Controversial topic...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controversial topic...

One of the things that I really respect about Coach Marshall is that he doesn't attempt to run up the score on opponents. Up North there's no margin big enough. If they can drop 110 on you and beat you by 60 they will and don't care what it makes them look like in the process. I don't agree with that practice for a number of reasons and I don't really respect coaches that do.

However...we are out of marque games. And some folks are trying, somewhat successfully, to set the narrative that we've played ourselves out of an at large bid. I'm wondering if that narrative would change at all if we won every game from here on out by 30 or 40 points? Results like that would be difficult to ignore nationally and would draw a lot of attention. I think given our conference the opportunity is certainly there. Maybe not every game but the majority of them.

If this is what it took to get into the tournament would you do it?

To me, there is no difference between beating teams by 20-25 and beating teams by 35-40. Doing the former probably means emptying the bench when games get out of hand, which will help us in the future. Doing the latter probably has Ron and Fred playing 35 minutes against Bradley, Missouri State, and the like. That doesn't help us in future and has our main guys tired from the grind of the season.

Now, if we can beat the hell out of people by 40 and use the bench liberally, I'm all for it. Like I said though, proper use of the bench players is key. Play Ron and Fred 35-40 against Evansville and Northern Iowa...not so much against cellar dwellers.

Fortunately, our coach is Gregg Marshall, not Marty Simmons. Therefore, we'll be fine.
    78-65

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
      If this is what it took to get into the tournament would you do it?
      If this is what it took, of course you would do it. But it isn't what it takes and never will be. Soundly beating teams by 15+ is enough to remove any doubt at all. But the key is always, and always will be, just win.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Let's just get the W.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
          .. some folks are trying, somewhat successfully, to set the narrative that we've played ourselves out of an at large bid...
          a. Says who -- *******? Gottlieb? Who cares?

b. What makes you think they've been somewhat successful, Cap? Because they've made you nervous? They certainly aren't on the selection committee, and it would be more than a little surprising if they have the slightest impact on those who are.

Gotta toughen up a little.

Edit: By the way, for what it's worth -- speaking of Up North -- Warren Nolan's predicted conference standings as of a minute ago when I looked them up have The Glorious Flagship finishing tied for 4th (!) in the Big 12 minus 2, matching Texas at 11-7 and four games behind predicted champion Iowa State, three behind Oklahoma, and two behind Texas Tech (!!).

I'll believe that when it happens -- several pieces of it, actually, including Texas Tech 13-5 in conference play. But the reason I mention it is that at least one forecaster isn't much impressed by the big wins The Rug's guys have been laying on buy-game opponents. Nolan isn't on the selection committee either, obviously, but it highlights the point that margin of victory may or may not necessarily impress those who are. Better to keep the team healthy, rested, and ready than to worry about style points that may not even count for anything with the people who matter, who are NOT the pollsters.
          Last edited by WSUwatcher; December 26, 2015, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post

Edit: By the way, for what it's worth -- speaking of Up North -- Warren Nolan's predicted conference standings as of a minute ago when I looked them up have The Glorious Flagship finishing tied for 4th (!) in the Big 12 minus 2, matching Texas at 11-7 and four games behind predicted champion Iowa State, three behind Oklahoma, and two behind Texas Tech (!!).

I'll believe that when it happens -- several pieces of it, actually, including Texas Tech 13-5 in conference play. But the reason I mention it is that at least one forecaster isn't much impressed by the big wins The Rug's guys have been laying on buy-game opponents. Nolan isn't on the selection committee either, obviously, but it highlights the point that margin of victory may or may not necessarily impress those who are. Better to keep the team healthy, rested, and ready than to worry about style points that may not even count for anything with the people who matter, who are NOT the pollsters.
            This is the best KU team in at least 5 years. Not saying they will win the Big 12, because it is loaded this year, but they have played the best basketball I've seen a KU team play in 5 years.
            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
              This is the best KU team in at least 5 years. Not saying they will win the Big 12, because it is loaded this year, but they have played the best basketball I've seen a KU team play in 5 years.
              This may or may not be true, but if it is true, it wouldn't really take much.
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Well Andy Katz specifically said he talked to the chairman of the committee and he said they aren't counting our games without vanvleet because we are a different team with him. The loss to SH wasn't a bad loss and I didn't expect us to run the table even with Fred.
                ShockerNut 2305

Comment

Side note: Buddy Hield.

What a load. Too bad we were unsuccessful in recruiting him.
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Very true, Ricky -- he's quite a player, although he probably does more for OU in terms of numbers than he'd do within Marshall's system.

Who knows? Maybe he's the Bahamian Landry Shamet.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerNut2305 View Post
                      Well Andy Katz specifically said he talked to the chairman of the committee and he said they aren't counting our games without vanvleet because we are a different team with him. The loss to SH wasn't a bad loss and I didn't expect us to run the table even with Fred.
                      I think you have misunderstood. They just won't forget the losses. Losses are losses. There are lot of teams with injuries. Now if they get down to 2 teams with similar resume, then they might give the team with injuries the benefit of the doubt. Bottom line is I believe the selection committee will use whatever metric/injury available to rationalize their selections and will ignore those that go against their thought process.

WSU fans should not expect any benefit of doubt from the NCAA - WSU just needs to go out and dominate this flaming burning stinking pile of conference and sweep STL and keep it out of the NCAA hands and make the MVC a 1 bid conference. Just win.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                        a. Says who -- *******? Gottlieb? Who cares?

b. What makes you think they've been somewhat successful, Cap? Because they've made you nervous? They certainly aren't on the selection committee, and it would be more than a little surprising if they have the slightest impact on those who are.

Gotta toughen up a little.

For comparison, here ate KenPom's projections:

Team.............. Rec.. Conf Proj
                        Oklahoma 11-0 0-0 14-4
                        Kansas 10-1 0-0 13-5
                        West Virginia 10-1 0-0 11-7
                        Iowa St. 10-1 0-0 10-8
                        Baylor 9-2 0-0 10-8
                        Texas 8-3 0-0 8-10
                        Texas Tech 9-1 0-0 8-10
                        Kansas St. 9-2 0-0 6-12
                        Oklahoma St. 7-4 0-0 5-13
                        TCU 7-4 0-0 4-14
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Exactly SB, glad you wrote that. Several other posters insinuated the same thing.
                          It will be a tough road. Most don't recall, but Shocks needed to make championship game of MVC Tourney in the Final 4 year to get into the dance. They can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
                            Exactly SB, glad you wrote that. Several other posters insinuated the same thing.
                            It will be a tough road. Most don't recall, but Shocks needed to make championship game of MVC Tourney in the Final 4 year to get into the dance. They can do it.
                            You're an idiot. WSU was a 9 seed during the Final Four year. They weren't even CLOSE to not making it that year.

Stick with Creighton analytics.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                              You're an idiot. WSU was a 9 seed during the Final Four year. They weren't even CLOSE to not making it that year.

Stick with Creighton analytics.

Do your research and eat your words dumbass.

Comment

Working...
                              X