Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
    Crazy.

As I am reading it, they are saying that Memphis will cover the difference between the GT contract and the Memphis contract for the four years remaining on the Memphis contract. GT contract is supposedly $1.5M/yr; Memphis contract is $2.6/yr; meaning $4.4M over four years, or $1.1M per annum. So you add $1.1M onto whatever number they would want to throw at 3G, and you'd have your total actual annual cost.
    WTF? Seriously? That's like a golden parachute for a college coach. Why the hell would Memphis agree to put that in his contract to begin with??
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
      WTF? Seriously? That's like a golden parachute for a college coach. Why the hell would Memphis agree to put that in his contract to begin with??
      I don't know. But it sounds like a mess come tax season.

Comment

It hurts recruiting. You can take that to the bank. No butthurt here, just objective reality.
        I see no evidence to support this.

The Calipari to the NBA rumors don't hurt Kentucky. The Roy is going to retire rumors don't seem to hurt UNC. Last year with the most credible threat to Marshall leaving (a real live offer he had to turn down with bama's AD in town) he pulled his best recruiting class yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
          I just don't get you guys who feel hurt about Marshall picking up a phone. What do you have to be hurt about? Marshall has done nothing to warrant this and it's just good business to keep the lines of communication open. If you go around being "butthurt" all the time, well you must have a really sore ass. Stop already until there is something to be hurt about -- then I'll join you.
          Then why is this always an issue? It isn't with SO many other programs. Every opening people throw his name out there. I just wonder if it has to do with him being so open to leaving. I fully admit that it is probably a childish view to take. But idk I just wonder about it. Venting out loud.

Comment

• there are five rules of college basketball....

1) get the right recruits that can run your system
            2) win win win
            3) take care of your assistants, as they do a lot of the heavy lifting
            4) keep the lines of communication open at all times
            5) let some poor sap wine and dine you until your fat and happy then make a decision.

how many of you have left your job in the last ten years? was it a better gig, something different, etc? don't judge. the person in charge of our program is perfectly capable of making his own decisions for what is best for him and his family.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
              Then why is this always an issue?
              Because he is BY FAR the BEST coach not currently at a blue blood school, not named Mark Few.

This isn't that hard, people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                Because he is BY FAR the BEST coach not currently at a blue blood school, not named Mark Few.

Bingo

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                  I believe the reasoning is that he is not so much quitting Memphis, but instead an equitable agreement developed between Pastner, the Memphis AD, and the GT AD. He wasn't going to quit a job with a contract worth $10.4M over four years, for one worth $6M over same. The Memphis AD helping him to find a landing spot saves them from firing him and owning him big (which reports said they weren't going to do), while at the same time getting new blood.

At least as I understand it.

Comment

The Valley blows - No question about it. It is an issue. And it may make Wichita State worse off than Memphis.

Key word... MAY. Sorry I don't think Memphis is a slam dunk better job than WSU. And if 3G or anyone else thinks that Memphis is way better, then go ahead and go. I want someone who sees Wichita State for what it is - A Gonzaga-like program in the Midwest. We have everything someone would want to be successful here.

This gets old. I am fed up with the constant talking and BS. I know it's the game, but damn.
                    If the perception was UNI was a bad loss, then Marshall has a lot to overcome every year then. 4-6 conference losses is dangerous territory to be in come tournament time.

But I agree that if he thinks it's better and the task here is too much, move on. The basketball program will survive.

Comment

I believe the reasoning is that he is not so much quitting Memphis, but instead an equitable agreement developed between Pastner, the Memphis AD, and the GT AD. He wasn't going to quit a job with a contract worth $10.4M over four years, for one worth $6M over same. The Memphis AD helping him to find a landing spot saves them from firing him and owning him big (which reports said they weren't going to do), while at the same time getting new blood.

Ahhhhhh. I see. That makes more sense. But still crazy.
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by WUpigsooie View Post
                        I see no evidence to support this.

The Calipari to the NBA rumors don't hurt Kentucky. The Roy is going to retire rumors don't seem to hurt UNC. Last year with the most credible threat to Marshall leaving (a real live offer he had to turn down with bama's AD in town) he pulled his best recruiting class yet.
                        We're not UK or UNC, and the WSU-Bama stuff last year was concluded before the signing period.

Guess we'll agree to disagree. There's no way to "prove" the theorem.

Comment

• Originally posted by InWuWeTrust View Post
                          there are five rules of college basketball....

1) get the right recruits that can run your system
                          2) win win win
                          3) take care of your assistants, as they do a lot of the heavy lifting
                          4) keep the lines of communication open at all times
                          5) let some poor sap wine and dine you until your fat and happy then make a decision.

how many of you have left your job in the last ten years? was it a better gig, something different, etc? don't judge. the person in charge of our program is perfectly capable of making his own decisions for what is best for him and his family.
                          He should leave if he wants to leave. I don't know if anyone would argue that. I would also argue that this situation, and coaching profession in general is NOTHING like our jobs. I really hate when people throw that out there -"Well haven't YOU ever left a job for another." Well, sure.

But I don't make a top 10 salary nationally for my position.
                          My job isn't effected AT ALL by me shopping for other jobs.
                          If people come after me, and I listen, it isn't national news that could put your current job in some kind of jeopardy.

There are consequences for shopping around in this profession. There are not for most.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

I think WSU is a better program with better resources, and fans, than MOST except ones not named Gonzaga.

Shouldn't be this hard, no.

Comment

There are consequences for shopping around in this profession. There are not for most.
                              Who said he's shopped around for all these positions? There is a difference between what Jeff ******* dreams about at night, and what is actually going on.

Comment

So how did that phone call go down? "Hey, GT, we've got a shitty coach here we're trying to get rid of. How about YOU take him off our hands? That would save us a TON of money! You're game, right?"

Comment

Working...
                                X