Durley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durley

Can one of you stat guys calculate his fouls-per-minute, etc?

Or how about how many layups a minute he gives up on the defensive end to go with the fouls per minute. Seems he lets his guy get position and the layup and fouls anyways. For the love of god if your gonna give him a layup then let him have it. if your gonna foul the guy then make sure he doesnt get a freaking layup. its really not that hard. [edit]

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
      Can one of you stat guys calculate his fouls-per-minute, etc?
      He has 65 fouls in 464 minutes.

That comes out to around 0.14 fouls/minute. Or about 1 foul every 7 minutes.

Comment

That's not so many. Anybody have an explaination for the last handful of games?

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
          That's not so many. Anybody have an explaination for the last handful of games?
          Scouting by our opponents.

Comment

The plain fact is though, JT can finish the ball, and with a couple slight corrections, like defense, he could be one of the leagues premier players.

A little attitude adjustment, and some hard work is all that is needed.

Comment

Im in the Lou, JT was owned first half. Second half, you could see him trying harder and putting forth more effort on D, but unfortunately practice habits are game habits. Hopefully he learned after getting schooled by 10 points in a row by Tunnel he learned something.

Comment

JTD

Snap, I'd love to see Durley's offensive skills stay at WSU and turn into part of a complete player, because he has the offensive ability to play for money.

But his defense requires more than a "slight correction." If he were a hockey player and were measured by the plus-minus system that has traditionally be used in that sport, he would be truly frightful indeed, and that's why he doesn't get more time -- and won't until he makes a fairly large correction.

Comment

I agree with watcher. It is not a slight correction. He plays little to no defense and I hate to say it, his points on offense mean nothing if he can't stop his man from scoring every time down. He is only a freshman and he has alot of time to correct his defensive liabilities. The question is whether he wants to put forth the effort necessary to do it.

Comment

I guess I am just trying to decide in my own mind if Durley will be here next year or not? And I have wavered back and forth across the line some. Originally thought he wouldn't, then thought he would.

Probably hard for the Coach to decide too? .... LOL

Comment

Re: JTD

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
                      Snap, I'd love to see Durley's offensive skills stay at WSU and turn into part of a complete player, because he has the offensive ability to play for money.

But his defense requires more than a "slight correction." If he were a hockey player and were measured by the plus-minus system that has traditionally be used in that sport, he would be truly frightful indeed, and that's why he doesn't get more time -- and won't until he makes a fairly large correction.

I have calculated the hockey plus/minus for each player for all 31 games in the 2007-2008 season and the following graph represents the composite +/- for each player per 40 minutes played. I left out Butler (played 3 seconds and the opponent scored) and Burley (his avg was -54 and including his line would have squashed the graph too small to read).

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Wouldn't this almost correlate to the Prouty system ratings except with defense added to it?

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                          Wouldn't this almost correlate to the Prouty system ratings except with defense added to it?
                          Prouty formula is as follows:

[ {Points / (Field Goals Attempted * 2 + FTA) } +
                          { (Points + Assists * 2 - Turnovers) / Minutes} +
                          { (Rebounds + Steals + (Blocks / 2) - Personal Fouls) / Minutes} +
                          { (Minutes / (TEAM TOTAL MINUTES / 5) } * Team Winning Pct} ] / 4

The plus/minus is very simple. Your teams points scored while you are in the game is a plus (+); the opponents scores while you are in the game is a minus (-); the net is the sum of the +'s and the -'s. It is a measurement of your value to the team's success.

The Prouty seems to be more of a comparative measurement for comparing players ability to accumulate personal statistics.
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

Then, how in the world would you know who was in the game and what points were scored at various times during all the games? Those stats are not kept.

And I previously suggested a cutoff I thought proper in the Prouty ratings to suggest that the players above the cutoff were assets, and the ones below were liabilities, so to speak. And my cutoff point does seem to correlate with your graph on the 'zero' point.

We both determined the same type outcome using different methods it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                              Then, how in the world would you know who was in the game and what points were scored at various times during all the games? Those stats are not kept.
                              Go to goshockers.com, click on basketball, than stats, then click on any game and select play-by-play. It shows the clock at each substitution along with all stats.

Snap, I'm not arguing with you or Prouty...WSUwatcher just asked about the hockey system so I computed it. The stats can be taken even further to show which combinations are more "scoreboard effective". There were, however, 175 separate combinations used during the year, so much of the data is too small to have any meaning.

The most used combinations (those that averaged over 1 minute per game):

Mekel - Couisnard - Preadom - Clemente - Thomasson 2.05 min +15.7

Mekel - Couisnard - Braeuer - Clemente - Thomasson 7.36 min +13.8

Harris - Couisnard - Braeuer - Clemente - Ellis 1.13 min +13.7

Mekel - Couisnard - Hatch - Clemente - Thomasson 1.61 min - 4.8

Mekel - Couisnard - Braeuer - Clemente - Durley 1.42 min - 6.4

Team -- all combinations -- all minutes 40.65 min* - 1.9
                              * includes 4 overtime periods.

Comment

Working...
                              X