No announcement yet.

Retire Tekele's Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may be a dumb question, but who selects which players get jerseys get hung in the rafters? We keep saying "these are the requirements" but who sets them and decides who gets put up there?

Comment

From the looks of the recruiting classes being asssembled, we may well fill the rafters with retired numbers sooner rather than later.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I love Cottons game and mentality, but what really got me was during the UNI senior day game, they asked Tekele what's the one thing he couldn't live without and he said his drawing notebook! I love it, I had no idea that he could draw. I've played sports through highschool but loved the arts (I now teach digital arts). It's great to see a player that can be creative and have a competitive mentality. He breaks through stereotypes.
        I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
        If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Ron Baker still needs to receive post-season All America accolades.

According to the Basketball Fact Book (page 72) the 3 players coming into this season who have received AA accolades but who have not had their numbers retired are:

Paul Miller (2006) - Honorable Mention - Associated Press

Cleanthony Early (2014):
          2nd Team - Consensus, NABC, USBWA
          3rd Team - Associated Press

Fred Van Vleet (2014):
          3rd Team - NABC, Sporting News

I am not sure why Ross McBurney is not listed as a Shocker All-American.

Of the 5 guys currently in the rafters only Cleo and Dave were All Americans in two different years. Fred will likely be the next to match that. The only honor listed for Cliff was Honorable Mention by the Associated Press. However, I know he received 3rd Team AA honors by Basketball Times. Whether that indicates that organization is too obscure to count I don't know.

Although I think @KungWu makes a compelling case for Tekele I thing I agree with @SHOXMVC that there needs to be some way of separating the truly elite from the very good. At this point that appears to be AA status. Is Honorable Mention good enough. I don't know for sure but maybe. Cliff's listing makes it hard to know.

If we did bestow that honor on Tekele then we probably have about 8 to 10 other members of the Shocker Hall of Fame including Kelly Pete, Jamie Thompson, Warren Armstrong, Cheese Johnson, Aubrey Sherrod, Ernie Moore, Jason Perez and maybe Greg Carney and Terry Benton. Personally, I think that would dilute the honor to the point of losing it's true value.

The question of whether Honorable Mention AA accolades are good enough to have your number retired is also important in considering this honor for another Shocker senior, that being Alex Harden. I doubt Alex will make the top 3 women's AA teams but she could and should at least be an Honorable Mention selection. If Honorable Mention is good enough then Alex probably should have her number selected. Honorable Mention puts you roughly in the top 50 players in the country.

Cleo Littleton was also NABC third team AA and four time All-MVC first team as well as a two time AA HM and the first African-American player in the MVC.

Baker received 2nd team AA honors this year from USA Today.

Per the article, http://ksn.com/2015/03/11/ron-baker-earns-first-all-american-honor/ , Ron is the 9th AA for WSU:

1927 – Ross McBurney
          1954, 55 – Cleo Littleton
          1963, 64, 65 – Dave Stallworth
          1982 – Cliff Levingston
          1982, 83 – Antoine Carr
          1984, 85 – Xavier McDaniel
          2014 – Cleanthony Early
          2014 – Fred VanVleet
          2015 – Ron Baker
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
            Cleo Littleton was also NABC third team AA and four time All-MVC first team as well as a two time AA HM and the first African-American player in the MVC.

Baker received 2nd team AA honors this year from USA Today.

Per the article, http://ksn.com/2015/03/11/ron-baker-...merican-honor/ , Ron is the 9th AA for WSU:

1927 – Ross McBurney
            1954, 55 – Cleo Littleton
            1963, 64, 65 – Dave Stallworth
            1982 – Cliff Levingston
            1982, 83 – Antoine Carr
            1984, 85 – Xavier McDaniel
            2014 – Cleanthony Early
            2014 – Fred VanVleet
            2015 – Ron Baker
            Perhaps you should submit your information to the Wichita State Basketball office and have them update their fact book as needed. Either they are missing some info or they have some awards they do not recognize for some reason.

Comment

Working...
            X