2015 MVC Attendance: It's bad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KUhater View Post
    Is there a causation between not having football and having great basketball attendance?
    Hmm. Well, taking just the state of Kansas as a sample there would at least seem to be very strong correlation. WSU and KU both do not have football teams and both have very strong attendance and basketball fan bases. KState has football and basketball fans that show up to 2 games a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
      Hmm. Well, taking just the state of Kansas as a sample there would at least seem to be very strong correlation. WSU and KU both do not have football teams and both have very strong attendance and basketball fan bases. KState has football and basketball fans that show up to 2 games a year.
      KU has a football team.

Comment

Originally posted by Robant15 View Post
        KU has a football team.

Debatable!

Comment

KU has a football team.
          Whoosh.

Comment

KU has a football team.
            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Debatable!
              Hahaha, needed that laugh. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                Why is Bradley's number so high? How are they 2nd in attendance? Do they really support their program like that?
                Carver Arena, which they've used for years, seats over 11,000.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                  I wholly appreciate the work it took to whip up the 2015 MVC attendance figures Rlh04d, but if you had waited a little bit the NCAA would have done that work for you.
                  Eh, took less than 30 minutes to put together. A few of the Valley teams you can grab their programs PDF files online and they had all game box scores in there. The rest I just popped open the box scores on Yahoo in new tabs. I was interested in seeing what the numbers were like now, and I'm not sure how long after the end of the season the NCAA takes to put those numbers out.

The historical data took a lot longer.
                  Originally posted by BleacherReport
                  Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Is there a causation between not having football and having great basketball attendance?
                    I would definitely argue there's a correlation. Causation is up for debate. I think the causation might be more between having football and lower basketball success. How many schools are great at both football and basketball, across the country? I might vomit to say it, but Florida's the only school I can remember being elite in both sports at the same time recently. Michigan in the 90s. Anyone else? It's a lot more common to have your Indiana/North Carolina/Duke/Kansas/UCLA types as elite basketball schools and Florida State/Alabama/LSU/USC types as elite football schools. Or average success in both.

Missouri State is one of the higher attendances in the league and they have decent FCS attendance. Loyola has no football and they have no basketball attendance, either.

I'd say there's a causation between attendance and short-term success/long-term success/metro size/competition.
                    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                      Missouri State is one of the higher attendances in the league and they have decent FCS attendance. Loyola has no football and they have no basketball attendance, either.

I'd say there's a causation between attendance and short-term success/long-term success/metro size/competition.
                      Does Missouri State really support football? I thought that they historically had very poor numbers. They renovated their stadium and opened it up this fall. From what I recall, they had huge numbers for the first two games, but poor play dropped their attendance back to low numbers. From what I remember, decent numbers and Missouri State football don't go hand in hand. They fired Terry Allen at the end of the season.

Maybe their football numbers are historically good, I don't know. I just enjoyed their fans melting down as their season went south this last fall.
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

KU has a football team.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                          Does Missouri State really support football? I thought that they historically had very poor numbers. They renovated their stadium and opened it up this fall. From what I recall, they had huge numbers for the first two games, but poor play dropped their attendance back to low numbers. From what I remember, decent numbers and Missouri State football don't go hand in hand. They fired Terry Allen at the end of the season.

Maybe their football numbers are historically good, I don't know. I just enjoyed their fans melting down as their season went south this last fall.
                          I think that they have not had a history of good attendance and this year they were below 10,000 p/game. They had 18000 for the first game and then fell off during the year. They have a new coach Dave Steckel from MU so now they are all behind football again and thinking that Steckel will add Missouri U. to their schedule which will mean that they lose by 50 points or more. LOL

Comment

Avg. football attendance from the MSU website:

2014. 11,665
                            2013. 8,700
                            2012. 8,710
                            2011. ?
                            2010. 9,028
                            "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                              I think that they have not had a history of good attendance and this year they were below 10,000 p/game. They had 18000 for the first game and then fell off during the year. They have a new coach Dave Steckel from MU so now they are all behind football again and thinking that Steckel will add Missouri U. to their schedule which will mean that they lose by 50 points or more. LOL
                              I looked them up. Missouri State is historically middle of the road in attendance. They finish in the high 40's to low 50's in FBS attendance. 8,700-8,900 per game. Not bad overall, but bad for the MVFC and really bad if you think other conferences are going to invite you to join. Their stadium is less than half full for their games.
                              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

In 2013 MoSt was 37th out of 125 FCS football teams. I'm okay with calling that decent.

Don't get me wrong, their attendance would be bad if MoSt was an FBS team. But top 30% of their division is just fine. They're a perfectly above average FCS crowd.

Comment

Working...
                                X