The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
    *******'s a tool that likes to EAT his own words.
    FIFY

Comment

• Just because he said that he would always listen does not mean that he actually does.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        Just because he said that he would always listen does not mean that he actually does.
        You're developing a very strong resume for the annual Most Ironic Poster on SN award. Keep up the good work.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
          Just because he said that he would always listen does not mean that he actually does.
          I think Gregg listens to real offers from universities that aren't living in a fan's pipe dream. Memphis and Vandy are fan pipe dreams, with no evidence to point at that even says they tried to contact him, let alone confirm that they actually got on a phone with the one and only Gregg Marshall.

I think Gregg entertains all real offers, and about 340ish programs in the country understand that the check they'd have to write just to get into the conversation with him is absolutely unattainable. How many schools' fans boast about having the moolah to get Gregg to come to their school, then they don't even offer him? And that's just the initial offering, those programs have to add in perks and benefits that WSU provide to him that others may not, plus a culture that pairs with Marshall and his idea of what a basketball program should be for him. He's not going to be second fiddle to football, and he's already making more than most football coaches, and at many universities the hoops coach will not make more than the football coach. This is true for nearly every SEC school outside of Kentucky. There are so many factors with other schools that I think immediately remove them from getting Gregg without even having offered a dollar amount.

I haven't been worried about Gregg leaving since Alabama, and I really don't fear him leaving for anything other than a homerun hire that no one could be mad at. He's not leaving for money, but he's not leaving for less money imo. If he leaves, it's for a program that no one would be mad at, or scratch their head at. So when I see teams like Memphis and Vanderbilt's fans saying they're coming for Gregg, I just laugh and go get a whiskey and some popcorn and prepare to search on Twitter for "Greg Marshall" without the third G, because the fans are so dumb they can't even get his name right. I'll let you know when I'm truly worried, but I'm sure it would be a really obvious claim because it's some perennial blue blood with a retiring coach that doesn't have rebuild written all over it. The man turned down talks with UCLA while on his Final Four run.
          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
            I think Self's chances of winning another title at KU are probably 60-70%. Hard to say for sure. I could probably be convinced to go as low as 40% or as high as 80%.

What is your point?
            I don't have a point.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
              I think Gregg listens to real offers from universities that aren't living in a fan's pipe dream. Memphis and Vandy are fan pipe dreams, with no evidence to point at that even says they tried to contact him, let alone confirm that they actually got on a phone with the one and only Gregg Marshall.

I think Gregg entertains all real offers, and about 340ish programs in the country understand that the check they'd have to write just to get into the conversation with him is absolutely unattainable. How many schools' fans boast about having the moolah to get Gregg to come to their school, then they don't even offer him? And that's just the initial offering, those programs have to add in perks and benefits that WSU provide to him that others may not, plus a culture that pairs with Marshall and his idea of what a basketball program should be for him. He's not going to be second fiddle to football, and he's already making more than most football coaches, and at many universities the hoops coach will not make more than the football coach. This is true for nearly every SEC school outside of Kentucky. There are so many factors with other schools that I think immediately remove them from getting Gregg without even having offered a dollar amount.

I haven't been worried about Gregg leaving since Alabama, and I really don't fear him leaving for anything other than a homerun hire that no one could be mad at. He's not leaving for money, but he's not leaving for less money imo. If he leaves, it's for a program that no one would be mad at, or scratch their head at. So when I see teams like Memphis and Vanderbilt's fans saying they're coming for Gregg, I just laugh and go get a whiskey and some popcorn and prepare to search on Twitter for "Greg Marshall" without the third G, because the fans are so dumb they can't even get his name right. I'll let you know when I'm truly worried, but I'm sure it would be a really obvious claim because it's some perennial blue blood with a retiring coach that doesn't have rebuild written all over it. The man turned down talks with UCLA while on his Final Four run.
              Preach, agree with everything but I like my whisky with a little coke

Comment

Interesting opinion.

