Minor Recruiting violation for Peyton Allen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor Recruiting violation for Peyton Allen

These rules are just kinda crazy. So they can pay for the hotel and airfare the day before the start of a period, but they can't physically meet with them? That's kind of dumb.

Loss of an official visit and 2 days of recruiting.

Next time just take them to Old Chicago at midnight ... because that makes it SOOOO much better.

Well, that was dumb. Hope that's all that comes of it.

Comment

If he turns into half the player Baker is, it will be well worth the one visit and two days recruiting it cost us.
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we lost an official visit that we would have spent on him anyway?

2 days without shaving, I'm sure we'll survive.
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

I get hating on the NCAA for stupid rules, and asinine rules enforcement, but this one seems to fall pretty squarely in the "that was really dumb, and totally our fault" category. The quiet period is a rule. If 6 hours before is OK, then so is 6 days. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
            I get hating on the NCAA for stupid rules, and asinine rules enforcement, but this one seems to fall pretty squarely in the "that was really dumb, and totally our fault" category. The quiet period is a rule. If 6 hours before is OK, then so is 6 days. A line has to be drawn somewhere.
            I think part of the hate is also against the arbitrariness of many of the rules - attempting to regulate normal human interactions, followed by inconsistent penalty's. It's been made clear a minor violation was made along with a penalty, but it also shows the extent to which these things must be micromanaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
              Agreed its a rule and its our fault. I still think there needs to be flexibility for this. If they are able to pay for the room and flight the day before because its in the best interest for the recruit and the family to come at that time, then allow them to meet early but cut an equal amount of time off the end of the period.

Comment

Sorry, but having flexibility on rules is what got the NCAA rules to where they are today, everybody using the rules to bend a little causes chaos. It is simple, follow the rules. If they had to fly in a day early, have their flights and lodging paid for, then they can handle the meal themselves that night and get the free meal the next day. Just follow the rules. If this was Creighton breaking the rules I'm sure the opinions would be a little different. Just a thought.

Comment

Oops! Wromg thread.
                  Last edited by Aargh; August 10, 2015, 04:22 PM.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmakey View Post
                    Sorry, but having flexibility on rules is what got the NCAA rules to where they are today, everybody using the rules to bend a little causes chaos. It is simple, follow the rules. If they had to fly in a day early, have their flights and lodging paid for, then they can handle the meal themselves that night and get the free meal the next day. Just follow the rules. If this was Creighton breaking the rules I'm sure the opinions would be a little different. Just a thought.
                    You can both agree the rules should be followed while calling out the capriciousness of the rules... It's not so much that they should be flexible on the rules, but that the rules should be more flexible or less proscriptive (ex: At one time, it was ok to provide bagels, but against the rules to provide cream cheese with said bagels)

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerEngr View Post
                      You can both agree the rules should be followed while calling out the capriciousness of the rules... It's not so much that they should be flexible on the rules, but that the rules should be more flexible or less proscriptive (ex: At one time, it was ok to provide bagels, but against the rules to provide cream cheese with said bagels)
                      Also, the point of the rules is to prevent recruiting advantages. I fail to see how taking a recruit out to dinner 6 hours early, when they are already in your town, gives you an advantage. I understand that you should only have x number of hours to recruit, but that can be handled as I stated above.

Comment

Jayhawker on facebook had these words of wisdom to offer:

Most sanctioned program in the history of college athletics cheaters never win and winners never cheat. In all fairness I should point out Kansas University is the only team in the history of college basketball not to be allowed to defend a national championship in any sport. Due to an investigation started by a Wichita State fan turning in Larry Brown for buying Milton Newton a pair of dress shoes for his mother's funeral. Because Wichita state's panties were in a bunch over Greg Dreiling transferring.

Wow. 78-65 dude

Comment

Has anyone considered that maybe this wasn't a "dumb mistake?" The kid had other visits he was planning to take. Perhaps meeting him AND his parents that evening was the only/best time to get together. We all know how smart this staff is. Perhaps this was the best way to make sure that none of those other visits were necessary. And perhaps it was determined that given the consequences, it was worth it to insure that this kid and his family were wooed by WSU. I have not heard nor seen anything to this effect, but it just seems kind of logical.
                          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                            Has anyone considered that maybe this wasn't a "dumb mistake?" The kid had other visits he was planning to take. Perhaps meeting him AND his parents that evening was the only/best time to get together. We all know how smart this staff is. Perhaps this was the best way to make sure that none of those other visits were necessary. And perhaps it was determined that given the consequences, it was worth it to insure that this kid and his family were wooed by WSU. I have not heard nor seen anything to this effect, but it just seems kind of logical.
                            Yeah, methinks this is much to do about nothing. We still have 11 official visits left for what presumably is three remaining schollies, assuming the first two go to Allen and Frankamp. And maybe our third commit (who just visited UK) has decided but not announced his commitment to the Shockers in which case we only really have two schollies up for grabs.

It's a small price to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                              Bingo. Everyone knows when the "dead period" or whatever is. My guess is they evaluated the penalty, figured it was going to be a slap on the wrist, did it, and reported it a few days later.
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                              X