X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gregg Marshall interview with ESPN's Andy Katz & Seth Greenberg

Listen to it at http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=13777929

Gregg starts around the 26:15 mark.

I compiled a few of Gregg's quotes at http://shockerhoops.net/index.php/20...eth-greenberg/ if you're wanting the quick hits.

It's a great interview, candid as ever, great info on the new guys. Rashard being most improved. Conner the best shooter he's been around in 31 years of coaching.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Still gets to stick it to Creighton. Man I love this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      Still gets to stick it to Creighton. Man I love this guy.
      Gosh, I hope that doesn't diminish Creighton's desire to schedule us in the future.
      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
        Gosh, I hope that doesn't diminish Creighton's desire to schedule us in the future.
        For sure. We need all of the Top 20 National Teams/basketball programs that we can to play us.

Comment

Kelly can hit 3's AND put it on the floor?

The comments about Frankamp are pretty much exactly in line with what I was expecting at this point for him.Great handles. tight handles. Great shooter. Working on the other parts of his game.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Kai, really appreciate the summary.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
              Listen to it at http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=13777929

Gregg starts around the 26:15 mark.

I compiled a few of Gregg's quotes at http://shockerhoops.net/index.php/20...eth-greenberg/ if you're wanting the quick hits.

It's a great interview, candid as ever, great info on the new guys. Rashard being most improved. Conner the best shooter he's been around in 31 years of coaching.

Holy moly, Batman. "Best shooter in 31 years."

I must admit that I have been in the "Wait and see with my own eyes" column on Conner rather than accepting the sage commentary of my brethren.
              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Doesn't surprise me at all about Kelly.

He started out really strong last year.

I think maybe he had some trouble handling the grind of major college basketball as the season wore on. Still a very good freshman season, though. This year he should be fantastic.

So athletic and should become a man real soon.
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Surprised by the comments on Kelly.

In a scary "that's awesome" sort of way.

Comment

Marshall's teams and players always work on defense and rebounding as the first priority. That's the main focus of players new to Marshall's system. It's not unusual for those players' offensive games to lag behind expectations as they concentrate on other aspects of the game.

Players who understand rebounding and defense (like FVV and Baker) get around to polishing their offensive games a little quicker than some other first-year players.

Don't be surprised to see new players' offensive games not showing up until after they've adjusted to Marshall's defensive and rebounding game.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                      Conner the best shooter he's been around in 31 years of coaching.
                      This from a guy who recruited Stephen Curry.
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

I think maybe he had some trouble handling the grind of major college basketball as the season wore on. Still a very good freshman season, though. This year he should be fantastic.

Kelly often looked confused last year when he had the ball on offense Unless it was a rebound. On a fast break he would lose it out of bounds. On the perimeter he took out of rhthym jumpers. In the paint he made 5 ultra quick moves, usually dragging his pivot foot. All the while, Rashard was brimming with talent. Could this be the year?
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                          Kelly often looked confused last year when he had the ball on offense Unless it was a rebound. On a fast break he would lose it out of bounds. On the perimeter he took out of rhthym jumpers. In the paint he made 5 ultra quick moves, usually dragging his pivot foot. All the while, Rashard was brimming with talent. Could this be the year?

Yes.

I think that it's pretty difficult to improve fundamentals once a season starts. Im not sure how much time they can commit to practice with school, travel, etc. Practice time is focused on the team and next game. Tall order for a frosh, balancing a life adjustment to work on both individual and team improvement, I think.

However, now he's got a season's worth of knowing which areas of his game to improve and a whole off season to really hone in on thise skills. Add in a couple of AAs to show the way and the dedication necessary to achieve and you could have an absolute stud.
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

I agree that the long season of college basketball is often a mental grind that wears Freshmen players out because they aren't prepared for it.

Comment

I'm old enough to have watched Xavier McDaniel as a freshman. He was impressively athletic, a real skywalker, and he couldn't shoot a lick -- a flat, hard shot that needed to swish lest it bend the rim. But he went on to be pretty good as a sophomore, leading the nation in rebounding and scoring a little as well. Never did learn to shoot FT's very well in college, but he was still a fairly useful player.

I'm not going to ask Kelly to channel X's attitude, which was a big part of what made him X, but whenever I see a talented, athletic freshman with some size struggle a bit with the Shocks, I always hark back to those days.

Comment

Working...
                              X