Blueprint to Beat the Shockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueprint to Beat the Shockers

The ISU game was a blueprint for any team to beat the Shockers in the tournament. Play a 2-3 zone, because apparently Marshall's game plan against a team that plays a 2-3 zone is to throw the ball around the perimeter and hope somebody makes a three.

I remember one or two good plays in the 2nd half against the 2-3 zone, including the alley oop from Fred to Darius. But other than that, nothing was working.

I was at the game, and you could just feel that when ISU made 5 out of 6 shots to start the 2nd half that the momentum shifted. And when the stayed in the 2-3 zone, the time just ticked away and we could not muster much offense.

All the debate about whether the Shocks get a 5 or a 6 seed is meaningless. Regardless of the matchup, any team can watch the video of the ISU game to discover how to beat the Shockers. I'd love to hear Marshall address what the offensive scheme is against a 2-3 zone.

I could tell when I looked at the scoreboard and the fouls were WSU 7 and ILS 1 that the momentum had changed. Can't wait to get home and look at the gmomentum changing foul on Fred's steal and negated layup at the end.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
      I could tell when I looked at the scoreboard and the fouls were WSU 7 and ILS 1 that the momentum had changed. Can't wait to get home and look at the gmomentum changing foul on Fred's steal and negated layup at the end.
      I can tell you that the camera angle on the replay is from behind Fred, which makes it a little difficult to see if it was all ball or if there was actually contact. Coincidentally, this is the same angle of sight that the ref who made the cell had. He was behind Fred. The ref on the other side did not call for the foul.

Comment

Zone, shmone... Our lack of a consistent inside scoring and front line defense is what beat us. A team with a big that plays better than our big is the recipe. It beat us at Utah, GW, UNI, and yestetday, when Lynch figured out how to play like a legit bug man, and DC let him..
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

We weren't able to penetrate the center of the zone very well with Lynch in the middle. The combination of not having a consistent big, and inconsistent three point shooting took us out of it. Also, Paris Lee's ability to strip the dribble drive at the top of the key.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
            Zone, shmone... Our lack of a consistent inside scoring and front line defense is what beat us. A team with a big that plays better than our big is the recipe. It beat us at Utah, GW, UNI, and yestetday, when Lynch figured out how to play like a legit bug man, and DC let him..
            This.
            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Not that many teams will be able to play the zone as effectively as ISUr did yesterday. There is a reason not many teams play it.

This was a tough weekend for the WSU bigs (albeit there were a few great moments). I will give them the benefit of the doubt because of the long-living STL curse (not their fault the Shox have the hex on them)*. I suspect they will be better come NCAA time.

* speaking of curse; If we ever find the wizard, witch, vodo doll, or what ever has this trance on WSU in STL, let's make sure to put the kibosh on it.
              The Assman

Comment

Prepping the zone with 1-day turnaround and a head coach sick as a dog made this one particularly dangerous imo.
                Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

If you play Wichita State with a zone. you have to pray that
                  Baker and VanVleet have a bad game shooting threes at the same time.

WSU only lost 4 games this year for a reason.
                  They rarely both have bad shooting games.

Comment

The 43 points given up in the 2nd half had nothing to do with Ill Sts zone.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Oh good grief.

Comment

The blueprint is simple:

1) Play the Shox in STL.
                        2) Hope the curse is still in effect.

All hyperbole aside, there is no "blueprint" to be the Shox. Especially now that the team has two weeks to rest, prepare, and let this loss keep them angry.
                        Last edited by Shock Top; March 8, 2015, 12:03 PM.
                        The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                          The blueprint is simple:

1) Play the Shox in STL.
                          2) Hope the cuse is still in effect.

All hyperbole aside, there is no "blueprint" to be the Shox. Especially now that the team has two weeks to rest, prepare, and let this loss keep them angry.
                          I'm glad there are two weeks to allow whatever coach is ailed with to run its course through the locker room.

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                            The blueprint is simple:

1) Play the Shox in STL.
                            2) Hope the cuse is still in effect.

No worries on #2 as NCAA came down hard on them. :biggrin-new:

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                              No worries on #2 as NCAA came down hard on them. :biggrin-new:
                              Damn. Nice catch.

Looks like there only one step then!
                              The Assman

Comment

Working...
                              X