No announcement yet.

Utah game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not much to say. We did everything we needed to this week. Played incredibly good defense, holding two great offensive teams more than 30 points below their season average. In both games we played Wichita State basketball, 100% intensity all game. Got nothing but good things to say about the underclassmen. Shaq and Nurger were solid defensively against perhaps the best two centers we'll play this year (potentially both lottery picks), Brown and McDuffie were both terrific on both ends. Fred is back. Shots finally started to fall.

In March, the selection will have to look at this game when they evaluate how much our injuries hurt us. And this experience will be invaluable for our depth. We could have easily fallen into the trap of being Fred, Ron, Anton and co. Now we know Zach Brown can carry a scoring role. Shaq and McDuffie and Wamukota can secure center even against really talented frontcourts. McDuffie can/will be a star. We'll be better for this in the long-run, and the sky's the limit if we can play this type of defense and keep getting better on offense.

It's still March or nothing with this team, but we've done what we needed to give ourselves the best possible route. We not only ended any talk of being a bubble team, I think we gave the type of performance that will discount those early losses. Not just an important win, but a win where we were pretty dominant against a quality team.

Comment

• I thought it was amazing how our guys appropriately helped with Poertl but we're still able to be in the face of whoever he passed to. Did we somehow find a way to slip 6 defenders on the floor?
      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• 3 game winning streaks are so much better than 3 game losing streaks! Go Shockers!

Comment

• Take away Poeltle, and adjust their free throws attempted to match ours (but assume their actual FT %), and this game would have been 67-31. That's us without a starter, and a freshman that was/is going to be first off of the bench.

Comment

• This week was so perfect. Statement made.

We're squarely back in the discussion again and a few more wins will get us back into the top 25. We're not there yet because obviously 5-4 isn't so hot but everyone knows why.

I have no doubt we will get back into the rankings if we can get to 8-4 even though a record like that might be otherwise out of place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
              Frankamps last two threes were worse than anything he shot last game. You just have to laugh because you know it's coming and it's going to be glorious.
              Great prediction.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                Ironic our only 2 TO's belong to Fred.
                And both of those were offensive fouls.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                  You guys are right it's the shooting that's bad.

@kylegoon on Twitter.
                  Wichita State is a good team, but Utah's execution has flat out been ugly. 16 turnovers. Shooting 38.7 percent. 0.827 points per possesion.
                  Gee, I wonder what caused that? It's such a big mystery.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                    I was seriously worried about 12 minutes to go when they cut the lead to 4...but what toughness to paste an excellent team in Utah after that.
                    Let's hope the a trend like today becomes typical that we go ahead and slam the door shot and put teams away and avoid opening flood gates.
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Can't believe this thread is only 9 pages long. If this game doesn't get your Shocker juices flowing, I'm not sure what would. I guess everyone was at the game instead of posting on Shockernet.

The fans were awesome and brought it consistently.

If we aren't the best defensive team in the country I would like to know who is.

Also, if Fred isn't the most valuable player the country, I'd like to know who is. The two charge calls were a joke.

I thought the officials called the game fairly. Larry K was probably right about the missed goal tending call but there was a ball out of bounds off a Utah players knee the possession before that went back to Utah.

I thought CF had hit rock bottom as a Shocker on the possession before he hit his first shot. He had missed a three and didn't get back on D. If anyone thinks the city of Wichita isn't rooting for CF, can you tell my why everyone in the arena rose to their feet to cheer him on when that first shot went in. It was something special to be a part of.

The foul call on Ron's back court steal in the second half was hard to accept.

Taylor's expression after learning he was called for a walk after his acting job was priceless.
                      Last edited by Ta Town Shocker; December 12, 2015, 07:22 PM.
                      Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Not sure I can remember a fan base pulling so hard for any individual player to have something positive happen to him as the Shocker fans were for Conner. And it wasn't just the fans who exploded on both of Conner's late makes. You could tell his teammates were thrilled for Conner as well. Now that the lid is off the basket let's hope it is onward and upward going forward for Conner.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          Not sure I can remember a fan base pulling so hard for any individual player to have something positive happen to him as the Shocker fans were for Conner. And it wasn't just the fans who exploded on both of Conner's late makes. You could tell his teammates were thrilled for Conner as well. Now that the lid is off the basket let's hope it is onward and upward going forward for Conner.
                          I bet he makes people look bad in practice sometimes. They all seem to be unanimously in support of him in games. They all know how crazy his start has been.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post
                            Can't believe this thread is only 9 pages long. If this game doesn't get your Shocker juices flowing, I'm not sure what would. I guess everyone was at the game instead of posting on Shockernet.
                            Not being able to post from inside the arena doesn't help.
                            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by UteShocker View Post
                              I'm really worried about facing Duke next week. If our guards -- especially Brandon Taylor -- don't get things settled quick, it's going to be 35-point loss ugly.
                              Nah, Utah played a better team today than they will face in NYC on Dec 19th (& I kinda like Duke). But, I'll be rooting for the Utes the rest of the way ... unless we meet again in the tourney.

Comment

• Please beat Duke @UteShocker:

Comment

Working...
                                X