No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He would not have considered the Alabama without the huge pay increase. He would not have stayed without the huge pay increase. It's the money. It always is.

Comment

• Originally posted by WillieJeffJeffries View Post
      I think its about time to close this thread down. It's starting to remind me of the scene from movie "Major League" when the Yankee hit the bomb off Wild Thing...to paraphrase the fans..."It's too high not going out, it's going to be caught"....It's gone. "No way it went out it was too high...too high" .....Fan #2..."who gives a sh!t it's gone" That's how I feel about HCGM, who gives a sh!t how he stayed here the fact is he is here and probably tell he retires or is fired.... lol, but the story is Over
      I'm sorry we are forcing you to keep coming back to this thread

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
        I think the phrase "It was all about the money" paints, perhaps, the wrong picture. At least wrong connotation to me.

It implies that Gregg was seeking an increase. I don't believe that was the case. It implies that Gregg was using another opportunity to leverage WSU. I don't believe that was the case. It implies that even if he thought WSU was a better fit/job than any other, he would accept another offer any just because of more dollars. I don't believe that was the case. Reply With Quote

Of course, we'll never know. What we do know [at least strongly believe] is that Gregg neither sought out, applied for nor requested an interview with any other AD. I believe he was perfectly content at WSU wth the situation and the dollars. Afterall, last year he signed a contract addendum that included a provision that he would not request a re-negotiation for, what was it, I think three years. That certainly gives the impression that he was not looking for greener pastures. It also gives me the impression that he believed that a successful season (Sweet 16) would require salary adjustment. If one thought he believed that, then by signing that agreement last year would imply that he didn't believe WSU could get that far or have that successful of a season. I don't believe that was the case.

What it boiled down to was a crazy, stupid offer to raise his income by 127%. That's 2.35M per year. That is an amount of money that demands consideration. I don't believe (I could be wrong again) Gregg ever asked WSU to re-negotiate. I believe Bardo, Sexton and the wonderful donors did that all on their own. When they did, the gap in dollars closed to $900,000 (still a 49% increase) and Gregg quickly stated he would investigate no further. In my mind, that strongly suggests that it was indeed, NOT about the money.

IMHO, had Gregg done more due diligence in Tuscaloosa and visited with current and former basketball and football coaches about the demands of donors and the pressure to satisfy them and still win at all costs, I'm not too certain he'd believe it was a good fit for him. Something that 2.35M per year could overcome, perhaps. It's difficult for me to think in those numbers.
        No, it wasn't all about the money and 3G through his attorney/agent does thoroughly vet these job opportunities. No 3G did not seek out this job and hasn't sought out any job that I am aware of in his time at WSU. OTOH hand 3G is smart enough to know that if you perform as he has these opportunities are going to present themselves and he has never said he would not listen and consider any offers. In fact, as we all know, that has pretty much become an annual ritual (thus the title of this thread).

There is no question that Alabama had 3G's attention and he even told Jim Rome that if he had made the trip to Tuscaloosa there is a good chance he would be Alabama's coach today. What prevented that was WSU coming up with a "crazy' offer of their own, beyond what the great majority thought we could ever come up with, to prevent that. Is it all about money. No, otherwise 3G would have been long gone. However, money is a very important factor especially for a guy who is looking to retire at around 62. It is important for 3G to feel like he has secured his family's financial well being. That is all part of the happiness equation.

So while it was not all about money, the final factor in his decision may well have come down to money.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 4, 2015, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• Certainly the scope of the offer from Alabama opened the conversation but I think one core reason behind Marshall even being willing to entertain the discussion is conference affiliation. Road trips to Kentucky/Florida/Louisiana are flashier than trips to Evansville/Cedar Falls/Springfield, and obviously the relative competition. I think this would have been a completely different discussion if we were in a stronger conference. Obviously he would have appreciated a pay increase - and I think that would have been important in retaining him - I don't think the offer would have had to be so strong if we were in a different conference that had more NCAA tourney revenue to share, a more lucrative TV package and sexier competition. In a way, it is what other coaches try to sell recruits on when they are talking down WSU... why go to WSU and the MVC where you won't have as many national TV games and you'll be doing road trips to Drake. Same strategy worked for Alabama (I would guess) to get 3G to consider the move.

I'm preaching to the choir here but I think getting into another conference will really repel most other offers now that the money is top ten.

