Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
    Had me scratching my head too.
    I found their logic. They are saying Pastner could tell Memphis if they don't supplement his contract at GT, he'll stay at Memphis.

How messed up is that?

What does it say when failure puts you in a position with better leverage?

Comment

Yeah, it gets old. Wonder how it feels for the guys who pooled their personal resources last year to create the killer new contract? If it was me, it would eat at me pretty good (blue blood openings notwithstanding). But Marshall apparently loves the flattery that comes with the incoming calls (even though he doesn't act on them), and we're otherwise enamored with him, so what do you do?
      You know I've seen this mentioned several times--wondering how the donors feel about the constant courting. They undoubtedly know the situation and HCGM's interest in any position way better than most of us, and HCGM is smart enough to not piss the bed he's sleeping in. It's the media that keeps throwing his name out there, not HCGM. Most credible sources, including Suellentrop from a recent tweet, have indicated there was no contact between Vandy and HCGM. I wouldn't worry about how the donors feel.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Yeah, it gets old. Wonder how it feels for the guys who pooled their personal resources last year to create the killer new contract? If it was me, it would eat at me pretty good (blue blood openings notwithstanding). But Marshall apparently loves the flattery that comes with the incoming calls (even though he doesn't act on them), and we're otherwise enamored with him, so what do you do?
        Marshall has always said he would listen to anyone--doesn't mean anything but that he will "listen". And who says anyone has called or that anyone has offered. Who doesn't like flattery -- I do and don't mind admitting it. You are putting the cart WAY before the horse here. Let's just wait and see if there is anything here before making any kind of comment on Marshall or his motives. In Marshall I trust and if he leaves -- well, so be it. Those businessmen who put together the package that got Marshall to stay are smart and savvy and know how to protect any kind of public (or private) contract they made.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          The thing to keep in mind, Exptress, is that the "constant talking" is actually just a few media guys who have nothing else to do, and people who read this board way more seriously than they should. It's a noisy little fishbowl, but there's a great big lake out there that's quiet and calm as can be.
          I have absolutely no proof for this. It could be 100% wrong. But part of me blames Marshall for this. I wonder if the way he deals with these openings keeps his name popping up in ALL of them. You don't see this with other programs that are, IMO, comparable to ours. Maybe that's just me being butthurt.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            I found their logic. They are saying Pastner could tell Memphis if they don't supplement his contract at GT, he'll stay at Memphis.

How messed up is that?

What does it say when failure puts you in a position with better leverage?
            Crazy.

As I am reading it, they are saying that Memphis will cover the difference between the GT contract and the Memphis contract for the four years remaining on the Memphis contract. GT contract is supposedly $1.5M/yr; Memphis contract is $2.6/yr; meaning $4.4M over four years, or $1.1M per annum. So you add $1.1M onto whatever number they would want to throw at 3G, and you'd have your total actual annual cost.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
              I have absolutely no proof for this. It could be 100% wrong. But part of me blames Marshall for this. I wonder if the way he deals with these openings keeps his name popping up in ALL of them. You don't see this with other programs that are, IMO, comparable to ours. Maybe that's just me being butthurt.
              There is probably ONE other program comparable to ours right now, and that coach (Few) has stated he isn't interested in going anywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                You know I've seen this mentioned several times--wondering how the donors feel about the constant courting. They undoubtedly know the situation and HCGM's interest in any position way better than most of us, and HCGM is smart enough to not piss the bed he's sleeping in. It's the media that keeps throwing his name out there, not HCGM. Most credible sources, including Suellentrop from a recent tweet, have indicated there was no contact between Vandy and HCGM. I wouldn't worry about how the donors feel.
                Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                Marshall has always said he would listen to anyone--doesn't mean anything but that he will "listen". And who says anyone has called or that anyone has offered. Who doesn't like flattery -- I do and don't mind admitting it. You are putting the cart WAY before the horse here. Let's just wait and see if there is anything here before making any kind of comment on Marshall or his motives. In Marshall I trust and if he leaves -- well, so be it. Those businessmen who put together the package that got Marshall to stay are smart and savvy and know how to protect any kind of public (or private) contract they made.
                You guys are over-reading my thrust and emotions in that post.

Some things are really difficult to convey on SN, no matter how many caveats or exclusions you put in the comment.

Comment

I just don't get you guys who feel hurt about Marshall picking up a phone. What do you have to be hurt about? Marshall has done nothing to warrant this and it's just good business to keep the lines of communication open. If you go around being "butthurt" all the time, well you must have a really sore ass. Stop already until there is something to be hurt about -- then I'll join you.

Comment

I think Marshall has a large ego, as most powerful people do. Starting from there, people with powerful egos like to have them massaged and when someone from out-of-town with the right numbers and opportunity starts to speak, it's hard for him not to listen.

I have also noted instances where I think his ego has overridden his logic. This is not a moral failing, but if he doesn't get it figured out, it might be a self-limiting habit. It won't cost us NCAA trips or national buzz, but it might limit the team's potential at times.

Having said that, I do not think I could do as good a job as HC as he does, even if I knew everything that he did.

Comment

Do you follow every other team like you follow WSU?

You might have some bias...
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

This is likely a popular sentiment, but let's look at it another way. By allowing his name to come up for jobs every year, he keeps himself and by extension WSU in the news well after games are being played. And every time he is mentioned for any job it reinforces to everyone that he is a top dog, and WSU currently enjoys his services. The anual August "why Gregg stayed" article can't hurt the WSU brand.

Comment

I think you may be butthurt. You can't blame Marshall for this. Other programs don't have a coach that is of his caliber, that's the difference.
                          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by WUpigsooie View Post
                            This is likely a popular sentiment, but let's look at it another way. By allowing his name to come up for jobs every year, he keeps himself and by extension WSU in the news well after games are being played. And every time he is mentioned for any job it reinforces to everyone that he is a top dog, and WSU currently enjoys his services. The anual August "why Gregg stayed" article can't hurt the WSU brand.
                            It hurts recruiting. You can take that to the bank. No butthurt here, just objective reality.

Comment

• I think we could make a good case that Wichita State is as good or better of a program than Memphis right now.

What would remove all doubt is to upgrade conferences and expand the seating at Koch or move to Intrust Arena.
                              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                              -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                                I thought they meant Daytons coach
                                WSU is not Midwest in the vernacular of people in the east part of the US. Midwest is Big 10 footprint.
                                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                                X