horrible comparison
    Care to elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
      Care to elaborate?
      I don't think he needs to...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Fozzy View Post
        Heard on the radio that it'll be around 3 pm.
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I don't know if Ron will stay or go and either way I wish him all the best. What a great find and get he was.

The one thing I could see that might drive Ron to stay is if he thinks the Shocks have a legitimate shot at a National Championship. Frank Kaminsky came back for another shot at that as did Jerian Grant at Notre Dame and Pat Canaughton of Notre Dame deferred his pro baseball career for another shot at the ring.
          With all due respect...

"im coming back to win a championship" is typically code for "im not good enough to get to the next level and I still want to play" Sure there are exceptions but it is what it is

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            The other part of the statement that was since his stock has peaked he might as well go pro now. By that rationale, Tekele should have gone pro after his junior year. Why does anyone stay for 4 years if they want to play pro ball?
            The “Ron Baker” thread is probably not the best place for this discussion, but because you are asking about it and it has to do with draft mechanics in general, I think this is as good a place as there is currently (especially since most of the other posts in here have to do with food). But before that, if you want to continue to have this discussion, please hit “reply with quote” if you are going to argue with things that I say in my posts otherwise I will stop replying since I don’t get notifications otherwise and I have no intention to follow this thread once Ron announces that he’s staying.

You would be 100% right if the category of “projected undrafted” were all identical. Under this assumption, people projected in the first round always go in the first round and people projected in the second round always go in the second round and never miss out. It also assumes that starting contracts internationally are all identical. Obviously, none of those things are true. So, let me explain why it might have made sense for someone like FVV to leave after their junior year even if Tekele should stay for four.

Let’s say FVV is pegged to just miss the second round this year. Essentially the “others receiving votes” category of the NBA draft. Let’s also assume for this hypothetical that FVV gets feedback suggesting that is even a little higher than is accurate. FVV in this hypothetical would benefit from leaving after his junior year because it means 1. He has a chance to get drafted in the second round, while he believes that next year he only has a risk of dropping his stock; 2. If he doesn’t get drafted, all of the teams will open up summer camp and development team options to him because of the additional hype he got. Again, only a risk of dropping stock; and 3. Even if that doesn’t work out, he can use the increased hype to negotiate a higher paying international gig. Tekele, on the other hand, has never ever been mentioned as an NBA player. No one has ever said “that dude just rocked the NCAA tournament, he’s going to be a professional player.” He’s in the exact opposite boat. He only has a risk of INCREASING his stock.

In this scenario, FVV benefits from leaving after his junior year and Tekele benefits from sticking around. That’s before you even consider an additional year of a 6 figure salary. If a player is guaranteed a lucrative contract overseas and they’re confident they won’t ever play in the NBA, lost earnings add up really fast. It ends up being 150k+ that you can’t ever get back. The longer you stay in college, the fewer years you’ll have in the NBA. This is nearly “by definition” type logical analysis. If your body will only allow you to play professional basketball until you’re 40, leaving at 18 instead of 23 gets you 5 extra years of a high paying salary.

Again, please don't respond with "that doesn't apply to FVV for X reason." I'm not trying to argue that FVV should leave or that any of these assumptions apply to him. That discussion would be more appropriate in another thread, and I certainly don't want to have that discussion now that we've received the good news that he is staying. I'm merely arguing that a FVV type player might benefit from leaving early even as a projected undrafted pick as opposed to sticking around.

Comment

From an unselfish viewpoint - I want Ron to go pro as I would hate to see him get injured and he does play an extremely aggressive game which certainly presents that possibility.

From a selfish viewpoint - I will tremendously simply just miss watching him play. Plus, no matter how anyone may coat it, there is absolutely, positively no way that we will be the same team without Ron Baker in our line-up.

IF YOU GO AWAY (paraphrased from the song)

If you go away on a summer day
              Then you might as well take the sun away
              All the tremendous skills you performed night after night
              Will be greatly missed once you take flight
              Our hearts and hopes will still be high
              But another major star will be missing from our night sky
              If you go away, if you go away, if you go away

But if you stay, our great crazy cheering fans will make you days,
              Like no days have been, or will be again.
              You’ll sail the sun, you will ride on the rain,
              As you help carry us back to the NCAA’s once again.

Then if you go, we’ll understand, when you eventually go away, go away, go away
              If you go away, if you go away, If you go away
              Please don't go away!

Comment

Staying.

Great news.

Comment

I think he will come back and hopefully, the announcement will help sway a big man who is on the fence about committing to WSU.

Comment

Per Suellentrop he is returning, via twitter

Comment

• @GoodmanESPN: Wichita State's Ron Baker and Fred VanVleet are both returning to school, Sources told ESPN. Shockers will be Preseason Top 10 team.

Comment

• Announcement has been postponed to 2016.

Comment

• Comment

• Jen Bates in on the action too:

@KWCHJenn: BREAKING. Ron Baker will return for senior season #shockers
                            The Assman

Comment

• Staying:

All-American guard, Ron Baker announced Monday that he will return for his senior season at Wichita State.

Comment

• Another good reason to make it out to Koch Arena on Thursday night for he year-end celebration.

Comment

Working...
                                X