• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
    Some questions:
    1. Will Glass transfer?
    2. Will Holland transfer?
    3. Will Baker, as a gift to the program, forego his scholarship? (Value would be about $15 thousand.)
    4. Will Wessel, as a gift to the program, forego his scholarship? (Value would be about $15 thousand.)
    5. Has Frankamp committed to forego a scholarship for the upcoming season?
    6. Will the NCAA increase the permitted scholarships per season, which becomes effective for the 2015-2016 season?
    7. If Baker and Wessel have completed their under graduate studies, will the NCAA permit them to complete their eligibility with an academic scholarship?

There are a lot of definite maybes listed above.

There is little doubt in the minds of the Baker, Wessel and Frankamp families that Coach Marshall is in a scholarship bind.

Baker will earn a substantial income, which begins in 2016, so he may surprise and forego a scholarship.

I am inclined to believe that Coach Marshall's scholarship commitment to the Frankamps is on a "best efforts basis."

I suspect that the Wessel family could afford to forego a scholarship, if they were so disposed to do so.

If the NCAA increased the number of permitted scholarships, I am sure it would give at least a one year notice to the universities, before the effective date of the permitted increase. So this is not an option.

I have wondered, if Coach Marshall would like to give a scholarship to John Robert Simon, if feasible. Long shot, I know. Since he is a sophomore, it is not likely.

I belive Coach Marshall needs only one scholarship source to come into compliance and it will all work out.
    I think that #3 and #4 are 99% (maybe 99.9) imo are definite NO Answers.
    #7 I believe has been answered before. The NCAA doesn't allow an athlete in basketball on an athletic scholarship to become an academic scholarship.
    The rest are good questions to be answered.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      My opinions only:

1. Yes
      2. I hope not but I think so.
      3. No
      4. No
      5, Conner will NOT be on scholarship in 15-16.

JRS is never going to be on athletic scholarship at WSU, no matter what HCGM would want to do.

We aren't done recruiting, so there will be at least 2 more subtraction from the current roster.
      This is what I think as well.

Comment

JRS is never going to be on athletic scholarship at WSU, no matter what HCGM would want to do.
        I wouldn't go that far. But if JRS is on an athletic scholarship at WSU, something has gone HORRIBLY wrong.

That would require a big surprise at the last minute, or multiple ones, where WSU just happens to have an open scholarship that year.
        Originally posted by BleacherReport
        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

My opinions only:

1. Yes
          3. No
          4. No

We aren't done recruiting, so there will be at least 2 more subtractions from the current roster.
          Ditto
          The Assman

Comment

My opinions only:

1. Yes
            3. No
            4. No

We aren't done recruiting, so there will be at least 2 more subtractions from the current roster.
            What the good Dr said. Sorry, following the herd.

Say RDR I am planning to see Enigma, thanks!
            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• I was asked earlier if we could have a dislike button added, but I'm going to forego that and just add an "I'm With Doc" button instead.
              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                I think that #3 and #4 are 99% (maybe 99.9) imo are definite NO Answers.
                #7 I believe has been answered before. The NCAA doesn't allow an athlete in basketball on an athletic scholarship to become an academic scholarship.
                The rest are good questions to be answered.
                Just delete my answer to go with Docs. Who wants to be a lonely bull going against the entire heard, even though the answers were close. :)

Comment

My opinions only:

1. Yes
                  3. No
                  4. No

I 100% disagree. But of course I have dyslexia.

Comment

• Baker, Wessell, and Frankcamp will all be on scholarship and you can mark that one done.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                      I 100% disagree. But of course I have dyslexia.
                      .eergasid %001 I
                      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelback View Post
                        Baker, Wessell, and Frankcamp will all be on scholarship and you can mark that one done.
                        Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                          What the good Dr said. Sorry, following the herd.

Say RDR I am planning to see Enigma, thanks!
                          I made an error in the message to you. The correct title is "The Imitation Game." The story line is about breaking the Enigma code.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by shelback View Post
                            Baker, Wessell, and Frankcamp will all be on scholarship and you can mark that one done.
                            Why?

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                              Why?
                              Camp might be on scholarship in 16-17, but not next year. And you can mark that one done.

Comment

• It has been stated that academic scholarships in lieu of athletic scholarships are not permitted by the NCAA. I have been researching the web to confirm this assertion.

Firstly, the NCAA website is a nightmare of bureaucracy. I could not confirm the assertion, but it is implied.

From this website, http://www.athleticscholarships.net/...holarships.htm, I found the following reading:

Grades Matter

Because of the way the recruiting process works, college coaches have a limited number of scholarships they can offer. A coach will work with prospective student athletes and the financial aid office to first determine if a student is eligible for financial aid. If a student qualifies, the amount of the scholarship decreases, leaving more money for scholarships for other students.
                                Another factor that plays a role in this occurs when students are eligible for academic scholarships. If a student athlete can earn an academic scholarship, the coach again does not need to offer an athletic scholarship, leaving more money for other students. This can only happen when a student has good grades, and this is one key reason why grades matter.
                                To qualify for academic scholarships, a student generally must have a 3.5 GPA or higher, 25 ACT score or higher, 1200 SAT score or higher, and must rank within the top 10 percent of the class. Every college or university may have different requirements — these are approximates.

I could not find more specific information about academic in lieu of athletic scholarships.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                                X