Comment

This. I've been saying this all spring. $4 mil OPENS the conversation. TEXAS wouldn't pay that much. He's here until UK/UNC/Duke opens up, he retires, or another University mortgages their campus to make an offer.

The Vandy fans were just funny.

Comment

• Kinda off topic. I've been following the Memphis hire of Tubby. Well the hot topic of this week is what to do with "Coach" Lawson who was only hired to get his 3 talented sons to come there. A lot of the fan base are ready to throw Tubby under the bus already if he doesn't keep this guy on. One of the kids threatened to go to the NBA as soon as there was any hint that his dad might get let go. Well Tubby announced today that he's keeping him, but in a support role only. This will require a waiver from the NCAA as parents can only be hired as an assistant coach (using one of the 3 spots) unless they worked there 2 years prior to the enrollment. It will be interesting to see if the NCAA allows it, which would be a bad move. It's indirectly paying the family for a recruit.

Anyone think 3G would even entertain the thought of having a parent on staff? Didn't think so

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                      I heard from a reliable source that it was this close...

A Memphis fan's interpretation:

In astronauticalgalaxial terms....

We almost had him!!
                      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                        I think Self's chances of winning another title at KU are probably 60-70%. Hard to say for sure. I could probably be convinced to go as low as 40% or as high as 80%.

What is your point?
                        What are their chances if they have to play a Valley team (any, doesn't matter) in the tournament?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                          Kinda off topic. I've been following the Memphis hire of Tubby. Well the hot topic of this week is what to do with "Coach" Lawson who was only hired to get his 3 talented sons to come there. A lot of the fan base are ready to throw Tubby under the bus already if he doesn't keep this guy on. One of the kids threatened to go to the NBA as soon as there was any hint that his dad might get let go. Well Tubby announced today that he's keeping him, but in a support role only. This will require a waiver from the NCAA as parents can only be hired as an assistant coach (using one of the 3 spots) unless they worked there 2 years prior to the enrollment. It will be interesting to see if the NCAA allows it, which would be a bad move. It's indirectly paying the family for a recruit.

Anyone think 3G would even entertain the thought of having a parent on staff? Didn't think so
                          Seems like a very calculated way to get rid of said parent. Tubby knows the NCAA will say "no", and it will be THEIR fault, not his, when it happens.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                            What are their chances if they have to play a Valley team (any, doesn't matter) in the tournament?
                            Lucky for KU, they don't have an MVC team in their way most years.

I'm still a bit lost as to the reason we are talking about KU at all. I was trying to discuss Gregg Marshall in a Gregg Marshall thread.

Comment

• Back to the question of how likely it is that HCGM returns to a F4 at WSU,

Final 4/National Championship teams typically have these 3 things in common (of course there are exceptions but without doing more research I'd guess this holds true roughly 75% of the time)

1. Top 20 kenpom Defense
                              2. All conference guard play (doesn't HAVE to be the PG but it helps)
                              3. an NBA player (bonus points for more)

over the past 5 years We've either had, or been very close to having all 3, and we pretty well have 1 and 2 on lock down (even before Ron and Fred we were putting out all MVC guards).
                              Programs that make lots of F4s and NCs have a constant flow of multiple NBAers. I'm not sure Gregg gets to that rate of recruiting (really only UK, UNC, Duke, and KU are doing that right now) but he is certainly headed that direction.

Comment

• Back in January I looked at previous national champions on KenPom. I used post-tourney numbers which is obviously wrong but I'm lazy and looking at pre-tourney numbers is a pain. Maybe if I get bored I'll look at pre-tourney numbers in depth.

Every national champion since 2002 had either a top #14 defense or the #1 offense, that seems like a dumb qualifier but I just used it to show that a really good offense can overcome an average defense. The worst offense to win a title was #39.

Wichita State's undefeated team met this criteria. The Sweet 16 team had the #16 ranked defense. This year our offense was atrocious.

Comment

Working...
                                X