Random Questions, Random Answers, Potpourri, This and That

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Questions, Random Answers, Potpourri, This and That

When and how will Chadrick Lufile, 6-9, 266 and Kadeem Coleby, 6-9, 251 be replaced with equal or better replacements?

I cannot remember a D.J. Bowles matter. Did the university provide D.J. with a four year scholarship? I think it did, but I am not sure.

What position will Markus play?

Will the Shockers have any freshman starters next year?
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

DJ has a scholarship and attends WSU. He does not have an athletic scholarship.
    Markus is a Cleanthony Early type, a stretch 4, if you will. He says he's a 3, we'll see.
    Hamilton has a chance to start due to lack of quality big men. I would be surprised if he starts though. We need an all american JUCO big in a bad way.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      DJ has a scholarship and attends WSU. He does not have an athletic scholarship.
      Markus is a Cleanthony Early type, a stretch 4, if you will. He says he's a 3, we'll see.
      Hamilton has a chance to start due to lack of quality big men. I would be surprised if he starts though. We need an all american JUCO big in a bad way.
      Don't we need more scholarships first?

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
        Don't we need more scholarships first?
        It will be an interesting off-season

Comment

I have REALLY mixed opinions on this topic. I have a son who played a lower level, but still full ride, college hoops, and his coach one time bluntly told him his scholarship could be halved(NAIA, when NAIA was a pretty big(comparatively) deal) and I remember being pretty mad, because the coach had said NEVER will I cut your scholie...well, he didn't but he could have, so I'm always KINDA on the side of the existing IF they are good citizens...but I realize it is a business...

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
            I have REALLY mixed opinions on this topic. I have a son who played a lower level, but still full ride, college hoops, and his coach one time bluntly told him his scholarship could be halved(NAIA, when NAIA was a pretty big(comparatively) deal) and I remember being pretty mad, because the coach had said NEVER will I cut your scholie...well, he didn't but he could have, so I'm always KINDA on the side of the existing IF they are good citizens...but I realize it is a business...
            Most coaches are brutally honest with players, as they should be, about expected playing time in the future. That is usually what rocks the boat. Not that a schollie is being pulled, but that you are welcome to stay here if you don't mind splinters in your butt. Most kids decide to move on at that point.

Comment

No freshman starters next year.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.
              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
              -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                No freshman starters next year.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.
                Probably no starters, but they'll see plenty of action.

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                  This is where things can get a little sticky. I was a baseball player and had full ride D-1 offers, but chose to take a preferred walk-on offer at a school with more baseball prominence. I don't know your son or his situation, but in my experience I have seen coaches use your scholarship as leverage to inspire (or threaten) better performance. I'm not saying it's right, but I've seen it happen. Most of the time the coach has no intentions of actually cutting scholarships, but for whatever reason believes that reminding players of the ability to do so. However, it is simply wrong to threaten to go back on a promise. It was always stated to me that scholarships are an annual commitment, not a 4 year commitment. I can't imagine a coach saying otherwise.

I've also heard of players being asked if they would mind having their scholarship cut by an amount in order to attract other recruits to sign. This is an instance where I can say that I do not entirely agree with the coach's actions. Part of coaching at the college level is managing scholarships. It's kind of the idea of overdrawing your bank account. Don't spend what you don't have.
                  Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

Let me know if I'm off my rocker here but...Both Baker and Wessel are graduating this year but have a year left of eligibility. They are both in state residence too but will need to enroll in a graduate program to play, correct? I can't imagine that their tuition and class fees would be much as they wouldn't have to be enrolled in full class loads like the undergraduate programs? Correct me if I'm wrong, I only have a bachelors degree.
                    So in theory, both kids could walk on for a relatively low amount, much like McD did last year, freeing up some scholarships to better the team.
                    I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                    If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

Originally posted by LandStander View Post
                      Let me know if I'm off my rocker here but...Both Baker and Wessel are graduating this year but have a year left of eligibility. They are both in state residence too but will need to enroll in a graduate program to play, correct? I can't imagine that their tuition and class fees would be much as they wouldn't have to be enrolled in full class loads like the undergraduate programs? Correct me if I'm wrong, I only have a bachelors degree.
                      So in theory, both kids could walk on for a relatively low amount, much like McD did last year, freeing up some scholarships to better the team.
                      I wouldn't necessarily assume they are graduating.
                      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by LandStander View Post
                        They will be in their fifth year. Maybe not graduates. If they graduate, the second most likely thing to happen (after staying on scholarship at WSU for a fifth year) would be them leaving for a different program, eligible to play immediately.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                          I wouldn't necessarily assume they are graduating.
                          But if either or both are I believe this scenario is plausible. I base it off the Matt Stainbrook scholarship situation at Xavier university this season.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                            They will be in their fifth year. Maybe not graduates. If they graduate, the second most likely thing to happen (after staying on scholarship at WSU for a fifth year) would be them leaving for a different program, eligible to play immediately.
                            That could make sense for Wessell if he wanted to take one more shot at football.

Comment

Originally posted by shocktown View Post
                              But if either or both are I believe this scenario is plausible. I base it off the Matt Stainbrook scholarship situation at Xavier university this season.
                              It's possible but incredibly unlikely. Most teams that sign more than their quota have players leave.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X