of the best and most exciting games (and loudest) that I have ever been to.

Comment

Originally posted by Wuchalk View Post
            Yes, it was Tim Pickett. That was one of the best and most exciting games (and loudest) that I have ever been to.
            Yes, I had ring side seats that game and couldn't hear myself think. Best atmosphere ever.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

The best part was Koch stood the entire game. Best atmosphere easily.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                Fantastic, Jamar Howard 4 President.

I only have one question. Why are you not running for President?
                JH4P4P!!!

Comment

With so many in the media regurgitating dumb arguments, what are the odds that the committee also uses the same wrong reasoning? I mean it's not like the committee has shown us a lot of love the last couple years with Bracket of Death and the seven seed.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingWheat View Post
                    With so many in the media regurgitating dumb arguments, what are the odds that the committee also uses the same wrong reasoning? I mean it's not like the committee has shown us a lot of love the last couple years with Bracket of Death and the seven seed.
                    reading shockernet has made me feel better about the shockers chances at getting into the tournament. but still...

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingWheat View Post
                      There's been enough written about the committee and their process that I feel pretty comfortable they will take all things into consideration during their deliberations. One thing we all have to remember is the media makes money when people pay attention to them. A big part of that is creating controversy where there is none or taking a small kernel of truth and making it bigger than it really is. This bubble watch thing is a perfect storm for them in that they are building quite the narrative leading up to Sunday's selection show. I mean, they've turned it into a two hour bore fest if you ask me. Sort of like what the NFL has done with the draft. That thing has turned into another ratings and advertising goldmine.

So all the bloviating by the CBS talking heads is nothing more than drawing attention to their stupid bracket show that, quite frankly, I won't watch. I've got better things to do and I'll just wait for my B/R app to push the selection to my phone.

Comment

If I was putting together a tournament of teams with RPI 101-200, WSU would definitely be in. When putting together a tournament of the top 50 I would tend to look at success against the top 50 (1-4) and the top 100 (3-3) and not weight success against the 101+ teams as highly since these are teams that won't be in the tournament. This is where I get nervous. I think we get in, but that is where the "quality wins" discussion comes into play.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                          If I was putting together a tournament of teams with RPI 101-200, WSU would definitely be in. When putting together a tournament of the top 50 I would tend to look at success against the top 50 (1-4) and the top 100 (3-3) and not weight success against the 101+ teams as highly since these are teams that won't be in the tournament. This is where I get nervous. I think we get in, but that is where the "quality wins" discussion comes into play.
                          This argument only makes sense if you assume success against 101-200 cannot be correlated with success against the top 50. It's not like we are taking a team with success against elementary school soccer teams and trying to predict how they'll do in the NCAA basketball tournament.

Comment

Can this go straight into the Shockernet Hall of Posts without a waiting period?

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                              This argument only makes sense if you assume success against 101-200 cannot be correlated with success against the top 50. It's not like we are taking a team with success against elementary school soccer teams and trying to predict how they'll do in the NCAA basketball tournament.
                              Sorry I don't follow. 8-1 (101 - 200) to me does not correlate to 1-4 (1 - 50) at all. They are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                                Sorry I don't follow. 8-1 (101 - 200) to me does not correlate to 1-4 (1 - 50) at all. They are at opposite ends of the spectrum.
                                WSU has performed as well, or better, against the 101-200 range than the average top 25 team has. Why make an entire judgement off of just 5 games and ignore the other 80% of the schedule? If the season was 1,000 games long, I'd have no problem evaluating solely on record vs tournament quality teams. Since the season, and sample size, is instead rather small, we must look at games outside the top 50 and factor those into the entire resume.

Flip a quarter 5 times and you might get heads 4 of them. Flip a quarter 1,000 times and you will be nearly dead on 50/50. Sample size matters.

EDIT: 1 more point. WSU wasn't even full strength for those 5 games vs top 50, so the sample size is even worse than a mere 5 games.

Comment

Working...
                                X