The Trend: What's next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Trend: What's next

These past couple years have been very memorable. The Final 4 run, Going undefeated in the regular season, Frankcamp transfers to WSU, WSU knocks ku out of the ncaa tournament.. What happens next? I feel there's nothing more we can really do to ku and just to make it clear, I thought I'd never get a chance to say that. What could possibly be left for us wsu fans to fathom that seems impossible for this program? Winning the national championship ranks up there I think.. Calapari schedules us to a home and home and we take the series. That's all I can really come up with.

All the marbles.

Comment

I think it's more about sustaining this high level of success rather than build on it, which says a lot about how high 3G and his players have taken this program.

Comment

The only thing left is a national title, and if all of our pieces come back next year, we have a real shot at it. We just need that one dominant big man, and it's not a crazy proposition at all.

It's amazing to have come so far in less than a decade that only a national title remains and it is truly possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post
          I think it's more about sustaining this high level of success rather than build on it, which says a lot about how high 3G and his players have taken this program.
          Good point. What's next is maintaining similar performance and building a legacy. It's a long-term answer. There really isn't anything left other than building tradition.

Comment

We all know how hard it is for a non-P5 team to maintain the success we've had over the past few years. Gonzaga may be the only example out there, though you could argue Xavier is dang close, and now they are in a tweener league that could help them continue to be good.

So for me, having enjoyed the last five years immensely, here is what would keep a perpetual grin on my fan face:

- 25+ wins a year, and never lower than 2nd in the Valley
            - Perennial NCAA tournament team
            - Favored to win in the round of 64 (7-seed or better) most of those years
            - Sweet 16 every couple of years
            - In the Final Four conversation every 3-5 years

Comment

Besides what everyone has said, maybe have all our non-conference games against P5 schools, except for the exempt tournaments where we might not be able to prevent playing a non-P5 school.

Comment

Title game vs a Blue-blood (UNC, dook, UK)

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                  We all know how hard it is for a non-P5 team to maintain the success we've had over the past few years. Gonzaga may be the only example out there, though you could argue Xavier is dang close, and now they are in a tweener league that could help them continue to be good.

So for me, having enjoyed the last five years immensely, here is what would keep a perpetual grin on my fan face:

- 25+ wins a year, and never lower than 2nd in the Valley
                  - Perennial NCAA tournament team
                  - Favored to win in the round of 64 (7-seed or better) most of those years
                  - Sweet 16 every couple of years
                  - In the Final Four conversation every 3-5 years
                  These are good stretch goals for our baseball team while they rebuild. But what about the basketball team?
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

No WSU coach has been to multiple Final 4s. I'd like to see HCGM be the first.
                    I'd also like to see him bring in his first 5 star recruit, perhaps a McD AA. Both would be firsts for him.
                    I'd like to see recruiting, in general, come up another level. This incoming class looks pretty good, but we're still taking flyers on some guys, as evidenced by our bench.

Comment

More of the same. We have a tremendous fan base, good facilities, a coveted coaching
                      opportunity for someone should, God forbid, GM goes for the $$$, and very good players
                      returning for the next 2-4 years. Our recent success / notoriety should bode well for
                      recruiting in the next few seasons. I see no reason why we should not be able to sustain
                      quality basketball / entertainment for the foreseeable future. Having said that, naturally,
                      we all care about HCGM and hope he remains at the helm for as long as he wants. Money
                      is important, but so is a fan base that loves you. GM has BOTH here and I am hoping THAT
                      keeps him here.

Comment

A consistent pipeline to the NBA would be good to establish, especially if we send up a legit star or two. Huge help with recruiting and it's also just fun to be able to keep rooting for our guys. (without adopting a Belgian team or whatever)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          No WSU coach has been to multiple Final 4s. I'd like to see HCGM be the first.
                          I'd also like to see him bring in his first 5 star recruit, perhaps a McD AA. Both would be firsts for him.
                          I'd like to see recruiting, in general, come up another level. This incoming class looks pretty good, but we're still taking flyers on some guys, as evidenced by our bench.
                          I don't disagree with your post, every team would like to be deeper and more consistent in recruiting.

But I don't care how many stars a recruit has, if they make All American lists playing at Wichita State.
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by DCShockerFan05 View Post
                            A consistent pipeline to the NBA would be good to establish, especially if we send up a legit star or two. Huge help with recruiting and it's also just fun to be able to keep rooting for our guys. (without adopting a Belgian team or whatever)
                            I would have been better off adopting a Belgian team than the Knicks the past couple of years...

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                              I don't disagree with your post, every team would like to be deeper and more consistent in recruiting.

But I don't care how many stars a recruit has, if they make All American lists playing at Wichita State.
                              Totally agree, KU would kill to have Baker/Vanvleet in their backcourt. That said, we have to work extra hard to find the unheralded guys. It would be nice to be able to have a better pick of the crop, yet continue to mine for undisovered talent. Sending more guys to the NBA will help, just a matter of time.

Comment

Working...
                              X