The Official Fix the Technical Difficulties Bitching Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Fix the Technical Difficulties Bitching Thread

This guy seems to be the problem since he and the shitty equipment have both been at the radio station forever.

Thoughts?

No, although I like your passion, this is a CBS Sports Properties problem. At least that is how I understand it.

Wichita State, Entercom nor KNSS have anything to do with these broadcasts. Now the producer in the studio is probably employed by KNSS, but aside from that everything else is owned and operated by CBS Sports Properties (at least that is how it was explained to me at one time).

If you really want to know what the issues are... I have a friend in radio who explained it like this.. KU, K-State, Oklahoma ect... they are a part of Learfield or IMG Sports, which is basically their version of CBS. They set up the radio network, they sell the ads, they pay the play-by-play announcer, they also pay the school for the rights to broadcast the games.

Learfield and IMG have access to satellites, that is how they broadcast the games.. WSU, with no radio network to speak of, does not. Mike does everything through the internet. If his internet connection slows, the broadcast quality messes up. That is pretty much the whole situation.

Now when we switched from BDG or whatever to CBS, I kind of thought we might be getting a network, more radio coverage, better online streaming, ect. But it has seemed to be the COMPLETE opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
      Wichita State, Entercom nor KNSS have anything to do with these broadcasts.
      I appreciate all of the information that you provided. Even if you're right about all of it, though, I have a hard time believing this is JUST a CBS Sports Properties problem.

Let me give an example. When in college, I worked at a bank. We outsourced a lot of our departments to other companies. The company that did all of our transaction processing was total crap. They always broke down and it meant our customers' check cards wouldn't process even with sufficient funds. If someone called in, we were told to tell them it wasn't our fault and it's just the other company's fault. That said, I guarantee if every customer called in, we'd find a new company.

If options exist, it's not an unfixable problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
        I appreciate all of the information that you provided. Even if you're right about all of it, though, I have a hard time believing this is JUST a CBS Sports Properties problem.

Let me give an example. When in college, I worked at a bank. We outsourced a lot of our departments to other companies. The company that did all of our transaction processing was total crap. They always broke down and it meant our customers' check cards wouldn't process even with sufficient funds. If someone called in, we were told to tell them it wasn't our fault and it's just the other company's fault. That said, I guarantee if every customer called in, we'd find a new company.

If options exist, it's not an unfixable problem.
        Oh don't get me wrong, the buck has to stop with Wichita State and Sexton. But as far as buying equipment, paying Mike, selling the ads, ect. I would be willing to bet it is all CBS. Now WSU has to work with them, it isn't 100% separate. The point I was trying to make there is that the KNSS program director probably doesn't have anything to do with what equipment Mike is using.

Comment

I was doing some searching around last night. Missouri State is a Learfield school. Illinois State also has a radio network. As does Tulsa. However, Creighton does not. Seems to be that football is the problem, as it usually is.

Comment

Oh don't get me wrong, the buck has to stop with Wichita State and Sexton. But as far as buying equipment, paying Mike, selling the ads, ect. I would be willing to bet it is all CBS. Now WSU has to work with them, it isn't 100% separate. The point I was trying to make there is that the KNSS program director probably doesn't have anything to do with what equipment Mike is using.
            Got mixed up on which thread this was. I didn't realize this was the one with the linkedin link. I'm absolutely on your side, that guy isn't to blame.

Maybe since this is the "official" thread we can organize a calling campaign, though.

Comment

Not sure who or what causes the technical problems, but I do think with the current success of the program, the time is ripe for establishing a network. Know a
              lot of fans in western Kansas would love the Shockers on their local radio.

Comment

Originally posted by washedup View Post
                Not sure who or what causes the technical problems, but I do think with the current success of the program, the time is ripe for establishing a network. Know a
                lot of fans in western Kansas would love the Shockers on their local radio.
                Same. I am kind of surprised they haven't done this. Which is why I wonder if CBS is doing its job well. I know that some schools PAY other stations to broadcast their games as a form of PR and advertising. At the very least you'd think the university would be interested in extending the brand with some radio presence in other markets. Instead, we have jacked all sports but baseball and basketball off the airwaves, and settle for the status quo in all areas.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                  https://www.linkedin.com/pub/tony-duesing/13/807/2b7

This guy seems to be the problem since he and the shitty equipment have both been at the radio station forever.

Thoughts?
                  Posing behind a tree? Give me a break.

Over the years, the blame has been cast Duesing's way.
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

We do sort of have a "network". There is an FM station that is part of Ad Astra per Aspera group of stations based in Hutch that also carries Shocker games. I believe it's considered a Great Bend/Lyons station. It may not be a huge deal but it's a start to getting more coverage toward the west.

Comment

All I wanna know is can we please buy Mike Kennedy a new digital recorder?
                      “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                      -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Perhaps the "Talk Angry" boys could get into the subject. Reference SN threads of fan dissatisfaction and make sure certain newspaper sport reporters and athletic department heads know to listen in.

Comment

Originally posted by kochHead View Post
                          All I wanna know is can we please buy Mike Kennedy a new digital recorder?
                          I've never really understood this, either. I have recordings on my LTE phone that sound better.. pretty sure he has an iPhone, that is how he checks Twitter for the pregame. Also on that front.. when twitter is down in the stadium --- it's because service is bad. Get the man a laptop with an eithernet plug in on press row for the pregame for gods sake. He shouldn't be handcuffed in the pregame because there are a lot of people in the gym. Or have an intern write down the questions and he can sit somewhere else and write them down.

Comment

This is only a temporary solution but until the technology can improve just have the radio program in the studio instead of the bar. I can live without the background laughing in exchange for being able to hear what the coach has to say.

And for goodness sake. Don't ask the coach about expanding the stadium just before the sweet 16 game. Good grief.

Comment

I've never really understood this, either. I have recordings on my LTE phone that sound better.. pretty sure he has an iPhone, that is how he checks Twitter for the pregame. Also on that front.. when twitter is down in the stadium --- it's because service is bad. Get the man a laptop with an eithernet plug in on press row for the pregame for gods sake. He shouldn't be handcuffed in the pregame because there are a lot of people in the gym. Or have an intern write down the questions and he can sit somewhere else and write them down.
                              Bingo. Why in the world should we lose an interview with HCGM because of a $50 recorder? I would understand if it happened one time, because well, **** happens. But for this to have happened multiple times is just stupid. Buy him an nice recorder and have someone use their smartphone as a backup. Also, the twitter thing you mentioned is just as easy to solve (you had a good solution).

I am not blaming MK for any of this. He does what he does very well, but he is getting older and we may need to help him out a little with some of this technical stuff.
                              Last edited by kochHead; March 24, 2015, 11:01 AM.
                              “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                              -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Working...
                              X