Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is WSU now a $3 million job or is it a $3 million job only for Gregg Marshall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is WSU now a $3 million job or is it a $3 million job only for Gregg Marshall?

Mike Reis ‏@MikeReisSIU 52m52 minutes ago Carbondale, IL Imp't question: Is WSU now a $3 million job or is it a $3 million job only for Gregg Marshall? The answer matters for others in the MVC. IMO

Discuss...
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Both. It shows that we can hang with anyone in ability to pay a coach. That said, we aren't paying just anyone $3 million. If Gregg leaves in 5 years, we aren't paying his replacement $3 million unless it is a home run hire...scratch that, GRAND SLAM hire.
    78-65

Comment

New hire will have to prove himself to get to that level.

Comment

I've asked myself this question already and I think it's an even split. Two years ago, I would have said it's all Marshall. But with the shockwave that has rumbled through campus (new dorm, higher enrollment, Innovation Campus), it's clear what national success in basketball means to the university. And the principals understand that.

Comment

Gregg Marshall is a $3M coach... Results matter and he's warned that money... We have no business bringing in a coach with no credentials in the ncaa tourney, when the bar has been set do high by 3G.

Comment

Being Top 6 in the country (salary) is rare air.

Comment

Instead of 3G we can now refer to him as 3M

Comment

Its both. Wichita State isn't in this position without Marshall, but Marshall isn't in this position without WSU. Without WSU's Fan support, Athletic Department Support, Financial Backer support, and overall commitment to doing whatever it takes along with giving Marshall control and staying hands off, I don't think he attracts the recruits he does and does as well. How many recruits have sealed the deal by just coming into KOCH for a game and hearing the fans?

Its a two-way street.

Comment

Why does it matter for the rest of the MVC? For the foreseeable future it's a 3 million dollar a year job that Gregg Marshall has. Which means, for the foreseeable future WSU is going to continue to dominate the MVC.

Comment

It shows that the ceiling for the program of Wichita State basketball is above 3 million. A new coach's salary would be based on his value at the time and if he deserved our ceiling then I'm sure WSU would swing it.
                    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                      It shows that the ceiling for the program of Wichita State basketball is above 3 million. A new coach's salary would be based on his value at the time and if he deserved our ceiling then I'm sure WSU would swing it.
                      This .. I by no means think WSU "maxed" out to do this. They proposed compensation that they felt matched what Alabama offered. Part of that included a pay raise. The rest of the pay was offset by other non-monetary benefits. I also feel like they wanted to make a statement that WSU wont just go quietly into the night and let "power" school have their way with them. They can and will step up to the plate. This might fend off some of the yearly offers that seem to come. It really only leaves a very small contingent of school with the pedigree AND financial backing to try to lure him away.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                        This .. I by no means think WSU "maxed" out to do this. They proposed compensation that they felt matched what Alabama offered. Part of that included a pay raise. The rest of the pay was offset by other non-monetary benefits. I also feel like they wanted to make a statement that WSU wont just go quietly into the night and let "power" school have their way with them. They can and will step up to the plate. This might fend off some of the yearly offers that seem to come. It really only leaves a very small contingent of school with the pedigree AND financial backing to try to lure him away.
                        There is also a quote from Sexton to support it, he stated something like we have the funds to match but there is a measurement where you have to ask yourself is this financially responsible? Sexton is a smart man, and he's done a hell of a job keeping Marshall happy and in town winning basketball games and cutting down nets.
                        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                          There is also a quote from Sexton to support it, he stated something like we have the funds to match but there is a measurement where you have to ask yourself is this financially responsible? Sexton is a smart man, and he's done a hell of a job keeping Marshall happy and in town winning basketball games and cutting down nets.
                          Bardo asked himself and said yes.

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                            Instead of 3G we can now refer to him as 3M
                            Or 3000G... or is it 3KG?

Comment

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 2m2 minutes ago RT @CBSSportsCBB: Gregg Marshall's new contract at Wichita State is worth more than $3 million per year. Details: http://cbsprt.co/1NE2gmG

Comment

Working...
                              X