The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    I think WSU is closer to Gonzaga than it is VCU. We've held onto a good coach for 10 years with sustained success, developed a national brand name and garnered the resources to help ensure success for the long term. VCU will continue to be a revolving door of coaches. If and when Marshall leaves, Wichita will be a highly coveted job by all the best assistants and low/mid major coaches looking to get to the next step. Our job would be to find the guy that wants to build on what Marshall created and not just ride the wave.
    Now I'll go the other way. For me, there is a bigger gap between the Zags and WSU than there is between VCU and WSU. While we are comparable on being able to hold on to very successful coaches, that's about where it ends.

We do have 2 F4, one recent, and they have none...yet. We also have a longer history which can be consider a plus or a non-factor depending on relevancy.

Gonzaga has 19 NCAA appearances in a row with only 3 one and done. 8 S16s and 3 E8s. They are 27-18 during that time, we are 12-7 both good percentages. They also worked during the early years of this run to improve their non-con schedule and are now more successful in controlling that schedule than we are.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
      Now I'll go the other way. For me, there is a bigger gap between the Zags and WSU than there is between VCU and WSU. While we are comparable on being able to hold on to very successful coaches, that's about where it ends.

We do have 2 F4, one recent, and they have none...yet. We also have a longer history which can be consider a plus or a non-factor depending on relevancy.

Gonzaga has 19 NCAA appearances in a row with only 3 one and done. 8 S16s and 3 E8s. They are 27-18 during that time, we are 12-7 both good percentages. They also worked during the early years of this run to improve their non-con schedule and are now more successful in controlling that schedule than we are.
      If talking about actual # wins and tourney appearances, you are correct. If talking about program trajectory, WSU and VCU may both be trending up but not on the same plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I think Gonzaga is clearly ahead of us, but by the same token I would say we are way ahead of VCU. If you remove 2011 from VCU's resume what do you have? Creighton. Which consistently making the tournament is something to be proud of, ultimately the goal is to do something once you get there.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
          I think Gonzaga is clearly ahead of us, but by the same token I would say we are way ahead of VCU. If you remove 2011 from VCU's resume what do you have? Creighton. Which consistently making the tournament is something to be proud of, ultimately the goal is to do something once you get there.
          Yup. As I said, only 1 S16 in 16 NCAA dances.

Comment

• Clearly Gonzaga is the best program outside the P5/BE/AAC, and it's not even close.

I think the public perception is that WSU and VCU are on similar levels, with WSU being a step or two ahead. Since VCU's F4, they have not had the same level of consistent success as we have had. VCU doesn't have anything comparable to our undefeated season, #1 seed, sweet sixteen, number of conference championships, and number of tournament wins. VCU has had the advantage of moving to a better conference, but we may have just leapfrogged them in that aspect.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Wade leaving for LSU is a pretty crushing blow for VCU's image. They're viewed as a revolving door where the coach will jump for even mediocre opportunities elsewhere.

They are 90s Tulsa. A scrappy, solid program that probably will not continue to bat 1.000 on hires if they have to make them every two or three years.

Comment

• Originally posted by swiltar71 View Post
                If Shaka has another year like this one I would guess they'll be calling for his head.
                I don't know; I think if football does well, they'll be more tolerant of less than stellar basketball.

Comment

• Far be it below me to throw out rumor or here say but last night eating with friends one of those present said one of his buddies had sold some windows to the Marshall family because they were looking to build a house. If true and not for Kellen then I would say most people looking to move on aren't looking at building a home. I personaly don't attach any substance to this since Wichita is such a small place that if something like this were in the planning process a builder or architect would be involved and unless they took a blood oath of secrecy the story would already be out.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                    I don't know; I think if [Texas] football does well, they'll be more tolerant of less than stellar basketball.
                    If Tom Herman does well and recruits well, there should be enough football interest to overshadow basketball in Austin (for better or worse) clear through football signing day in early February.

Edit: I remember reading that the relative lack of interest, attendance, and enthusiasm used to drive Rick Barnes crazy -- one of the things that would no doubt make the burnt orange UT less appealing to Marshall. He doesn't want to have to rebuild a program, and who can blame him; but at Texas he'd also have to build (not rebuild, but build) fan support. Apparently he went down that path successfully at Winthrop, but that may be another reenactment 3G doesn't want to deal with.
                    Last edited by WSUwatcher; March 24, 2017, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                      I don't know; I think if football does well, they'll be more tolerant of less than stellar basketball.
                      Bingo. The better the football team, the less the people care about basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        Bingo. The better the football team, the less the people care about basketball.
                        That is true in most southern schools but not so much in northern regions of the country. Hell, until a few years ago, most Texans couldn't spell basketball if you spotted them four letters!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
                          That is true in most southern schools but not so much in northern regions of the country. Hell, until a few years ago, most Texans couldn't spell basketball if you spotted them four letters!
                          Since moving to Dallas last year I can tell you they still couldn't spell basketball. I was asking people at work who they picked in their bracket and you would of thought I was speaking a foreign language. It sucks! Lol

Hell half of them didn't know SMU was in it. Lol
                          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Dayton's Archie Miller is in serious talks to become new coach at Indiana, sources tell @TheVertical.

ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                              Dayton's Archie Miller is in serious talks to become new coach at Indiana, sources tell @TheVertical.

https://twitter.com/wojverticalnba/s...71052055334916
                              Just announced as their new coach.

Comment

• Sucks for Dayton. Maybe Crean could land there. Not likely, but they could do way worse.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X