Shockers are the 6th best offense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers are the 6th best offense

Hi everyone, I'm somewhat newer on this site. I hardly ever post anything I usually just read other people's comments to keep up with our daily shocker updates. I saw on twitter that the shockers have the 6th best offense heading into the season. The source, of COURSE, was ESPN insider which I, as well as many of us, do not have a subscription to. I was wondering if anyone on this site did have a subscription to it. And if so, would he or she be so kind as to screenshot the page so that all of us die hard shocker fans can now read "angry" too? Thanks in advance

Summaries of paywall articles are fine. Screenshots and copy/paste isn't though.

Nothing ground breaking in the article. States low turnovers, returning FVV and RB are keys to success. Greg's (yes, they spelled it wrong) focus on offensive boards helps get more scoring opportunities.

That's about it.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
      Summaries of paywall articles are fine. Screenshots and copy/paste isn't though.

Nothing ground breaking in the article. States low turnovers, returning FVV and RB are keys to success. Greg's (yes, they spelled it wrong) focus on offensive boards helps get more scoring opportunities.
      That's about it.
      Thank you for sharing. But that's it? Low turnovers and crashing the boards on offense is the only reason to have a top ten offense? No mention of the other guys like Grady, Morris, Brown, and ESPECIALLY Frankamp? No respect, ESPN

Comment

Originally posted by MTXE31 View Post
        Thank you for sharing. But that's it? Low turnovers and crashing the boards on offense is the only reason to have a top ten offense? No mention of the other guys like Grady, Morris, Brown, and ESPECIALLY Frankamp? No respect, ESPN
        It truly was only about 5 sentences long.
        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
          It truly was only about 5 sentences long.
          Thats sad when we have two top ten players in Baker and VanVleet and a good group of role players and we still get bo respect. I guarantee Kentucky's was a full page and then some. Even though a ton of their players havent even played a second of college hoops. But oh well, yet another reporter sleeping on just how good the shockers are.

Comment

Thats sad when we have two top ten players in Baker and VanVleet and a good group of role players and we still get bo respect. I guarantee Kentucky's was a full page and then some. Even though a ton of their players havent even played a second of college hoops. But oh well, yet another reporter sleeping on just how good the shockers are.
            I don't know, seems about par for the course for off-season articles....where quantity and lists are most important to try and get more folks to sign up to see what's said.

Comment

I'm confused as to how Gasaway saying we would be the 6th best offense in the country is "sleeping" on us.

And Kentucky's blurb was about the same length as everyone else's.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

They're giving plenty of respect (6th in the country?), they're just not giving money's worth to ESPN Insider subscribers.

Comment

Top 6 offense, top 10 defense, top 10 rebounding margin, top 5 asst/to ratio, top 10 bench...The only thing that it's important to be number 1 at is winning, and from my point of view, that's a pretty good recipe to do just that.

Edit: No, I didn't read any of those stats on any website, just the thoughts in my own mind.
                  "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                    I'm confused as to how Gasaway saying we would be the 6th best offense in the country is "sleeping" on us.

And Kentucky's blurb was about the same length as everyone else's.
                    Because with them being as experienced as the are, they should have been a couple spots higher

Comment

Because with them being as experienced as the are, they should have been a couple spots higher
                      Experience doesn't mean a whole lot (as much as talking heads like to think). Talent does. If that's the case then how did Duke beat Wisconsin this year? How did UK win the title in 2012 over a more experienced KU team? How did the Fab Five reach the title game as Freshmen and Sophomores?

Nothing to see here. Gasaway gave a fair assessment. While our guard tandem is about as talented as anyone in the country, we do have some unproven players down low (as in, we're not sure how they'll perform this year), so he was almost being generous. Grady was good at CSU, and I think he'll be more efficient for us since he won't have to carry the load. But again, Fred and Ron are part of the entire puzzle. He wasn't ranking backcourts. He was ranking overall offenses. We were certainly less efficient last year than we were in 2014. So I don't see any problem with it.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                        Experience doesn't mean a whole lot (as much as talking heads like to think). Talent does. If that's the case then how did Duke beat Wisconsin this year? How did UK win the title in 2012 over a more experienced KU team? How did the Fab Five reach the title game as Freshmen and Sophomores?

Nothing to see here. Gasaway gave a fair assessment. While our guard tandem is about as talented as anyone in the country, we do have some unproven players down low (as in, we're not sure how they'll perform this year), so he was almost being generous. Grady was good at CSU, and I think he'll be more efficient for us since he won't have to carry the load. But again, Fred and Ron are part of the entire puzzle. He wasn't ranking backcourts. He was ranking overall offenses. We were certainly less efficient last year than we were in 2014. So I don't see any problem with it.
                        Thanks for putting it in better perspective for me. I see where you're coming from. I was thinking they were insulting just how successful our backcourt has been, but you're right we do have a lot of unproven frontcourt players.. Hopefully they can keep improving on offense throughout the season, because like you said last year's team wasnt as efficient as 2014. I think thats where Frankamp and Brown will come in handy, both wont be quite as good on defense as cotton was but should be an upgrade on the offensive side of things.

Comment

Sixth ranked offense, and a pre-season ranking of 9th isn't too bad from a respectability point of view. There are some ? marks as far as the front-court but getting Grady was a big big pick-up for us. Depth in the frontcourt will be the key. Can the young sophs bring it on a consistent basis. If they do and people like Brown, Frankamp, and perhaps the x-factor 7 foot Bush we could be very dangerous team come March

Comment

6th? Don't sleep on the Shocks, you won't like them when they're angry.

*edit* To be CLEAR, in case being 6th best offense in the nation and joking about being angry wasn't clear enough, this is indeed a tongue in cheek comment.

Sorry for the confusion........
                            Last edited by ShoxRoxMySox; August 21, 2015, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post
                              6th? Don't sleep on the Shocks, you won't like them when they're angry.
                              Haha how is the 6th best offense in the nation sleeping on us? I'm surprised we are that high. This is basically a ranking on good faith. Besides Fred and Ron we don't have a single other proven offensive threat. Hopefully some people can step up, but none of them are proven.

Comment

Working...
                              X