Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Jans back??

Interesting comments by Greg Lansing:

Indiana State coach Greg Lansing, one of Jans’ closest friends, said Jans is back in Wichita with his family and wants to coach again soon and would love to return to Wichita State.
    “He’s doing as well as can be expected,” Lansing said. “There’s no question Wichita is where he wants to be. If I had a spot, I’d hire him in a heartbeat. That’s how much he means to me.”

Comment

Laying the groundwork. My guess is that this will happen. Not sure if it will be this year or not. I found the endorsement by Lansing interesting, as he seems to have a pretty squeaky-clean reputation around the league and region.

Are there any recruiting restrictions on ex-coaches not under contract?

Also, throwing this out as a possibility to the media to see if there is an initial burst of backlash is a pretty good way to get some input on how the decision would be perceived, which could help guide the final decision.

Comment

Fine with me.

He didn't murder someone; he made some bad decisions one night in a bar. None of his "victims" are crying themselves to sleep at night or seeking counseling. He has paid a massive personal and professional price, has apologized and admitted to his actions at every step, and asked for forgiveness.

If we employ Jody Adams, then Chris Jans shouldn't be a problem. Like... at all.

Comment

I would support it.

Comment

I'd take him back In a heartbeat.
            Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Once a shocker always a shocker...

Comment

I am glad that Coach Marshall is taking his time. He clearly will make the decision based on what he believes is in the best interest of the Wichita State Basketball team and not purely out of friendship and loyalty to Chris Jans or based on what Chris would really like. That said I am kind of hoping those various interests merge together at some point.

In any case, if Coach Marshall is convinced that would be a good move, I am convinced that would be a good move.

I did not realize Coach Lansing and Coach Jans were so close. That explains the good relationship the Wichita State and Indiana State coaching staffs enjoy.

Comment

I'm indifferent. Bring him back or not, I'm cool with it. If he does come back, the only issue that may impact the program are the possibility of recruits and/or their parents questioning GM on what assurances that CJ will not exhibit the same behavior and/or be a bad influence on their kids. Other programs fighting for the same recruits will most certainly be barking in the parent's ear saying you don't want to send your kid to WSU who has a coach on their staff who has personal demons. The dust will settle and it'll be a non-issue eventually, timing is everything here.

Comment

That, my friends, is what's called a test balloon, only in the world of Shocker hoops under the leadership of HCGM, it's not exactly what one would called veiled.

I think the word I used was stunned when discussing the likelihood of Tevin Glass returning.......that happening would rate about a 2 on the surprise scale as compared to the possibility of Chris Jans NOT returning to the Shocker bench this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                      Fine with me.

He didn't murder someone; he made some bad decisions one night in a bar. None of his "victims" are crying themselves to sleep at night or seeking counseling. He has paid a massive personal and professional price, has apologized and admitted to his actions at every step, and asked for forgiveness.

If we employ Jody Adams, then Chris Jans shouldn't be a problem. Like... at all.
                      That may be the post of the year. As I dug into the Jans thing, the entire night looked to be a group of people wanting to get their 15 minutes of fame by taking a coach down. Now, that being said, CJ has to accept responsibility for acting like a cross between Otis the town drunk from the Andy Griffith show and Frank the Tank from Old School. The leash at home will be only slightly shorter than the one Boatright etc has on him.

While BG may have had no choice but to let him go as HC, we have a lot more latitude in bringing him back as an assistant. Hopefully, CJ will learn the world is not always filled with 2nd chances and he will proceed to be a better dude because of this.

Comment

This article basically means it is happening. Spend a month talking about it...say all the things about "what he needs to do" and "what he did was not okay and won't be tolerated," then hire him and move on. I bet he'll be on the bench next season.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                          I'm indifferent. Bring him back or not, I'm cool with it. If he does come back, the only issue that may impact the program are the possibility of recruits and/or their parents questioning GM on what assurances that CJ will not exhibit the same behavior and/or be a bad influence on their kids. Other programs fighting for the same recruits will most certainly be barking in the parent's ear saying you don't want to send your kid to WSU who has a coach on their staff who has personal demons. The dust will settle and it'll be a non-issue eventually, timing is everything here.
                          No doubt that is an important practical consideration. Perhaps the most important consideration.

OTOH, if handled properly Chris probably has the ability to deal with that effectively. When he meets a player and their family he should be totally upfront. He can tell them that he made a horrible personal misktake that he paid dearly for. He can tell them how it has changed his life and he can tell them that I am a living example to show your son that just one instance of poor judgment can have serious repercussions.

Coach Marshall knows what the issues are and I just don't see him doing anything to jeapadize the program he has built (ironically with the help of Chris Jans) at Wichita State.

Comment

I think Chris Jans just wasnt ready for the power of being a head coach...he needs to go back to being an assistant and his old role would be where he belongs for the time being...I hope he is back...I think the program would only benefit again by having someone familiar with the everthing

Comment

Definitely laying the ground work for his return. I'd bet Marshall already plans on having him back and is just going through the proper process to make it alright in the eyes of the administration, fans, and colleagues.

Comment

Working...
                              X