Official Drake Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Off topic, I haven't seen the travel out of bounds call made in quite some time.
    I had my head turned so I didn't see it but had an idea what happened. Sure enough after watching replay, I see that the guy took about 3 or 4 steps on an inbound after a foul. Nope...cannot do that. Like you said, you certainly don't see that very often.

Didn't you tell me about a little issue you once had with that kind of play back long ago in a galaxy far, far away when you did some coaching?
    78-65

Comment

• NM

Comment

There is NO doubt in my mind Baker was trying to get others involved for the benefit of the long term. Ron Baker and Fred VanVleet are the best teammates I've ever seen at WSU and perhaps anywhere.

You can hardly show an INSTANT where they are negative...not to each other, not to a coach, not to a ref....help people up, they prop up struggling teammates...they cheer lead, they are happiest when their teammates succeed.

They are amazing young men, and better basketball players.

Baker dominated when he decided to take over. Best player, by far, in this conference, maybe the country.

Fred stirs the drink and was only not the best player because Ron was on the court.

I thought Shaq was very, very good. He has 2 concerns....going hard for more than a couple minutes, and what to do when Fred isn't out there. He's not the same. But he was excellent tonight and his motor was running.

Zach Brown keeps getting better. Great energy, LOVED the way he attacked the offensive glass.

McDuffie looked like a freshman today. Man was that fading 3 a bad shot in the first half.

Thought Grady was ok. Not great, but getting better. Still need to get him more touches.

Conner is getting more comfortable. 2-5 from 3 and 2 of them were bad shots...bad in that his form was off. I'd be willing to wager he's over 40% from 3 the rest of the way. Defense is still lacking. No more nice guy for Conner, get after it and bust your ass young man on defense or keep little Bush company. You've got the talent, use it.

Absolutely loved Kelly's motor today. He played at a different speed....hair on fire speed. Is there any chance he could finish a play though?

Ty looked like he hadn't been in a game for awhile, but I'm going to worry about a kid that got pulled when 3G decided JR was a MUCH safer option.

Nurger tried hard and got hurt because of it. Feel bad for this kid. Should be redshirting.

Now the bad ...... I will go to April believing this team is a good shooting team, perhaps a VERY good or dangerous shooting team. But we're more than a third through the season. Right now we're a POOR shooting team. Under 41% is insanely bad. #301 in shooting. Yikes. Evansville is #4 at 52.30%. Do you realize how good we have to be everywhere else to overcome that kind of disparity? 18 times? I realize everyone can't shoot that well, or against our defense which is incredible. But still, with today's rules, you have to be able to score consistently and we struggle. If we make ANYTHING today the score's probably 85-50. Maybe worse. But until we can score with some consistency, we're going to be in danger of losing games we shouldn't.

I've watched a lot of Valley play....WSU is BY FAR the best team. It's not close. Even with UNI playing their best they are no match for our A- game. Probably even our B+. But we have to make shots.

"It's really not fair Evan is in the same class with Ron and Fred, 2 guys that should have their jerseys retired. He's so valuable. Great D, gets every loose ball. Never have 300 career points been so important to a program."

Don't tell this to your good friend Khan. He prefers to plant EW on the bench and play certain Freshman instead.
        Wow, just wow.

That is all.
        Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
          I had my head turned so I didn't see it but had an idea what happened. Sure enough after watching replay, I see that the guy took about 3 or 4 steps on an inbound after a foul. Nope...cannot do that. Like you said, you certainly don't see that very often.

Didn't you tell me about a little issue you once had with that kind of play back long ago in a galaxy far, far away when you did some coaching?
          Actually had that issue coaching AND playing. I took the ball out after a made basket, ran the baseline and dribbled once. The other coach went nuts. No call. The officials were confused what to do. There coach got t'd up. I missed both FTs. Pirate's proof I suspect.

Yes I got T'd up when I protested a guy running the baseline after a foul call. I was slightly out of the coach's box (and this was in the seat belt days) when I entered the jump ball circle in the middle of the court. How I didn't get tossed for calling the R an "effing B" (unfiltered) is a question I'll never be able to answer.

Probably had to do with the fact they totally blew the call with my team down 2 in the last 30 seconds of a tourney semi final game where my team was making a spirited comeback.

Many, many free throws later the game was over.

Comment

Actually had that issue coaching AND playing. I took the ball out after a made basket, ran the baseline and dribbled once. The other coach went nuts. No call. The officials were confused what to do. There coach got t'd up. I missed both FTs. Pirate's proof I suspect.

