Why Marshall Won't Leave WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Marshall Won't Leave WSU

First, lets rank the jobs that realistically would have Marshall packing his bags:

1. UNC.

North Carolina is the best fit for HCGM. I would not be bothered one bit if he left WSU for that job. It is close to his roots, it is a legendary program, and he could compete for a NC.
    BUT
    HCGM is not of the right bloodline. They will want a pro style coach to play basketball the blueblood way. They will want a coach who can coach blue-chippers and convince them to stay for more than one year. They aren't interested in three stars like Tekele Cotton, or no-names like Ron Baker. Carl Hall would have had the organization in fits. Gregg Marshall is the type of man that likes to be king. He doesn't like pressure and is addicted to winning. He would have stress and pressure every year at UNC.

2. Duke

See #1

BUT

See #1

Now lets take a look at what schools they say Marshall will pack his bags for, in no particular order.

1. Texas

People seem to think that Marshall will bolt for Texas when they call. Only three schools in Texas have ever played for a basketball championship. Only one team has won it all. (Baylor x1, Houston x2, Texas Western) Look at all the talent and money that rolls through Texas, yet they only have one championship to show for it, and it belongs to one of the least sexy schools in the state. Why? Because football is not only a king, it's worshipped. Church is in session three days a week- Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. Baseball is Prince. Basketball is a dirty bastard child that the king hates to admit is his own. Basketball is forever an after thought in Texas and at Texas.

2. Tennessee
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AAA.... whoo... BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Good joke.

3. Alabama
    $3 million. That would buy 600,000 $5 hamburgers. Lynn could get 60,000 manicures and pedicures. HCGM could pay cash for Kellen's tuition to WSU. Three million is a LOT of dough. But will he be happy? His current AD stays well out of his way. As long as he is winning 25+ games a year, Winning in the Tournament, and recruiting players that can compete, ADES will continue to. He is the big dog on campus, Wichita adores him, and he is friends with one of the richest men on the planet. He doesn't have to share a plane with anyone he doesn't want to. He has some of the highest paid quality assistants in the country. His farts smell like roses. How can $3 million replace that.

Sure, $3 million buys a lot of cocaine and strippers, but that is not our coach. $3million buys nice cars, but he already has nice cars.

Maybe there is a recruiting advantage? He has said repeatedly that he doesn't recruit based on stars. He recruits based on whether or not they would fit his program. I firmly believe that we would be seeing the same type of team in a different uniform if he went anywhere else.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, HCGM is a fat cat. He is happy, his family is happy, why mess with true joy for greed? HCGM will retire at WSU, and you can take that to the bank.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
    Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

IMO, Duke and UNC are very different animals here. Duke simply isn't hiring a guy that isn't a "Duke" guy. Coach K has his coaching tree, and the next Duke coach will come from that tree.

UNC's a different animal entirely. No one talks about the UNC job as being about a "UNC guy," and really UNC's been falling behind Duke in relevancy for a while, even without the bludgeoning they deserve to be taking over the academic scandal. UNC's a possibility. There's definitely still problems with him being the guy they would target, but he would realistically be a target. He would not be at Duke.
    Originally posted by BleacherReport
    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

The only thing I disagree with (if I understand correctly) is that Marshall will shy away from the pressure of a blue blood gig. I don't think he would mind the pressure at all, and he would probably thrive on it.

OTOH, I don't think he would take too kindly to fan bases, boosters and ADs that aren't happy with 17 NCAA appearances in 18 years and 5 sweet 16s in 11 (Texas). He will get that kind of lack of understanding about basketball from every team named above.
      Livin the dream

Comment

He won't retire at wichita state... But he's not leaving this year... He has no much invested and a team back for another ride... He'll reload and roll the dice

Comment

UNC will draw from its tree or will go after the best coach in the country that's proven at he highest level. While HCGM has a coach of the year award and been to a final 4, he's not proven in a P5 league. I think they would look at this as a risk. I would think they'd go after someone like Sean Miller, big name coach at a major school.

Comment

Cause we love im'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
              UNC's a different animal entirely. No one talks about the UNC job as being about a "UNC guy," and really UNC's been falling behind Duke in relevancy for a while, even without the bludgeoning they deserve to be taking over the academic scandal. UNC's a possibility. There's definitely still problems with him being the guy they would target, but he would realistically be a target. He would not be at Duke.
              Every coach since Dean Smith has been intimately tied to the Dean Smith tree.

I agree with @Shock 1:00% on this analysis. I've been saying for a while that none of these jobs scare me. UK and Indiana are the jobs that worry me when they eventually open. UK will most likely go to Donovan, so even that isn't that concerning.

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                IMO, Duke and UNC are very different animals here. Duke simply isn't hiring a guy that isn't a "Duke" guy. Coach K has his coaching tree, and the next Duke coach will come from that tree.

UNC will never do the 'UNC guy' thing again after Matt D's demise. Dean wanted Roy and that's the primary reason Roy isn't still at KU. . And as for 'falling behind Duke', 2011 and 2012 were great UNC teams. Injuries got 'em. 2013-this season, sure, Duke has led the way. (but even last year is up for debate) That will change back next season, I think. No way Marshall ever coaches at Duke. Not with Dawkins, Amaker, Hurley, Brey, etc out there.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post

I agree with @Shock 100% on this analysis. I've been saying for a while that none of these jobs scare me. UK and Indiana are the jobs that worry me when they eventually open. UK will most likely go to Donovan, so even that isn't that concerning.
                  I bet Donovan is in the NBA soon.

I guess we'll see if the Dean Smith tree is still important with the next hire. I suspect it won't be.
                  Originally posted by BleacherReport
                  Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

I think Marshall wants to be much greater than what would be allowed by some of the commonly mentioned paths on this board.

Comment

I really think Marshall stays! Everything coach has built is set up for next season. That in itself should be a huge deterrent.

Comment

HCGM has yet to reap the rewards for his hard work at WSU. Reap does not equate to moving

No particular order

1. Great core of players coming back next year
                        2. Will reciprocate FVV loyalty to WSU and GM
                        3. Great recruiting class coming in
                        4. CKA suites
                        5. Additional athletic facilities expansion
                        6. CK is an individual he greatly admires
                        7. Family
                        8. Basketball is king at WSU
                        9. Continued raises which easily puts him near 2.5m

I'd be surprised at Alabama, UT, or anything less than a blue blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                          HCGM has yet to reap the rewards for his hard work at WSU. Reap does not equate to moving

No particular order

4. CKA suites
                          7. Family

By the time a blue-blood opens, 3Gs might have already made WSU a new blue-blood.
                          The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post

No particular order

4. CKA suites
                            7. Family

And I am not sure what it's going to be since we have KOCH arena and DEVLIN court but you have to figure something significant is going to permanently end up with his name on it.
                            The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post

I agree with @Shock 1:00% on this analysis. I've been saying for a while that none of these jobs scare me. UK and Indiana are the jobs that worry me when they eventually open. UK will most likely go to Donovan, so even that isn't that concerning.
                              If UK gets Donovan, would Marshall go to Florida?
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X