Shuttle service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
    At the start of this season, neither the Emerson Biggin W Side or downtown location offered shuttle service. Over a year ago, the WSU AD decided to charge them by becoming sponsors & none of them wanted to do it anymore. The EB website cited above must be out of date.
    Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
    Larry Bud's, well prior to closing, also quit the shuttle for the same reason. ADES thought he'd get some extra bucks by "charging" them to shuttle WSU fans. Instead, they all quit doing it and paying Shocker fans were the ones inconvenienced.
    Wow! Nice!

Under what legal leg would WSU stand on by requiring payment for such? Allowing their buses on the grounds of a public university?

That's a money grab at a humiliating level. Sexton should hang his head in embarrassment at such a chicken **** move. I was never on the anti-ES bandwagon around here, but some things have happened in the past few months to cause me to consider hopping on.

Comment

Breaking News - Eric Sexton has been relieved of his Athletic Director duties. The interim A.D. is Darren Boatwright.
      I repeat
      Breaking News .................................................. .................................................. .........!

:)

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
        Breaking News - Eric Sexton has been relieved of his Athletic Director duties. The interim A.D. is Darren Boatwright.
        I repeat
        Breaking News .................................................. .................................................. .........!

:)
        I don't believe I mentioned that he was still at the helm, but apparently at least one of his decisions yesterday are impacting WSU fans today in a negative manner.

Comment

Do you mean yesterday as figuratively and it was actually last year? That is what I read and it is no longer relevant. But if it makes you feel better to say he was a bad AD last year, go ahead. To me, it is old news even if it was a bad decision. It would be nice if a bar would try to approach the new administration and see if the ideas have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
            Do you mean yesterday as figuratively and it was actually last year? That is what I read and it is no longer relevant. But if it makes you feel better to say he was a bad AD last year, go ahead. To me, it is old news even if it was a bad decision. It would be nice if a bar would try to approach the new administration and see if the ideas have changed.
            An external fan amenity that was present last year, is not available this year, so I guess I don't understand why it lacks relevancy. It is 100% relevant, today - literally.

I'm not necessarily coming right out and saying ES was conclusively a bad AD, but whether or not he was good or bad was contextual and applicable to WSU athletics up until mere weeks ago, directly, and indirectly still today - literally.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
              Don't get on the wrong "Party bus"...

How can anything that looks so right be wrong?

Comment

I don't have a dog in the fight, and usually stay out of WSU specific issues, but I just want to give some outside perspective. Charging bars to run that type of shuttle is not that uncommon, and I don't think unreasonable. The bar gains customers and does it to make money off of the school, so the school probably should derive some benefit. Also, it isn't a service that comes free to Wichita State, either. I don't know how they did it at CKA, but most places have a drop off and pick up lane for shuttles. That lane has both security for people arriving and departing, and also traffic control. That costs the school money. The shuttles don't just drive up to the front curb, park, then leave at their will, it is controlled. At most arenas, there is a cost for that type of shuttle service. The ticketholder doesn't bear the cost because the bar hopes to make it up in beer and pretzel sales. I'm not saying this is the reason your AD asked for bars that provided shuttles to also be donors, but if the costs and headaches factored into the decision, it seems like a reasonable demand.
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                  I don't have a dog in the fight, and usually stay out of WSU specific issues, but I just want to give some outside perspective. Charging bars to run that type of shuttle is not that uncommon, and I don't think unreasonable. The bar gains customers and does it to make money off of the school, so the school probably should derive some benefit. Also, it isn't a service that comes free to Wichita State, either. I don't know how they did it at CKA, but most places have a drop off and pick up lane for shuttles. That lane has both security for people arriving and departing, and also traffic control. That costs the school money. The shuttles don't just drive up to the front curb, park, then leave at their will, it is controlled. At most arenas, there is a cost for that type of shuttle service. The ticketholder doesn't bear the cost because the bar hopes to make it up in beer and pretzel sales. I'm not saying this is the reason your AD asked for bars that provided shuttles to also be donors, but if the costs and headaches factored into the decision, it seems like a reasonable demand.
                  Not totally disagreeing, but the bars also have the cost of the shuttles/drivers they hope to recover. Apparently, they all were not making enough to cover those costs and what WSU wanted. So, WSU did not get their fees, the shuttles/drivers did not make any money, the bars may or may not have gained or lost, and the paying fans lost their ride.

Not seeing a lot of "winners" in the scenario that happened (none actually). Did see a couple of losers. I'd also have to see what costs WSU was incurring vs what they were asking.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                    Don't get on the wrong "Party bus"...

