Thoughts on Landry Shamet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
    Let’s not forget Landry’s BBall IQ. Many players don’t even make those cuts because they don’t see the opportunity.

(or maybe they know they will not get the ball. lol)

There was an article in the Eagle early this past season about TE going to the coaches and asking for film to study Ron, Fred and Landry and how he was trying to pick up on their ability to use angles to move to make it easier for the passers to find him for open spots for shots. Unfortunately, none of his teammates apparently got the memo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post

There was an article in the Eagle early this past season about TE going to the coaches and asking for film to study Ron, Fred and Landry and how he was trying to pick up on their ability to use angles to move to make it easier for the passers to find him for open spots for shots. Unfortunately, none of his teammates apparently got the memo.
      I gotta, I mean its Batman.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Taylor Eldridge interviewed P.J. Couisnard, Karon Bradley, Terell Benton, and Zach Brown on what it meant to them to grow up with black skin.

Couisnard grew up in the same area of Houston as George Floyd. Couisnard coaches Floyd's nephew. His dad knew Floyd and his mom knew Floyd's mom.

Couisnard's words:
            “The line has been drawn now. Either you are against racism or for it. There’s no more in between, no more middle ground. If you’re white, then you’ve got to use your voice and speak on it. Because there’s no more just sitting back saying, ‘Well, I’m not a racist.’ That’s not good enough.” “The line has been drawn now. Either you are against racism or for it. There’s no more in between, no more middle ground. If you’re white, then you’ve got to use your voice and speak on it. Because there’s no more just sitting back saying, ‘Well, I’m not a racist.’ That’s not good enough.”
            Zach Brown had a poignant comment on life after his parents and he moved from a predominantly black neighborhood to a predominantly white neighborhood:
            “I had real identity problems back then,” Brown said. “Not thinking I was good enough. Not thinking I deserved to be in the same room as them, based on how they treated me. I felt like since I was different, I was ugly. No matter what I did, I was usually just a very, very lonely kid growing up.”
            Another quote from Zach:
            “I want to become a leader in this world and help build things with my voice,” Brown said. “But it’s hard to do that when a lot of people take one look at you and don’t think you’re smart enough to sit in a room and hold a conversation with them. You try not to let it get you down, but it’s disappointing because I am so much more than what some people think I am.”
            Those of us with European backgrounds didn't have to overcome the obstacles the guys in the article had to overcome. They overcame obstacles to become highly respected citizens and some great ambassadors for ending racism in our country.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...243504836.html
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I saw the title of this tread on the MBB page and was struck with a thought.

I don’t mean any disrespect to Landry when I say this: is he strangely forgettable to anyone else? He is the second greatest player of the Marshall era, yet whenever I see his name it’s like, oh yeah...
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                I saw the title of this tread on the MBB page and was struck with a thought.

I don’t mean any disrespect to Landry when I say this: is he strangely forgettable to anyone else? He is the second greatest player of the Marshall era, yet whenever I see his name it’s like, oh yeah...
                No. And the dude is just getting warmed up.

Comment

Probably has to do with the fact that the teams he played on underperformed versus expectations. At the end of the day, LS never had a real PG on his team.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Probably has to do with the fact that the teams he played on underperformed versus expectations. At the end of the day, LS never had a real PG on his team.
                    I love Landry. He is an all time great shocker. I was taken aback by forgetting about him, and it’s happened several times.

Funny tho because it’s not that way during the NBA season. He just isn’t on the same plane as Fred for me I guess.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Fred will have a jersey or number retired, no questions asked. I would think that Landry, Ron, and Cleanthony will also be highly considered but we probably won’t find 100% agreement by fans on it.

Landry was a 1st. Round Drafy Choice, and will be a much better pro than Ron, but there may be differences with good arguments on both sides on who was the better college player. Landry was and is an elite 3 point shooter, and was a good all around player, but he was/is probably our best 3 point shooter ever. Ron was so good at all phases of the game (rebounding, defense, passing, driving, etc. ) and was an above average 3 point shooter but was an elite defender. Both could play point guard but it wasn’t their natural position. Personally, I think Ron was a better college player and Landry will be a batter pro, but we also saw Ron play 4 years to 2 full years for Landry.

Comment

• LS's pro career will be one we will remember. He is a smart heady player that can shoot the lights out. I expect him to be a 10+ year player in the NBA/
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                          LS's pro career will be one we will remember. He is a smart heady player that can shoot the lights out. I expect him to be a 10+ year player in the NBA/
                          For sure. But it’s crazy that he left school early, got drafted in the first round, and yet he is still living in the shadow of a team that has one current NBA player.

Comment

• Landry couldn't play defense. Shocker greats play defense. Smart guy with a good work ethic in the practice gym though.

T

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                              Fred will have a jersey or number retired, no questions asked. I would think that Landry, Ron, and Cleanthony will also be highly considered but we probably won’t find 100% agreement by fans on it.

Landry was a 1st. Round Drafy Choice, and will be a much better pro than Ron, but there may be differences with good arguments on both sides on who was the better college player. Landry was and is an elite 3 point shooter, and was a good all around player, but he was/is probably our best 3 point shooter ever. Ron was so good at all phases of the game (rebounding, defense, passing, driving, etc. ) and was an above average 3 point shooter but was an elite defender. Both could play point guard but it wasn’t their natural position. Personally, I think Ron was a better college player and Landry will be a batter pro, but we also saw Ron play 4 years to 2 full years for Landry.
                              First, the fans have nothing to say about.

Second, Cleanthony is 1 of only 3 Shockers to be a Consensus All-American in modern basketball along with Stallworth and McDaniel. His jersey will hang.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                                Fred will have a jersey or number retired, no questions asked. I would think that Landry, Ron, and Cleanthony will also be highly considered but we probably won’t find 100% agreement by fans on it.
                                You hang jersey in rafters for players accomplishment at WSU. Landry has no accomplishments that warrant his Jersey ever being retired.

Comment

Working...
                                X