Marshall's defining player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall's defining player

Fred is great. Really really great. So is Ron.

Marshall has had some outstanding players here, but I can't shake this feeling that the best is still out there. I've been feeling this way since he announced he would stay, but I couldn't put my finger on it until I watched the Christian Laettner 30 for 30. There is greatness waiting in the shadows. Ron has come the closest to that marquee type player, but he is still a ways off. Maybe I'm looney, but I feel like there is a player out there with the toughness of Tekele, the offensive capabilities of Cle and Ron, and a personality that needs a Marshall shaped key. He is out there, I can feel it.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by shock View Post

Marshall has had some outstanding players here, but I can't shake this feeling that the best is still out there. I've been feeling this way since he announced he would stay, but I couldn't put my finger on it until I watched the Christian Laettner 30 for 30. There is greatness waiting in the shadows. Ron has come the closest to that marquee type player, but he is still a ways off. Maybe I'm looney, but I feel like there is a player out there with the toughness of Tekele, the offensive capabilities of Cle and Ron, and a personality that needs a Marshall shaped key. He is out there, I can feel it.
    Oh brother

Comment

John Robert Simon?

Comment

Fred is the best point guard WSU has ever had. I think that's pretty good. I do think WSU will sign a top 50 guy here in the next couple years.

Comment

I'll take Fred. It won't be too long before #23 will be hanging in the rafters.

One thing that sticks with me is Marshall saying that he wants to win even worse than I do.
          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

I think he's playing for Kentucky.

Comment

FVV and Marshall are probably the closest in personality type and personna that could ever exist.

If Marshall ever signs another player who shares Marshall's spirit and attitudes more than FVV, I will be utterly amazed. It goes way beyond top-50 or top-100 or even top-500.

The only significant difference I see is that Fred is a bit more polished with the press.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Basically Fred Van Vleet at 6'5'' is what you're asking for... That's the only thing that's holding Fred back from being ''that guy'' ... Which is something he can't control....

Comment

Someone who knows Marshall's life story better than I do can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that another difference, Aargh, is that despite their age difference FVV leads Marshall 1-0 in terms of high school commencement addresses given.

Comment

Shock, like your 'feeling'. Now that the gates are open and 3.3MGM's name and reputation as a great coach is recognized throughout the nation, his ability to recruit will know, no limits.

He has built it from the ground floor up - AND THEY WILL COME!

Comment

I think of Cotton as the definition of HCGM's style of basketball/program. A diamond in the rough in terms of recruiting, shut-down defender, works hard to improve all aspects of his game, all business on the court. To me that defines WSU under Marshall. Oh yeah, and monster throwdowns.
                      Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Maybe FVV and TC are the best players that will ever come through under Marshall. I hope not. I want Marshall to have to buy a controlling interest in Zales just to have enough cabinet space to display his rings.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Maybe FVV and TC are the best players that will ever come through under Marshall. I hope not. I want Marshall to have to buy a controlling interest in Zales just to have enough cabinet space to display his rings.
                          It's gonna be hella heard to top those two.

Rafters.
                          Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                            Fred is the best point guard WSU has ever had. I think that's pretty good. I do think WSU will sign a top 50 guy here in the next couple years.
                            WSU already did. He starts playing in December.

Comment

IMHO...Cleanthony Early was Marshall's "defining player" thus far.
                              FINAL FOURS:
                              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                              Number of Times Ranked: 157
                              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                              #3 - Dec. 2017
                              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                              #2 ~ March 2014
                              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                              X