No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a hire I would make. The pro game and college are two totally different animals, but we will see.
    β€œLet your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
    -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

• Might well depend on who he has in mind for assistants. He certainly has no track record recruiting. We'll wait and see.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by kochHead View Post
        Not a hire I would make. The pro game and college are two totally different animals, but we will see.
        Yea it is going to be very interesting to see how he adjusts to the college game. I would like to see Bama continue to schedule top level opponents such as yourselves because it is the only way to become a better team/program imo. The largest difference between AJ and Grant, so far, is the personality. Coach Grant did not seem to really sell the program and put himself out there in terms of dialogue with the fan base as well as recruiting. I think that is one of the main reasons we are excited about this hire.

Comment

• This is probably a boom or bust hire. He might fail dramatically or he might be very successful. I don't think that he is likely to be just OK.
          The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

• Originally posted by Crimson View Post
            Yea it is going to be very interesting to see how he adjusts to the college game. I would like to see Bama continue to schedule top level opponents such as yourselves because it is the only way to become a better team/program imo. The largest difference between AJ and Grant, so far, is the personality. Coach Grant did not seem to really sell the program and put himself out there in terms of dialogue with the fan base as well as recruiting. I think that is one of the main reasons we are excited about this hire.
            I can see why you would like the hire then. Grant always looked like he really couldn't care less. That might not have been the case, but that was the perception. Having a high energy engaging figure at HC will at the very least provide a much needed change of pace. Best of luck.
            β€œLet your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
            -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

• Originally posted by Crimson View Post
              I can actually see the thinking behind this. If Alabama ponies up for some high-level assistants to do the heavy lifting for him, I could see how this could be very good for Alabama's program. He's definitely the kind of engaging big name talent that could be used to drum up immediate enthusiasm about the team from the fanbase.

The problem I have is that he clearly flamed out in the NBA, and no one was fighting to give him another chance, so his actual X's & O's ability doesn't appear to be the highest. He also has no experience at the college level, either coaching kids of this age or recruiting them. He does have the name brand that would work well in recruiting, but it's still going to be very new to him.

Get some great assistants around him. I hear there's one available out of Bowling Green.
              Originally posted by BleacherReport
              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by kochHead View Post
                Not a hire I would make. The pro game and college are two totally different animals, but we will see.
                Thing about Johnson, though, is his great personality. I've watched him speak a lot on TV and he seems very engaging and genuine.

That should help tremendously in recruiting, which is most of the trick in college. Having NBA experience could also help get guys with their eye on the league. He has advice to give.
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Coach View Post
                  Lots of contract t's to cross and i's to dot.

I don't think anyone will ever, ever talk about the real money part of this deal, though.

I would say, however, that this looks for all the world like a community support commitment unprecedented in college sports.

Ever.

To the extent that it will elevate the Wichita State profile into ad hoc P5 status. People around the country who know all the details of this deal are going to view it as a game-changer.

So has the "game-changer" news been made public? All I've heard about is the big bucks.

Comment

• Would 3G still be the head men's basketball coach at Wichita State if we were still operating in the pre-UPJB environment? I guess we will never know but 3G clearly is a very valuable asset in making Dr. Bardo's vision for Wichita State a reality. This makes 3G a much more valuable resource to WSU then he otherwise might be. The fact that the movers and shakers in the Wichita community got behind this effort to keep 3G in a big way tells me they are convinced Dr. Bardo's vision is very worthwhile pursuing.

Comment

• Not sure if this has been posted yet, but wow!!!

Gregg Marshall's reported $3.3 million salary represents a gigantic sum of money for a Missouri Valley Conference school. What would his equivalent salary be in a Power Five conference?

Comment

• Originally posted by GoShox View Post
                        Not sure if this has been posted yet, but wow!!!

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-...-other-schools
                        To equate a coaches pay to a percentage the athletic depts budget, the way this author does, is a failure in logic. HCGMs performance is at the highest level, and he is therefore paid a sum similar to his peers that perform at that same level.

Should an engineer be expected to make considerably less than equally performing peers just because he/she works for a company with a smaller budget?
                        That rug really tied the room together.

Comment

• Not only that, but there is a mixing of p5 gootball into the budgets to skew everything

Comment

• Originally posted by rZ View Post
                            To equate a coaches pay to a percentage the athletic depts budget, the way this author does, is a failure in logic. HCGMs performance is at the highest level, and he is therefore paid a sum similar to his peers that perform at that same level.

Should an engineer be expected to make considerably less than equally performing peers just because he/she works for a company with a smaller budget?
                            It really is an asinine article. Like always, journalists and math/numbers are like oil and water.

The author makes it sound as if WSU is paying 3G at the expense of everything else in the AD, when that is not the case. All of our programs are well-funded, and after Marshall's new contract is taken into consideration our MBB budget will fall in the 45-55 range out of 349. That's not bad at all, and is in the mix with a lot of other solid programs. Next year our MBB budget will rank approximately 5th in the NBE, 4th-5th in the AAC, and 1st-2nd in the MWC.

(Figures taken from bbstate.com, who themselves harvests stats from the Equity in Athletics site ran by the DoE.)
                            Last edited by SHOCKvalue; April 9, 2015, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                              It really is an asinine article. Like always, journalists and math/numbers are like oil and water.

The author makes it sound as if WSU is paying 3G at the expense of everything else in the AD, when that is not the case. All of our programs are well-funded, and after Marshall's new contract is taken into consideration our MBB budget will fall in the 45-55 range out of 349. That's not bad at all, and is in the mix with a lot of other solid programs. Next year our MBB budget will rank approximately 5th in the NBE, 4th-5th in the AAC, and 1st-2nd in the MWC.

(Figures taken from bbstate.com, who themselves harvests stats from the Equity in Athletics site ran by the DoE.)
                              It's also absurd to compare WSU's budget numbers to schools with football included in their budget.

That's a tremendous amount of revenue -- and expenses -- that WSU's budget doesn't include.
                              Originally posted by BleacherReport
                              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by KUhater View Post
                                So has the "game-changer" news been made public? All I've heard about is the big bucks.

The Coach said:

Lots of contract t's to cross and i's to dot.

I don't think anyone will ever, ever talk about the real money part of this deal, though.

I would say, however, that this looks for all the world like a community support commitment unprecedented in college sports.

Ever.

To the extent that it will elevate the Wichita State profile into ad hoc P5 status. People around the country who know all the details of this deal are going to view it as a game-changer.

Did I just miss it? What is the "game-changer" stuff? I'm really curious.

Comment

Working...
                                X