Controversial topic...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
    Do your research and eat your words dumbass.
    Per the below article, there were 10 teams with a lower seed who received at large berths in 2013. And that doesn't include those who were also 9 seeds who were lower on the s curve. I didn't look that up to see if there were any.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

*on mobile and can't do links.

So yeah, we weren't even close to not making the tournament. #research
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

The nay-Sayers and contrarians have become a bore regurgitating somebody else's posts in their own words over and over again. The whole "We are in so much trouble, we have no chance of an at large, we MUST win the MVC tourney or we are out...but I sure hope I get proven wrong" shtick is getting tired.
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
        Per the below article, there were 10 teams with a lower seed who received at large berths in 2013. And that doesn't include those who were also 9 seeds who were lower on the s curve. I didn't look that up to see if there were any.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

*on mobile and can't do links.

So yeah, we weren't even close to not making the tournament. #research

Real easy, ask Sully. Most had WSU on the last 4 in or the 1st 4 out. Losing to either one of the lower seeds in the 1st 2 games would have dropped them.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          WSU fans should not expect any benefit of doubt from the NCAA - WSU just needs to go out and dominate this flaming burning stinking pile of conference and sweep STL and keep it out of the NCAA hands and make the MVC a 1 bid conference. Just win.
          Unfortunately, some things that really matter are NEVER out of the NCAA's hands, i.e., seeding, region, opponents. They will do what they always do -- make it easier for the P5 schools to advance.

Comment

I think there's a difference between a 2pt win and a 40 point win. I think there's a difference between a 15 point win and a 30 point win. I think if we starting dismantling teams by 30 to 40 points every night it becomes difficult for people to say that we're not one of the 60 best teams in the Country no matter who we're playing.

Unfortunately as of right now we're certainly not a lock for the tournament. In fact I'd say based on our current resume we're out. Running up the score on teams at this point ought to be on the table in my opinion. I'm pretty sure it won't be though. If we don't win the conference tournament and don't receive a bid with 23 wins or so, I think I'll look back and say maybe we should have run up the score as much as possible. Winning by 8 or 10 or 12 is not unusual and there's going to be several 22 or 23 win teams that do it. Winning by 30 nightly would help set us apart from those other teams when comparisons are being drawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
              Side note: Buddy Hield.

What a load. Too bad we were unsuccessful in recruiting him.
              While I see the point here being that Hield is an incredible player, an absolute stud, I'm not sure I agree with the conclusion that it's too bad we were unsuccessful in recruiting him. If we had him, would Fred be Fred? Would Ron be Ron? Who do you give up in order to have him? I guess I can see him being pushed in at the 2/3 and playing alongside Ron and Fred, but do you really want Tekele on the bench the last 2 years? I like Hield, but I like our 1-2 punch even better.

Comment

Real easy, ask Sully. Most had WSU on the last 4 in or the 1st 4 out. Losing to either one of the lower seeds in the 1st 2 games would have dropped them.
                But "they" aren't the selection committee. And again, if we were so close to not making the tournament, then why were there so many at large teams behind us? Us being ahead of at least 10 teams on the seed line has to tell you something.
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

But "they" aren't the selection committee. And again, if we were so close to not making the tournament, then why were there so many at large teams behind us? Us being ahead of at least 10 teams on the seed line has to tell you something.
                  #mathizhard

Comment

Do your research and eat your words dumbass.
                    Wrong again.

What a monumental moron.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Shocks had lost the last 2 regular season games and had a RPI of 42 heading into the tourney. Nolan had the Shocks as a 11 seed.
                      Are you saying their is 0 seed movement with league tourneys? Valley has a long history of teams getting hosed with the NCAA tourney. 1 or 2 less wins and 1 bad loss and it probably wasn't happening. Not a WSU official around who will say they had a locked bid before that tourney, guarantee you that.

Comment

Also not one around that will say we had no chance before that tourney either, guarantee you that.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                          Wrong again.

What a monumental moron.
                          And lastly just for you!

2011 WSU record prior to MVC Tourney 24-7 2nd place league NIT Bid
                          2013 WSU record prior to MVC Tourney 24-7 2nd place league NCAA Bid

Comment

We shouldn't expect sympathy from the selection committee. Every single year we've had a higher winning percentage than our seedline, a higher winning percentage against top100, a higher RPI, were higher in the AP Poll, and had a higher KenPom than the teams in our seedline. The only time we were placed correctly in regards to those factors was the year we were a #1 seed, and that year we had the luxury of getting the strongest bracket in tournament history, by a fairly large margin. According to KenPom, there were more strong teams in that region than all the others combined (6 of top 11, 7 of top 13). Even if you forget a little about the 8 seed going to the championship game and just look at opening expectations, you had three Final Four teams that brought back most of their rosters and what was widely believed to be the strongest 2 seed in Duke.

What would we need to miss the tournament? In 2010-2011 when we missed the tournament we were 22-6, 2-5 vs the top100 and ranked 38th in the RPI. With two losses, we'd likely end up around 22-7 with a 5-7 record vs the top 100 and an RPI of approximately 39. Three would make us 21-8, 4-8 against the top 100 (assuming all three were to UNI and the #3 team in the Valley), with an RPI of 48. I think two losses would be cutting it awfully close, 3 losses would make it almost certain just looking at the numbers. If we go undefeated or one loss we are not only in, but in rather comfortably with possibly with as high as a 4 or 5 seed (maybe 6-7 with one loss). In a very real sense, our remaining season is extremely short and each big game will have a very dramatic effect not only on our RPI but possibly on the way our previous losses are viewed.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by CBB_Fan; December 26, 2015, 10:16 PM.

Comment

And lastly just for you!

2011 WSU record prior to MVC Tourney 24-7 2nd place league NIT Bid
                              2013 WSU record prior to MVC Tourney 24-7 2nd place league NCAA Bid
                              You're seriously comparing records from 2 different years and treating them like everything else was exactly the same? What NCAA seed did the first place team get in 2011? What NCAA seed did the first place team get in 2013?

You're dumber than I even imagined. Possibly dumber than WillieJeffJeffries. That's a major OUCH.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Oh and ignore list my ass. You wouldn't be able to post here without me.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X