The Official Fix the Technical Difficulties Bitching Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kochHead View Post
    Bingo. Why in the world should we lose an interview with HCGM because a $50 recorder? I would understand if it happened one time, because well, **** happens. But for this to have happened multiple times is just stupid. Buy him an nice recorder and have someone use their smartphone as a backup. Also, the twitter thing you mentioned is just as easy to solve (you had a good solution).

I am not blaming MK for any of this. He does what he does very well, but he is getting older and we may need to help him out a little with some of this technical stuff.
    Or have a text line, you can set up any ole phone to receive text questions from fans. Usually that will get service better than data in crowds, if you really can't get a laptop set up there.

I agree. Mike is the best. The absolute best. It is an administration problem, not a talent problem.

Comment

As one who is previously experienced in this matter, I'd like to shed a few facts on the subject.
      1. The broadcast is generated at the site (arena, ballpark, etc) via a phone line directly to the radio station. They either use a POTS line (plain ol telephone signal, or analog) or an ISDN line (digital phone line). The equipment used at the site is provided by the broadcasting rights holder (in this case, CBS). The equipment that receives the broadcast is located at, and provided by, the radio station (Entercom).
      2. Since phone lines are the vehicle, there are 2 places that need a clean signal in their line...the lines at the site going to the connecting trunk outside the arena/ballpark...and the lines going from the trunk to the radio station. These lines HAVE to be able to carry the information with ZERO interference or static.
      3. I'm not familiar with the equipment that CBS is using, but I do know that they bought new equipment for Mike to use. I don't know for a fact, but, based on the fact that CBS is experiencing the same issues I had with signal dropping and the like, I'm pretty sure that Entercom is still using the same dated equipment they have used in the past.
      4. It will be interesting to see if this changes for next year, based on the fact that Entercom is moving into a new building and is most likely upgrading their equipment, which , IMHO, will solve the problem.
      5. Establishing a network is not as easy as it sounds. It all comes down to economics. There are limited stations in the state and they already have long term agreements with KU and KSU. In the markets where there exists an additional station, they are usually unwilling to put WSU as the sport because it usually conflicts with local sports broadcasting, which is a HUGE revenue generator for them. I did have one group that I met with and had a plan to cover 3/4 of the state (not NE KS), but when it came down to economics, they wanted the equivilant of one year's profit to air the games. Neither I nor WSU wanted to pay that much.

While not involved with the broadcasts anymore, I'm still a huge fan. This post is only to inform the Shocker Nation of the facts surrounding the broadcasts of Shocker games and to hopefully put to rest a lot of the "conjecture" that continually gets put out there

Comment

So your saying when Mike and I broadcast the Web.com this year it will be the same archaic equipment?

Mike and I have been doing the tournament since the days of wooden drivers. I don't recall our broadcasts experiencing any tech issues like the coaches show.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
          So your saying when Mike and I broadcast the Web.com this year it will be the same archaic equipment?

Mike and I have been doing the tournament since the days of wooden drivers. I don't recall our broadcasts experiencing any tech issues like the coaches show.
          We've known each other a long time SHOX. The equipment you use at the Web.com event IS different than the equipment used via phone lines. For a short range, outdoor venue, the equipment you are using, albeit archiac, is well suited for the job. The equipment they are using for the Coaches Show....not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerRadio View Post
            We've known each other a long time SHOX. The equipment you use at the Web.com event IS different than the equipment used via phone lines. For a short range, outdoor venue, the equipment you are using, albeit archiac, is well suited for the job. The equipment they are using for the Coaches Show....not so much.
            I hope were friends.
            :-)
            In our case, archaic = effective!!!!
            Works for me.

Comment

So I'm still seeing blame passed back and forth. If Entercom really has crappy equipment that contributes to the problem and has done nothing about it despite 10 plus years of **** broadcasts let's change stations Mr Sexton. Otherwise lets tell CBS what a low grade turd of a product they put out and if causes us to lose our coach it's going to result in a class action lawsuit and a kick in the grapes.

Comment

Working...
              X