Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promo Problem

Dear Athletic Department,

I am aware that the in game (time out) promotions are necessary in order to help raise money. However, as fans we want to give our team every advantage possible when playing at home, as well as have an enjoyable experience ourselves. Having a high energy environment is essential not only in helping us win games, but also in growing the reputation and brand that is Shocker Basketball. I believe this issue has been raised before, however I am not suggesting that you eliminate promotions during time-outs, I am merely advocating that a system be in place that would allow for the use of discretion in how promotions are exercised. For example, when the Shockers are making a run and the opposing team calls for a timeout, the band starts playing, and the crowed is energized and loud, it would be more advantageous for everyone involved if signs or banners promoting the sponsor were presented in lieu quieting the crowed to play a game at center court. This would be the exception rather than the rule and be used only when appropriate. I believe a solution such as this would still provide a promotional service to the sponsor, greatly improve the fan experience, and most of all help ensure a Shocker victory. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

All of Shocker Nation

I am open to ideas, but would something like this emailed a few thousand times to our athletic department be a good idea? Seems like nothing ever changes and I am sick of it.
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
    -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Would love for them to just use their heads, bUT i guess they have to do these carnival games. That UNI game was awful when we tied it up at 44. "This loud ovation brought to you by...." and let the crowd keep going nuts.

Comment

There are 4 official timeouts per half.

If its an official timeout, you get a promo.

If not, no promo. Problem solved?

Ok.
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

Ok.
        Not necessarily solved. An official timeout can still be triggered by a voluntary timeout to stop a run or to quiet the crowd. Arm chair free throws stop the intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

Ok.
          How about bringing the promos into modern day? How about a DJ????

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
            How about bringing the promos into modern day? How about a DJ????
            No, No and a firm NO. If you're going to have a promo, get it over with. I've been to these DJ things at the Thanksgiving tourneys and the suck worse than buying a used car.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
              No, No and a firm NO. If you're going to have a promo, get it over with. I've been to these DJ things at the Thanksgiving tourneys and the suck worse than buying a used car.
              Mildly disagree...and realize comparing the pro game to college is two different beasts, but I've always enjoyed the dj at the Thunder game....but I can see where not all would like it...

Comment

THis discussion seems to come up every season and the universal consensus has been that promos suck but until someone somewhere figures out a better system, we are stuck with them.
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                  THis discussion seems to come up every season and the universal consensus has been that promos suck but until someone somewhere figures out a better system, we are stuck with them.
                  The solution is someone buys the promo spot and says "I'd like to not have anything said about my company, please let the band play."

Will that happen? No. lol
                  ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                    The solution is someone buys the promo spot and says "I'd like to not have anything said about my company, please let the band play."

Will that happen? No. lol
                    Just put up on the scoreboard .. "This Moment of Crowd Intensity brought to you by ....." I'd be more likely to go to a store that did that rather than In The Bag Cleaners and their dumb promo.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                      Just put up on the scoreboard .. "This Moment of Crowd Intensity brought to you by ....." I'd be more likely to go to a store that did that rather than In The Bag Cleaners and their dumb promo.
                      Especially since theirs is a guaranteed winner, if the person isn't going to make it to WU he just walks up to them as time expires. Just give them the gift certificate and move on. IIRC this one is always one of the late second half TO's so potentially at a critical juncture in a game. If it happens again where its close at this time I'd like to see the students start a "Lets Go Shockers" chant or something and we just drown out the stupid promo.

Comment

The UNI game was the worst. The Shox had just completed a 17-2 run to tie the game at 44. The place was going absolutely bonkers. Nobody, NOBODY was sitting down. Everybody was up and LOUD. A time-out is called. The energy in the building was at a season high. And what happens...we have a KWCH weather update on the video board and then the stupid musical chairs game. By the end of the timeout, everyone was seated and the energy in the building was completely gone. I'm not saying this caused the team to go over 7 minutes without a field goal, but I can guarantee you if the band was playing during that timeout and the crowd was still into it, the team would have felt that energy coming out of the timeout. FRUSTRATING!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hardyhar View Post
                          The UNI game was the worst. The Shox had just completed a 17-2 run to tie the game at 44. The place was going absolutely bonkers. Nobody, NOBODY was sitting down. Everybody was up and LOUD. A time-out is called. The energy in the building was at a season high. And what happens...we have a KWCH weather update on the video board and then the stupid musical chairs game. By the end of the timeout, everyone was seated and the energy in the building was completely gone. I'm not saying this caused the team to go over 7 minutes without a field goal, but I can guarantee you if the band was playing during that timeout and the crowd was still into it, the team would have felt that energy coming out of the timeout. FRUSTRATING!!!!
                          Been saying that since the moment it happend. What a joke. I know they have to squeeze things in but use some common sense. Also if we arent going to get halftime entertainment, get most the promos out of the way then. Pretty sure the weather report can be done at anytime.Not after a 17-2 run to shut up the hometown crowd.

Comment

Since we can't get any halftime entertainment these days, how about they move all of the promotions to halftime. No offense to the rest of our outstanding student-athletes competing in other sports besides men's basketball, but I really don't care to hear all of their names being called. Unless you bring back Quick-Change or the dogs chasing frisbees, I don't want to see some kid airball a free-throw or some blind-folded shmuck wander around the court. We, as a united Shocker Nation, should be focused on creating an intimidating atmosphere for opponents!

Comment

I will not watch the In The Bag under no circumstances. I immediately grab my phone and keep my head straight down. Not only is it an incredibly played out promotion, but it's a stupid game. When WU thinks it's funny and moves, it defeats the whole point of the game. Put a stationary object on the ground and make the contestant crawl, i.e. the cash crawl.

Anyway, yah the promos are stupid. They completely kill any atmosphere. WSU wouldn't stop doing it if they received one single dollar bill for it. Any amount of money supersedes atmosphere with this department now.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                              X