No announcement yet.

Minor Recruiting violation for Peyton Allen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the Myriad of rules and regs that the NCAA has ,, your bound to slip up somewhere sometimes ,,, makes the case for the NCAA being too big and too overreaching in some cases.
    From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

This is a prime example of where the NCAA had what could have been a black-and-white rule, but made it gray with the travel exception.

Whoever set up the travel for Allen, clearly knew the letter of the regulations, but didn't articulate it well enough to Marshall or whoever was responsible for arranging Allen's visit. When you enter the gray area of the rules, you better make sure everyone involved knows exactly how to stay within the gray area. Don't leave anything out that might allow someone to act out of ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
        This is a prime example of where the NCAA had what could have been a black-and-white rule, but made it gray with the travel exception.

Whoever set up the travel for Allen, clearly knew the letter of the regulations, but didn't articulate it well enough to Marshall or whoever was responsible for arranging Allen's visit. When you enter the gray area of the rules, you better make sure everyone involved knows exactly how to stay within the gray area. Don't leave anything out that might allow someone to act out of ignorance.
        This is my point too. Who would think that the rules say it is ok to buy hotel fare and airplane tickets for the last recruiting night but you can't buy dinner or see them face to face. I guess a cell phone guided tour of the university, athletic facilities, etc. is ok just they don't pass any coaches in the hallway. That is crazy, doesn't pass the logic test, and would be an easy portion of the rule to miss.

Comment

After the NCAA added on to the self-imposed penalties from the baseball merchandise-discount conspiracy, why would you risk it for what amounts to roughly four hours of extra time?

Watch the NCAA double the penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
            I had not pointed blame at anyone in particular.

But your argument is that this isn't a big deal because we have someone whose entire job is literally to know about and follow these rules? Which makes my answer to your "what does this guy do?" question a big, "I'm not sure, but apparently not his job."
            You can make an argument that the compliance guy is to blame. I would suspect he emphasizes rules that are considered egregious and perhaps less emphasis that are small infractions but what do I know about his job.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
              but what do I know about his job.
              I assumed, apparently incorrectly, something; given that you linked to his profile and defended other roles blindspots because they were covered by this guy.

End of the day, this isn't some huge cheating conspiracy. But I like my team to compete from the high ground, not in the shadows, and this is a little shady.

Comment

After the NCAA added on to the self-imposed penalties from the baseball merchandise-discount conspiracy, why would you risk it for what amounts to roughly four hours of extra time?

I just realized I missed the part about the NCAA verbally agreeing to the self-imposed sanctions. I still wouldn't want to lose an official visit in a year where you graduate five and, as is the current trend, lose more to transfers.

Comment

I just realized I missed the part about the NCAA verbally agreeing to the self-imposed sanctions. I still wouldn't want to lose an official visit in a year where you graduate five and, as is the current trend, lose more to transfers.
                  I thought the NCAA had verbally agreed to the sanctions the baseball team imposed as well, only to hammer them again 8 months later.

Comment

It's a separate entity that decides that. It's likely this isn't done.

Comment

That what I'm worried about. I can see somebody in the NCAA saying didn't we just hammer the baseball team and they didn't learn this lesson? Well we will show them. Drop the hammer. Better we make an example of them than NC and huckleberry hound.

Those who think Marshall just said what the heck - no big deal are delusional.

Comment

I dunno. This still seems incredibly minor and that we're blowing this out of proportion here. The offseason tends to make us do that.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                          You can make an argument that the compliance guy is to blame. I would suspect he emphasizes rules that are considered egregious and perhaps less emphasis that are small infractions but what do I know about his job.
                          I'm thinking that the compliance people are working with the various coaching staff proactively to make sure that there are no violations, but there is probably an additional review on the backend to make sure everything's OK. This could either be a case of:
                          * - Act first and ask for forgiveness later knowing it could be perceived as a minor violation
                          * - Was reviewed by the someone else on the coaching staff who caught the situation and decided to get a 'second opinion' (remember we have a new coach, so this is very possible) from the compliance department.
                          * - Caught as some sort of an after-the-fact review (which would be done as part of a post review to ensure that all visits and signings are within the rules).

I'm leaning more towards #2 or #3 and much less to #1. I think our coaches and compliance department conducts themselves in a highly ethical manner.

Comment

I assumed, apparently incorrectly, something; given that you linked to his profile and defended other roles blindspots because they were covered by this guy.

End of the day, this isn't some huge cheating conspiracy. But I like my team to compete from the high ground, not in the shadows, and this is a little shady.
                            Nah -- sounds far more like a little bit sloppy on the technicalities than shady. As someone else rightly said, just a typical Shockernet offseason loss of any sense of proportion in terms of the reaction here. Now if this were Kelvin Sampson, and it happened a bunch more times, that would be a different story. But I don't imagine it will.

Comment

Very small fish cdizzle! Let's don't put out the "little shady" bs! Not trying to pick a fight but come on! Track record for 3G? Mistake made and move on!

Comment

I do remember when WSU first hired a compliance officer (I think it may have been Beebe who was the Big 12 Commissioner), that he described his job as helping the coaches understand rules that are not obvious and keep WSU out of trouble. This has never meant to me that there would never be any problems with NCAA rules. Maybe you should direct your irritation at Torgerson and call for him to be relieved of his duties. I'm not disagreeing with anything you have said. I was just trying to contribute to the discussion. My personal view is that NCAA rules are similar to IRS laws. There are a lot of them, sometimes they defy common sense, and I personally don't think that Marshall intentionally broke the rules as was said earlier by someone. I think it was an oversight.

Comment

Working...
                                X