Coach Jans back??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friend in trouble. Gregg has his back.

I can't think this is a recruiting issue. Outside of Wichita this has probably become non-news. If Gregg had any inclination that it could be an issue he could send another coach. Besides, much larger issues didn't seem to hinder Delonte Hill on the recruiting trail.
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Does he bring him back as associate head coach, an assistant, or something different like director of basketball operations?

Comment

Originally posted by shocker22 View Post
        Does he bring him back as associate head coach, an assistant, or something different like director of basketball operations?
        I would guess straight assistant to start with.
        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker22 View Post
          He won't bring him back as a DOBO. That is a more important position than most people realize and doesn't have anything to do with coaching. In fact, a DOBO is specifically precluded from any coaching activities by NCAA rule. Beside we have a very fine and respected DOBO now in Dominic Okon. A good DOBO allows the coaches to coach and not have to worry over administrative issues.

I see him coming back as an assistant. Greg will make him earn his way back to the title of associate head coach and he might have to wait in line behind Greg Heiar. But title's aren't that important to Chris Jans at this point.

Comment

If this plays out according to plan, that is a helluva quick and excellent rebound for Jans from a financial standpoint. Not many folks can lose their job in such a disastrous PR fashion and land on their feet at a haircut in pay of just ~20-30% a couple months later.

Getting his services for another handful of seasons would be a wonderful asset for the program, provided the personal issues do not bubble forth again. I will be happy for all parties if it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
              If this plays out according to plan, that is a helluva quick and excellent rebound for Jans from a financial standpoint. Not many folks can lose their job in such a disastrous PR fashion and land on their feet at a haircut in pay of just ~20-30% a couple months later.

Getting his services for another handful of seasons would be a wonderful asset for the program, provided the personal issues do not bubble forth again. I will be happy for all parties if it works out.
              Those issues won't come back... Just a hunch... He deserves to be back with our program and coach Marshall knows it... Just a matter of smoothing over this university and fans

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post

He was making $325,000 at Bowling Green. I suspect he will take more like a 50% haircut in pay to start with. I don't think 3G will treat Chris as a charity case. He will make him earn his way back up the chain.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 24, 2015, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  He was making $325,000 at Bowling Green. I suspect he will take more like a 50% haircut I pay to start with. I don't think 3G will treat Chris as a charity case. He will make him earn his way back up the chain.
                  Thanks, for whatever reason I had $250k etched in my mind as his salary there.

Edit: $250k is Coop's salary at Miami (OH). That is where the memory played its trick.

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                    I think Chris Jans just wasnt ready for the power of being a head coach...he needs to go back to being an assistant and his old role would be where he belongs for the time being...I hope he is back...I think the program would only benefit again by having someone familiar with the everthing
                    I only disagree with the assertion that Chris wasn't ready to be a head coach. He ABSOLUTELY was ready to be a head coach. He just made a big error in judgment and did so when someone's phone camera was rolling. That could happen to anyone....and I mean, ANYONE. That had nothing to do with his readiness of being head coach material. In fact, the way BG's season played out only confirmed that he was ready to be a head coach.

Like you said, he'll learn from this, repay his dues as an assistant, help take the Shockers cut down nets in Houston next April, and be on his way to another head coaching gig in the next decade.
                    78-65

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      But title's aren't that important to Chris Jans at this point.
                      If titles aren't important to him, he doesn't belong at WSU.

Oh, you meant job titles. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                        Fine with me.

He didn't murder someone; he made some bad decisions one night in a bar. None of his "victims" are crying themselves to sleep at night or seeking counseling. He has paid a massive personal and professional price, has apologized and admitted to his actions at every step, and asked for forgiveness.

If we employ Jody Adams, then Chris Jans shouldn't be a problem. Like... at all.
                        Only problem is, it's been proven that Jans was in the wrong. It hasn't been proven that Adams did anything wrong.. yet. I trust HCGM and his judgement, he'll make the decision he thinks is right and I'll be fine with it either way.

Comment

FWIW, I totally believe in second chances. People make mistakes, the key is learning from those mistakes. Maybe he has, maybe he hasn't. If he comes back and messes up again, that's a different story

Comment

My only problem with possibly hiring him back was the issue of how people outside of our university might perceive it. Then again, I need to quit caring what other people think.

I say bring him back.

Comment

Personally, I think he'd be better served taking the year off and getting whatever help he needs, and coming back next season. However, being that the season is still months away, that could be enough time for him to get himself right.

No matter what, there's always gonna be those people out there that will judge. It may cost the Shox some recruits, it may not.

Of course, this is assuming he does get hired back, and I'd say the chances of that happening are probably about as good as the chances of most Royals fans booing Brett Lawrie for a long time!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                                My only problem with possibly hiring him back was the issue of how people outside of our university might perceive it..
                                I would say that unless someone was an absolute hardcore college basketball fan who paid attention to the most intricate details of the sport, most people outside Wichita have already forgotten about this and won't really notice us hiring Chris back. It's not like assistant coaches are really known by name to the average fan. I am slightly above-average in being knowledgeable with college basketball as a whole, and I would struggle to tell you more than one or two of the other assistants at the other Valley schools.
                                78-65

Comment

Working...
                                X