Retire Tekele's Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Cotton?

When I think about retiring a jersey, I recognize that the bar should be extraordinarily high. There's a four prong test in my mind (feel free to disagree on any of my opinions below):

1) Did the player excel in at least one aspect of the game, where he performed on par with the very best in the nation. (Obviously easier to prove for offensive players, because of the plethora of stats available.)

- There is NO DOUBT that Tekele is one of (perhaps even THE) best stoppers in the country.

- Lefty Driesell Defensive All-America Team and finalist for its National Defensive Player of the Year award

- 2x MVC Defensive POY

2) Did the player's performance result in helping WSU reach a tremendous acheivement on the national level?

- 1 Final Four. Case closed.

But ...

- 1 Elite Eight (and counting?)

- 2 Sweet 16s

- 4 x NCAA tournament participant

3) Did the player publicly represent WSU in an honorable light both on and off the field?

- Check.

4) Did the player bring tremendous amount of positive national publicity to the WSU program?

- 2 x Sports Illustrated covers
    - ? x Sports Center Top 10 darling
    - 350,000 Youtube hits for THE dunk

I just don't see how he doesn't fit the mold for retiring a jersey.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      I just don't see how he doesn't fit the mold for retiring a jersey.
      I agree. But apparently the powers that be have determined some apparently rigid requirements (i.e. achievement of All-America status) that pretty much trump all of the great accomplishments and contributions by Tekele.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        I agree. But apparently the powers that be have determined some apparently rigid requirements (i.e. achievement of All-America status) that pretty much trump all of the great accomplishments and contributions by Tekele.
        With his Lefty Driesell Defensive All-America Team acheivement not counting? AP only?

Comment

With his Lefty Driesell Defensive All-America Team acheivement not counting? AP only?
          I don't exactly know what All-American honors count but I doubt that specialty awards are considered. I know it isn't AP only thought because Cliff Levingston was selected to the Basketball Times 3rd Team All America.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 23, 2015, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I don't exactly know what All-American honors count but I doubt that specialty awards are considered.
            Maybe you and I need to go ahead and run for the committee that makes the rules?

Comment

I doubt that Tekele's number/jersey will be retired but he will be in the Shocker Hall of Fame for sure. In lieu of hanging Tekele's jersey in the rafters maybe we could have a section where we could hang replica jersey's of Tekele's high profile victims such as Wayne Selden.
              There isn't enough room to do that.
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                There isn't enough room to do that.
                Perhaps we should hang those from the ceiling of the concourse.

Comment

Perhaps we should hang those from the ceiling of the concourse.
                  Cotton is my favorite player, but he doesn't belong in the rafters. I do believe the Shocker Hall of Fame is appropriate however.

Comment

How about do like Dallas does and just put the guys name in a "ring of honor around the round house?

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                      How about do like Dallas does and just put the guys name in a "ring of honor around the round house?
                      Just below the sky boxes.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                        Cotton is my favorite player, but he doesn't belong in the rafters. I do believe the Shocker Hall of Fame is appropriate however.
                        No question Tekele will be a Shocker Hall of Fame member down the road. Of course, what I was referring to was the tongue-in-cheek suggestion I made that we should hang replica jersey's of all of Tekele's high profile victims such as Wayne Selden, etc.

Comment

No question Tekele will be a Shocker Hall of Fame member down the road. Of course, what I was referring to was the tongue-in-cheek suggestion I made that we should hang replica jersey's of all of Tekele's high profile victims such as Wayne Selden, etc.
                          We're going to have to add on to CKA...aren't we?

Comment

What's he missing?

Comment

What's he missing?
                              There is nothing he is missing. Just not rafter worthy. If we start anointing Cotton worthy, where will we stop. Brown is an early candidate. We know FVV and Baker will be up there. Even money on Early. We can't put everyone we are emotionally attached to in rarified air at the top of the arena. I love, love, love me some Cotton, but not in the rafters.

Comment

There is nothing he is missing. Just not rafter worthy.
                                This is a contradiction. If he is not rafter worthy, what is he missing?

Comment

Working...
                                X