WSU Versus Utah Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Versus Utah Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Here's the deal. Isn't winning grand? What a difference a healthier FVV makes and welcome CF. Yes, we lost to the Utes in overtime at their barn last Season. Good news is Delon Wright graduated but they still have Jakob Poelti back who caught me off guard last Season of just how good he is. They come in here at 7-1 and Larry Krystkowiak is a good Coach.

Here's the other deal. The Shock's are undefeated at Intrust Arena and will beat this good Utah team but it won't be a cake walk. Look for FVV to continue to pick and roll and for both Baker and CF to score more than 11 but not more than 22. Who among our bigs can hold Poelti to a mild roar? It would be nice to get him in some foul trouble.

Shocks-- 70

Utes -----63
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Still happy about tonight's win. Won't predict a final score against Utah yet. But, I predict that CF will nail at least three 3 pointers.

Comment

Shockers 69
      Utes 68

Comment

Shockers - 65 Utah - 63

Someone not named Fred or Zach hits a 3. :)

Comment

As long as we don't shoot as bad as we did last night (no way that happens), I think we'll win this one. Defense was incredible and I expect that to continue. Conner with hit a couple 3s and our free throws will be 75%.

8 point win for the good guys.

Comment

KenPom FanMatch again has this game with the 4th best "thrill" factor. Last nights was 46.7 and this game is 61.9. He has 62% odds and a 71-68 score. Utah ranked 38 and Shockers ranked 41.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I think Poeltl is probably slightly better than Zimmerman, but not by much (that Zimmerman kid is big time). Utah also has another big guy that plays some, but I don't think is as good as UNLV's second big. Last year our perimeter played pretty well against an NBA point guard, and this year that NBA point guard is gone. Shooting will be better, defense will still be tough.
              HC3.3G and his quickly recovering team 72
              Coach K junior and his soon to fall squad 63
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                I think Poeltl is probably slightly better than Zimmerman, but not by much (that Zimmerman kid is big time). Utah also has another big guy that plays some, but I don't think is as good as UNLV's second big. Last year our perimeter played pretty well against an NBA point guard, and this year that NBA point guard is gone. Shooting will be better, defense will still be tough.
                HC3.3G and his quickly recovering team 72
                Coach K junior and his soon to fall squad 63
                Statistically, Poeltl is well ahead of Zimmerman (I think they are close in ability, but Poeltl and/or his teammates have been much better about getting looks and he is finishing at a unreal rate):

PPG RPG FG% Assists TOs Blocks
                Poeltl 21.3 9.9 .692 15 14 20
                Zimmerman 10.4 8.8 .525 8 15 16

We did a really good job holding McCaw in check, and we will have a similar challenge at the SF against Loveridge from Utah:

PPG RPG FG% 3FG% Assists TOs Steals
                Loveridge 15.8 4.0 .481 .464 18 10 4
                McCaw 16.9 3.7 .509 .444 35 19 27

Overall, Utah is a more efficient offensive team than UNLV, but also not as good a defensive team. For reference, Utah is virtually even with Iowa in KP offensive efficiency, but 63 slots worse than Iowa in defensive efficiency. Every team we have lost to has better defensive efficiency numbers than Utah, but only Iowa is better offensively. The game really comes down to limiting Poeltl and Loveridge as much as possible and hitting a decent percentage of shots (it doesn't have to be spectacular, just not the horrible percentages from outside we have been shooting).
                Last edited by The Mad Hatter; December 10, 2015, 12:18 PM.
                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Poetl is much, much better than Zimmerman at this point.
                  The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Maybe I just haven't seen enough of Poeltl. I've only seen one of their games this year, and bits of another, and he wasn't as impressive as I thought he would be. He has a year on Zimmerman, so he knows the game better, but talent wise, I think it's a wash.
                    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

I predict HCGM will have lit a fire under these guys and the overall shooting will be better, especially at the FT line. Connor will knock down a shot or 2, Evan will get at least 5 floor burns, Zach Brown will continue to improve, and somebody else besides FVV will step up.

As far as the final score, no prediction there. I'd like to predict a win but this is going to be another really tough game.

Comment

The UNLV game should really have helped the bigs in prep for Poeltl. I liked their defense on Zimmerman.

Comment

Originally posted by boltforge View Post
                          The UNLV game should really have helped the bigs in prep for Poeltl. I liked their defense on Zimmerman.
                          This is very true. Poeltl is better than Zimmerman (Zimmerman is probably more talented, but Poeltl plays harder), but i think UNLVs guards are better than Utahs this year. Utah will be better coached though and have had a week off to prepare.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                            Statistically, Poeltl is well ahead of Zimmerman (I think they are close in ability, but Poeltl and/or his teammates have been much better about getting looks and he is finishing at a unreal rate):

Poeltl 21.3 9.9 .692 15 14 20

We did a really good job holding McCaw in check, and we will have a similar challenge at the SF against Loveridge from Utah:

PPG RPG FG% 3FG% Assists TOs Steals
                            Loveridge 15.8 4.0 .481 .464 18 10 4
                            McCaw 16.9 3.7 .509 .444 35 19 27

Overall, Utah is a more efficient offensive team than UNLV, but also not as good a defensive team. For reference, Utah is virtually even with Iowa in KP offensive efficiency, but 63 slots worse than Iowa in defensive efficiency. Every team we have lost to has better defensive efficiency numbers than Utah, but only Iowa is better offensively. The game really comes down to limiting Poeltl and Loveridge as much as possible and hitting a decent percentage of shots (it doesn't have to be spectacular, just not the horrible percentages from outside we have been shooting).
                            Looking at Poetl's first 8 collegiate games (the same number of games used for this year's comparison above
                            Poeltl 1st 8 2014 11.3 9.3 .723 1 14 22
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Question: If Krystkowiak is going to continue his tradition of burning wheatgrass in the locker room before a game ... can we return the favor and burn a heretic?

Just askin'.

Comment

Working...
                              X