The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Coach View Post
    My guess is the Alabama visit today is a little leverage for a pay raise. No way Triple G takes that job unless he's not been honest about the money issue.
    It is almost always about the money. If it isn't about the money why would HCGM entertain Alabama as leverage for a pay raise???

Comment

• @FSKansasCity: #Shockers' Marshall should ask suitors one question: Can I win a national title with you? (via @SeanKeeler) ->> http://www.foxsports.com/kansas-city...ith-you-033015
      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Coach View Post
        Who's talking about the MVC? I'd be the first person to say the Shockers need a new conference.

But the SEC is a joke, basketball wise. Alabama is NOT a basketball blueblood and the conference only has one. Marshall gains little with a move to a terrible basketball conference except money - and he's said it's not about money.
        SEC is enticing not because it's a basketball power house but because it's a huge step up from MVC, and it's a P5 conference.

Edit: yeah he said it's not about money but if it's for near $4M a year, it gets much more difficult to turn down in my opinion.

Comment

• 3Gs has WSU absolutely rolling right now.

I truly believe he can start pulling 4* and 5* recuits regularly; like Coach Cal did at Memphis.

Next step, join a new conference.
          The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
            It is almost always about the money. If it isn't about the money why would HCGM entertain Alabama as leverage for a pay raise???
            Because even if it's not about the money, people like to receive raises.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
              As positive as I am feeling, I would feel a whole lot better if WSU called a press conference and announced they were giving Coach a pay raise and a contract extension.
              His contract is already a perpetual 7-year contract that automatically rolls over every year meaning he has a perpetual 6-year's of salary to be bought out. As I practical matter I don't see WSU coming up with $10 million to buy him out so effectively he already has a lifetime contract.

A nice pay raise. You bet. Maybe a nice little annuity he would earn if he stays for an agreed number of years. I think Gene Stephenson had that at one point and Jody Adams has that (although on a much smaller scale than what we probably would need for 3G).

I don't think job security is an issue many schools can trump Wichita State on. Money maybe. But I'm not at all sure that money will be the primary consideration for Coach Marshall.

Comment

• I still like the fact that Alabama came to Wichita and Coach didn't fly there to meet the big wigs. I think this means they're still wooing him; not dating just yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                  3Gs has WSU absolutely rolling right now.

I truly believe he can start pulling 4* and 5* recuits regularly; like Coach Cal did at Memphis.

Next step, join a new conference.
                  THIS. We keep thinking things like "he can recruit better at Texas" but we are entering some uncharted territory right now, and for all I know, WSU might start pulling higher recruits. If Marshall stays here, you never know who he can land with the track record he's building. Just wait till we land a class with a bunch of 4 and 5 stars. I really think we can win a title with HCGM. He isn't going anywhere until he believes he's hit a ceiling here...and he won't.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                    THIS. We keep thinking things like "he can recruit better at Texas" but we are entering some uncharted territory right now, and for all I know, WSU might start pulling higher recruits. If Marshall stays here, you never know who he can land with the track record he's building. Just wait till we land a class with a bunch of 4 and 5 stars. I really think we can win a title with HCGM. He isn't going anywhere until he believes he's hit a ceiling here...and he won't.
                    This, along with a lot of things that HCGM has said he values, are why I haven't been too worried about this.

The only reason I'd see him leaving is if he thinks he can't achieve his goals, here.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                      Because even if it's not about the money, people like to receive raises.
                      Umm okay... That makes it about the money. It's not about the money, I just don't like paying taxes...

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        His contract is already a perpetual 7-year contract that automatically rolls over every year meaning he has a perpetual 6-year's of salary to be bought out. As I practical matter I don't see WSU coming up with $10 million to buy him out so effectively he already has a lifetime contract.

A nice pay raise. You bet. Maybe a nice little annuity he would earn if he stays for an agreed number of years. I think Gene Stephenson had that at one point and Jody Adams has that (although on a much smaller scale than what we probably would need for 3G).

I don't think job security is an issue many schools can trump Wichita State on. Money maybe. But I'm not at all sure that money will be the primary consideration for Coach Marshall.
                        Yes Gene Stephenson got a 10 year annuity worth $1 million in 1990. It was given to him after he won the national championship in 1989 and Oklahoma wanted him badly.

Comment

In athletic admin circles, you make as many frie4nds as you can. You never say "no" to anybody without giving them a chance to tell you about themselves.

If Alabama's AD wants to come to town - like DJ said earlier, Marshall treats him to a round of golf and takes him out for steaks tonight while they talk about Alabama.

You are polite to everyone who wants to talk. You entertain AD's who want to talk to you. That's how you make friends, get games scheduled, find assistant coaches - maybe even get in on some recruits.

there's a lot more going on than just who will be the next coach at Alabama.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Umm okay... That makes it about the money. It's not about the money, I just don't like paying taxes...
                            Your "Umm okay" is very condescending for not understanding a pretty easy concept.

Let's say I work at Wal-Mart corporate. I make 75k a year. I have an offer at Target corporate for 90k. No matter what, I am going to stay at Wal-Mart because I prefer staying put and my current job at Wal-Mart. Despite that, I still let my boss know I am entertaining a 90k offer at Target to see if they will increase my salary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              In athletic admin circles, you make as many frie4nds as you can. You never say "no" to anybody without giving them a chance to tell you about themselves.

If Alabama's AD wants to come to town - like DJ said earlier, Marshall treats him to a round of golf and takes him out for steaks tonight while they talk about Alabama.

You are polite to everyone who wants to talk. You entertain AD's who want to talk to you. That's how you make friends, get games scheduled, find assistant coaches - maybe even get in on some recruits.

there's a lot more going on than just who will be the next coach at Alabama.
                              It's like player recruiting.

A player might know where he wants to go, but he'll let other schools wine-and-dine him and let their current players take him out for a good time.
                              The Assman

Comment

• I wasn't the one that said he was leveraging the visit for a pay raise. Someone said HCGM won't go to Alabama because it isn't about the money, and then said HCGM was leveraging this for a pay raise at WSU. Those two statements seem to be contradictory.

Comment

Working...
                                X