Comment

• An interesting theory on salukination that the Koch brothers made a call down to Texas and used political influence (where they spend way more money) to sway the AD from seriously considering Marshall.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
              An interesting theory on salukination that the Koch brothers made a call down to Texas and used political influence (where they spend way more money) to sway the AD from seriously considering Marshall.
              House of Cards - Wichita
              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

An interesting theory on salukination that the Koch brothers made a call down to Texas and used political influence (where they spend way more money) to sway the AD from seriously considering Marshall.
                I doubt it. But that would be troubling to me if true. That's the kind of thing that would lose you a coach if he really wanted that job.

Comment

Considering the state of their program at the moment, what else do they have to do with their time but theorize. Instead of coming up with stupid ideas on how we kept our coach their energy would be better spent on coming up with ideas on how to keep their program.

Comment

It's an intriguing theory but still requires a literal or de facto expenditure of cash. It is either being spent in Wichita or Austin but would still be cash out of the coffers regardless. I see this as the biggest weakness to their "House of Cards" (thanks @kai:) theory.

Go Shocks!
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                      It's an intriguing theory but still requires a literal or de facto expenditure of cash. It is either being spent in Wichita or Austin but would still be cash out of the coffers regardless. I see this as the biggest weakness to their "House of Cards" (thanks @kai:) theory.

Go Shocks!
                      Another fatal flaw is the idea that a business man who probably has a lot of life experience and a lot to lose would ever do something like that. Koch is a quasi political figure that many people would love to tear down. I doubt he lives his life on the edge.

Comment

• Originally posted by WillieJeffJeffries View Post
                        I think its about time to close this thread down. It's starting to remind me of the scene from movie "Major League" when the Yankee hit the bomb off Wild Thing...to paraphrase the fans..."It's too high not going out, it's going to be caught"....It's gone. "No way it went out it was too high...too high" .....Fan #2..."who gives a sh!t it's gone" That's how I feel about HCGM, who gives a sh!t how he stayed here the fact is he is here and probably tell he retires or is fired.... lol, but the story is Over
                        Well nobody's forcing you to click on a thread and read it.

I don't know what else you're gonna post about though seeing how this is the topic you've contributed to the most (and badly I might add).
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Carries no more water than my joke that Alabama was getting money from The Williams Fund. Death Valley dry.
                          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• How about a tee shirt

ROLL MARSHALL
                            Back to CKA
                            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                              I think the phrase "It was all about the money" paints, perhaps, the wrong picture. At least wrong connotation to me.

It implies that Gregg was seeking an increase. I don't believe that was the case. It implies that Gregg was using another opportunity to leverage WSU. I don't believe that was the case. It implies that even if he thought WSU was a better fit/job than any other, he would accept another offer any just because of more dollars. I don't believe that was the case.

Of course, we'll never know. What we do know [at least strongly believe] is that Gregg neither sought out, applied for nor requested an interview with any other AD. I believe he was perfectly content at WSU wth the situation and the dollars. Afterall, last year he signed a contract addendum that included a provision that he would not request a re-negotiation for, what was it, I think three years. That certainly gives the impression that he was not looking for greener pastures. It also gives me the impression that he believed that a successful season (Sweet 16) would require salary adjustment. If one thought he believed that, then by signing that agreement last year would imply that he didn't believe WSU could get that far or have that successful of a season. I don't believe that was the case.

What it boiled down to was a crazy, stupid offer to raise his income by 127%. That's 2.35M per year. That is an amount of money that demands consideration. I don't believe (I could be wrong again) Gregg ever asked WSU to re-negotiate. I believe Bardo, Sexton and the wonderful donors did that all on their own. When they did, the gap in dollars closed to $900,000 (still a 49% increase) and Gregg quickly stated he would investigate no further. In my mind, that strongly suggests that it was indeed, NOT about the money.

IMHO, had Gregg done more due diligence in Tuscaloosa and visited with current and former basketball and football coaches about the demands of donors and the pressure to satisfy them and still win at all costs, I'm not too certain he'd believe it was a good fit for him. Something that 2.35M per year could overcome, perhaps. It's difficult for me to think in those numbers.
                              It's correct that Gregg wasn't "seeking" more money from WSU or even using Alabama as leverage. In the end, Alabama had his attention, in part, because of the ridiculous money being offered. Gregg was asked "what would it take to keep you here" and the community answered. Gregg was in fact astounded and flattered that Wichita answered the way they did. And here we are.
                              "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

• Originally posted by jpshocker View Post
                                It's correct that Gregg wasn't "seeking" more money from WSU or even using Alabama as leverage. In the end, Alabama had his attention, in part, because of the ridiculous money being offered. Gregg was asked "what would it take to keep you here" and the community answered. Gregg was in fact astounded and flattered that Wichita answered the way they did. And here we are.
                                That is the first I've seen that he was asked.
                                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                                X