Yes I got T'd up when I protested a guy running the baseline after a foul call. I was slightly out of the coach's box (and this was in the seat belt days) when I entered the jump ball circle in the middle of the court. How I didn't get tossed for calling the R an "effing B" (unfiltered) is a question I'll never be able to answer.

Probably had to do with the fact they totally blew the call with my team down 2 in the last 30 seconds of a tourney semi final game where my team was making a spirited comeback.

Many, many free throws later the game was over.
            Was it out of a timeout? If so, that's really bad officiating.
            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
              Was it out of a timeout? If so, that's really bad officiating.
              We had scored off our press to cut it to 2. They threw the ball in and we got a deflection out of bounds (I thought it was off the other team, but had no beef because it was the opposite end of the court. Our team had 2 of the best kids I've ever known and they were as honest as the day is long. If it was off them, they'd eagerly say it....they both reacted as if it was going to be our ball.)

The officials chatted and said the ball would remain with the other team. Everybody was in scramble mode and they couldn't find anyone open, the kid with the ball ran from the left corner to the other side of the basket before he saw someone open to throw it into. By the time our kids trapped the guy and got called for a foul, I was the 6th person on the court and the 2 was running to bear hug me (not an easy feat I promise you) to prevent a further advancement on the R.

Comment

We had scored off our press to cut it to 2. They threw the ball in and we got a deflection out of bounds (I thought it was off the other team, but had no beef because it was the opposite end of the court. Our team had 2 of the best kids I've ever known and they were as honest as the day is long. If it was off them, they'd eagerly say it....they both reacted as if it was going to be our ball.)

The officials chatted and said the ball would remain with the other team. Everybody was in scramble mode and they couldn't find anyone open, the kid with the ball ran from the left corner to the other side of the basket before he saw someone open to throw it into. By the time our kids trapped the guy and got called for a foul, I was the 6th person on the court and the 2 was running to bear hug me (not an easy feat I promise you) to prevent a further advancement on the R.
                Ah gotcha, yea that's still pretty bad. Everytime I give the ball to the inbounder I always say spot throw in or "baseline's available" in the case of a timeout after made basket. It's a good habit to get into for the players sake but also to remind you as an official what is going to happen.
                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                  Ah gotcha, yea that's still pretty bad.
                  I concur, and that was the same conclusion I unsuccessfully attempted to impart onto the effing B that blew the call.

Even though I believe they knew they blew the call, I have no idea why I didn't get tossed.

The following season I got run from my final game coaching for telling the R he was nuttier than a fruitcake.

As a side note, one of the fans behind me asked, quite politely I think "You're throwing him out for nuttier than a fruitcake?"

He was asked if he wanted to join me....he declined the invitation.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                    I made a resolution to screw with everyone on this board at least once a week this year. Done for this week ��
                    We probably should come clean you and I flipped a coin on who the straight guy was going to be on this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                      I doubt JRS will start but I wouldn't be surprised to see him first off the bench in the backcourt.
                      He will be a senior with pretty good ball handling skills, a nice outside shot, and understanding
                      of what GM expects. Its the latter that could make him GM's choice for more minutes.
                      Great points! I don't see JRS getting a lot of playing time, this year or next, as a bad thing. He's proven himself as a reliable PG. If next season were to start today, I think he'd be our starting PG, without a doubt. Of course there's still ten months to go, and don't we have a highly touted juco PG coming in next season?
                      "The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning."
                      -- Pele

Comment

• I can't believe this is still going.

Comment

• Next up from shoxlax: Gregg Marshall to consider Walmart Vision over Specs.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Perezident View Post
                            If next season were to start today, I think he'd be our starting PG, without a doubt. Of course there's still ten months to go, and don't we have a highly touted juco PG coming in next season?
                            If next season were today in this hypothetical universe - wouldn't Shamet be healed? Wouldn't we also have our highly touted juco PG here? If JRS is ever starting at WSU in his career then things have went really bad.....

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                              If next season were today in this hypothetical universe - wouldn't Shamet be healed? Wouldn't we also have our highly touted juco PG here? If JRS is ever starting at WSU in his career then things have went really bad.....
                              I expect him to start on senior night next year lol

Comment

• Gregg's never done that in the 8 years he's been here, best as I can remember.

Comment

Working...
                                X