No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Forbes' name has been mentioned several times on their message board. That would be a very good under-the-radar hire.

Comment

• I can see where Memphis would be intriguing.

Will be interesting to see what Memphis does.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Memphis fans are reporting that (somehow) the school will still be on the hook for a good bit of Pastner's contract. Something on the order of $6M.

Even in the wild hypothetical that Marshall were to mull over an offer (which I don't see happening anyway), there's almost no way Memphis - a school very similar to WSU in athletics funding - has the financial ability to put together an offer considerably better than the one he already has, if even that. In the past we've been the middle weight fending off the punches of the heavy weight, but in this particular case the opponent is in the same weight class as ourselves.

Comment

• Pastner to Ga. Tech is probably another 'win-win-win' scenario. Pastner gets out of Memphis before he is fired. Memphis gets rid of Pastner without having to buyout. Georgia Tech gets probably about the best known commodity they can attract. Interesting that has happened a couple times this year.

And I have no idea if Marshall wants to go to Memphis or not, but every media member in the sport has thrown out Marshall as the 'perfect fit' and 'top choice' for pretty much every Top 100 job the last 4 years. So. You know. Somewhere there is a giant pile of poo sitting at the base of a wall.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
            Memphis fans are reporting that (somehow) the school will still be on the hook for a good bit of Pastner's contract. Something on the order of $6M.

Even in the wild hypothetical that Marshall were to mull over an offer (which I don't see happening anyway), there's almost no way Memphis - a school very similar to WSU in athletics funding - has the financial ability to put together an offer considerably better than the one he already has, if even that. In the past we've been the middle weight fending off the punches of the heavy weight, but in this particular case the opponent is in the same weight class as ourselves.
            I noticed that, too. Are they just that ignorant about how contract buyout's work when a coach is hired away, or did Pastner's agent really negotiate a deal that should get an AD fired?

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              I noticed that, too. Are they just that ignorant about how contract buyout's work when a coach is hired away, or did Pastner's agent really negotiate a deal that should get an AD fired?
              Had me scratching my head too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                Pastner to Ga. Tech is probably another 'win-win-win' scenario. Pastner gets out of Memphis before he is fired. Memphis gets rid of Pastner without having to buyout. Georgia Tech gets probably about the best known commodity they can attract. Interesting that has happened a couple times this year.

And I have no idea if Marshall wants to go to Memphis or not, but every media member in the sport has thrown out Marshall as the 'perfect fit' and 'top choice' for pretty much every Top 100 job the last 4 years. So. You know. Somewhere there is a giant pile of poo sitting at the base of a wall.
                And the various fan base discussions sound literally identical:

"We have the money, if needed."

'Blah, blah... Brinks truck... blah, blah..."

"Make him say no."

"He's never turned down a job this good."

"Who wouldn't want to move out of Wichita."

Et cetera.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
                  Jeff *******:I am sorry Wichita State fans ... But Memphis is a better job.
                  11:04pm - 7 Apr 16

Jeff seems to be smoking some strong crack over there at espn studios.
                  I am sorry Jeff ******* ... But Gregg and Lynn Marshall will be the judge of that.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Part of me wishes the situation was more like Few at Gonzaga where people know not to even ask anymore. But another part of me likes to watch all these other schools take a big ol swing and miss. It's oddly satisfying.

Comment

• Originally posted by WUpigsooie View Post
                      Ok I'm not crazy right? Memphis would be a mostly lateral move right? And a program that would need major rebuilding?
                      I'd say yes, you are crazy. Anyone that thinks Memphis is not a step down from WSU right now has got to be crazy. :)
                      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                        "Who wouldn't want to move out of Wichita."
                        Et cetera.
                        One of the things I've learned over the past few years is that a LOT more folks have spent time living in Wichita than I was aware. I would've thought the housing turnover would be a lot higher with all of them bailing as quickly as possible though.

Comment

• Memphis is a better job than Vandy. At best, it's a lateral move from Wichita State. Outside of UConn's miracle run in the American tournament, the conference had 1 more NCAA bid this year than the Valley.

I just don't see Marshall building this thing up here, spurring the likes of UCLA, NC State, Alabama, etc for a job to freaking Memphis. He's 53. That program is in total rebuild mode.

This is a non-issue, no matter what RadioFace, Jason King, or any "in the know" media member says.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WUpigsooie View Post
                            Part of me wishes the situation was more like Few at Gonzaga where people know not to even ask anymore.
                            Yeah, it gets old. Wonder how it feels for the guys who pooled their personal resources last year to create the killer new contract? If it was me, it would eat at me pretty good (blue blood openings notwithstanding). But Marshall apparently loves the flattery that comes with the incoming calls (even though he doesn't act on them), and we're otherwise enamored with him, so what do you do?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
                              The Valley blows - No question about it. It is an issue. And it may make Wichita State worse off than Memphis.

Key word... MAY. Sorry I don't think Memphis is a slam dunk better job than WSU. And if 3G or anyone else thinks that Memphis is way better, then go ahead and go. I want someone who sees Wichita State for what it is - A Gonzaga-like program in the Midwest. We have everything someone would want to be successful here.

This gets old. I am fed up with the constant talking and BS. I know it's the game, but damn.
                              The thing to keep in mind, Exptress, is that the "constant talking" is actually just a few media guys who have nothing else to do, and people who read this board way more seriously than they should. It's a noisy little fishbowl, but there's a great big lake out there that's quiet and calm as can be.

There's an amazing amount of circle jerking, so to speak, that takes place on SN in threads like this one.
                              Last edited by WSUwatcher; April 8, 2016, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta town View Post
                                Isn't Memphi in Austin Reaves backyard, I see this going all sorts of crappy ways
                                You need to get your prescription refilled, Ta.

Comment

Working...
                                X