A guy could get hurt on that bus.
                    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                      A guy could get hurt on that bus.
                      Is that a "hurts so good" joke?

Comment

More on Shuttle service

My wife & I used the EB shuttle service from their w side location 2 seasons ago. Last year, the EB west side owner sold that location & maintained the one downtown in Old Town, so we used their shuttle service then. I was told that the WSU charge for delivering & taking passengers from there was $5000. I never heard the EB owner tell me that. It came from an employee. My wife & I liked the Shuttle service because we lost our parking via our SASO Century Club membership when Shocker Hall was built. At this start of this season, I dropped by EB West & talked personally with their manager & he told me that he was not going to offer the shuttle service this season. After that, I traded emails with Darron Boatright & he told me that there was never an intent to charge $5000 but rather a sponsorship fee. Prior to that, I told him that there was no way that a sports bar could make a profit by paying $5000 to WSU plus bearing the cost of renting a bus. I'm left with the impression that there has been some kind of a communication disconnect between the sports bars that want to offer shuttle service & the WSU athletic department but I've never taken the time to sort it out.

Another related issue concerns the shuttle service between the Hughes Complex & Koch Arena as it is only offered during week days & WSU has 6 different home games on weekends. My view is that with a lack of parking at this point, WSU ought to be more receptive to facilitating shuttle services to all the people who buy season tickets for the WSU home basketball games. I recently learned that the 19th iteration of the new building plan for WSU includes 3 different parking garages, but those are a long way off in the future at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
                          My wife & I used the EB shuttle service from their w side location 2 seasons ago. Last year, the EB west side owner sold that location & maintained the one downtown in Old Town, so we used their shuttle service then. I was told that the WSU charge for delivering & taking passengers from there was $5000. I never heard the EB owner tell me that. It came from an employee. My wife & I liked the Shuttle service because we lost our parking via our SASO Century Club membership when Shocker Hall was built. At this start of this season, I dropped by EB West & talked personally with their manager & he told me that he was not going to offer the shuttle service this season. After that, I traded emails with Darron Boatright & he told me that there was never an intent to charge $5000 but rather a sponsorship fee. Prior to that, I told him that there was no way that a sports bar could make a profit by paying $5000 to WSU plus bearing the cost of renting a bus. I'm left with the impression that there has been some kind of a communication disconnect between the sports bars that want to offer shuttle service & the WSU athletic department but I've never taken the time to sort it out.

Another related issue concerns the shuttle service between the Hughes Complex & Koch Arena as it is only offered during week days & WSU has 6 different home games on weekends. My view is that with a lack of parking at this point, WSU ought to be more receptive to facilitating shuttle services to all the people who buy season tickets for the WSU home basketball games. I recently learned that the 19th iteration of the new building plan for WSU includes 3 different parking garages, but those are a long way off in the future at this point.
                          Sponsorship, ah, I get it. I should have understood at the first post. I'm a little embarrassed I missed it. Let me take a step back, put on my old used to be an advertising guy hat, and harken a better guess.

WSU used to control their own marketing and advertising. WSU farmed out that responsibility to CBS Collegiate Sports Properties. Ribbon boards were added I think last year. Sponsors are needed for ribbon boarfds to work. CBS Collegiate Sports Properties is almost cerainly behind this "sponsorship" more than Wichita State. I could see WSU asking for a hundred a game, that would be fair. Five grand a season is the brainchild of a guy that needs to cover the costs of ribbon boards.
                          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                            Sponsorship, ah, I get it. I should have understood at the first post. I'm a little embarrassed I missed it. Let me take a step back, put on my old used to be an advertising guy hat, and harken a better guess.

WSU used to control their own marketing and advertising. WSU farmed out that responsibility to CBS Collegiate Sports Properties. Ribbon boards were added I think last year. Sponsors are needed for ribbon boarfds to work. CBS Collegiate Sports Properties is almost cerainly behind this "sponsorship" more than Wichita State. I could see WSU asking for a hundred a game, that would be fair. Five grand a season is the brainchild of a guy that needs to cover the costs of ribbon boards.
                            That was a thoughtful, intelligent answer. So what have you done with MoValley John?

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              That was a thoughtful, intelligent answer. So what have you done with MoValley John?
                              He must be feeling better after his journey to the bowels of Nebraska Furniture Mart.
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Wichita Brewing Company East will have a party bus shuttle several times this season. They will have one the 28th. I think they charge $5 a head.

Comment

Working...
                                X