The students have been pissing me off all year long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The students have been pissing me off all year long

I'm now 10 years removed from WSU so I guess that is when the old man switch flips. So to everyone younger than I am, there is your warning. To everyone older, I'm glad to join the cranky ass club.

Every damn home game people ask me how they can get tickets. Them every game this year you ****ing students don't show up. Oh, I'm sure you students that read this board show up. Obviously you do. But those other twats you go to class with? Where the **** are they? You need to answer that question and fix it for Saturday and every game next year.

How do you fix it? *** **** kids today...

If you are buying a ticket to sell later, stop that ****. Go rob a liquor store or sell your ass for cash on the street. The more people do this the more people over buy or sell to people who don't show. If your friends are doing this, kick their ass! Get a ticket, use a ticket.

If you hear someone saying they can't make it ask them why not? You get one chance to experience college as a young adult. Do it right. Work? Damn you got sick. Family? Also sick. Actually sick? Suck it up and go. Or give your ticket to someone. Once again - call out your no show friends.

Finally - own that you students have been a massive disappointment this year. Don't blame th university for. It making it fun or whatever. That is bullshit. The game is all you need. **** all the stupid ****. Go. Be loud. Boo the refs. Heckle the other team. Be a ****ing student section and for the love of all that is holy put away your ****ing phone! What you want is in front of your face. If your friend isn't at the game that person isn't your friend! Your voice box should be tired after a game and not your thumbs.

In Saturday the students set the tone. They need to be loud and active all game long. If you are reading this and getting pissed at me for calling you out -- good. Do something about it. You have all week to get chants together, encourage others to stop being stupid, and to bring your A game. You have to set the tempo. You have to stay standing the whole game. Seriously -- chant at everyone else to stand up and cheer.

Coach is right - you stupid little ****ers are going to ruin it for classes to come because you aren't packing it to the rafters.

I like the idea behind your post, but I disagree that it's entirely the students fault. Organization is key. (Koch Industries doesn't just hope people show up and everything goes great. They have a well-oiled machine.)

On another note, WSU isn't the only program that has had issues with this. Duke recently had an issue with student tickets; they changed how it was organized. (Also, Ol' Roy recently complained about the crowds at UNC. They are a pretty proud program too.)
    The Assman

Comment

I think a way to stop the students from just picking up tickets to sell is to have them be an electronic ticket loaded onto that student's student ID. If you bought a guest ticket, that is loaded on there as well, they have to be with you. I don't know how the logistics all would work, but k believe it is doable.

Comment

While good points, if the problem were students selling the tickets, there would be butts in seats. However, the issue is that the tickets are unused. It seems more like an issue of a mispriced option. The price of the option to go to the game is to pick up the free ticket. Once that's accomplished the student can go to the game if they wish, or study, go to the bar, etc... with only their option price (time to pick up the ticket) lost. What if they had to pay full freight for tickets on their student card and then were refunded when they were scanned in to the game?

Short of some level of buy in, I don't see a solution beyond HCGM's, which is fewer student tickets.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

It's hard to cheer, when at every timeout, Don Hall quiets the crowd to do some lame promotional game. WSU does a good job of killing their own crowd (again, bad organization).
          The Assman

Comment

No, it isn't hard to cheer. You just stand up, clap, and yell. It's wicked easy. Heck, make it a contest to see if you can drown out the promotions.

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
              I like the idea behind your post, but I disagree that it's entirely the students fault. Organization is key. (Koch Industries doesn't just hope people show up and everything goes great. They have a well-oiled machine.)

On another note, WSU isn't the only program that has had issues with this. Duke recently had an issue with student tickets; they changed how it was organized. (Also, Ol' Roy recently complained about the crowds at UNC. They are a pretty proud program too.)
              I've bee n critical of this years students before so I won't say much. However, this year's class is the worst in the past 12 years. I was a grad student for a couple of years 12 years ago and I used my 3-6 hrs. of class to get tickets. I may have sat beside Rosewood during those games. I had to show up at 5ish just to get seats right behind the entry ways (front row above what is today's signs). The reason I preferred these seats is because students never sat down, even during the breaks and I didn't want to stand the whole game although sometimes I didn't get to the games on time. The seats were always full within 30 minutes of letting the students in and we had a great time. Never do I remember student section seats to be empty and that was during NIT years when we weren't ranked. Referees never walked into the tunnel without being pelted by insults (they get off easy now). It just seems like the students this year are spoiled.

Comment

As someone who was a student last year, I know of people who due to work cannot pick up tickets when they come out and can't get them because they have sold out. My assumption was that they are sold out because of others going that have no intention of using them to try to sell them. That would only be one piece of the issue. It is the one that frustrates me the most, so I really only addressed it. I don't have a great answer to the overarching issue. At some point more organization by students is required. That is less of a systemic issue and more of a lack of current effort.

Comment

I think the main problem is that the student seats are awful. Nobody wants to sit in the endzones. Put the students in the middle at half-court, or at the very least put them directly behind the oppositions bench.

We relegate them to a side endzone behind a basket, which are some of the worst seats in the entire place. Why would a kid want to sit in the very top endzone when they can get a better seat at the bar or at home?

If people are selling them, make student tickets look entirely different than regular tickets so you have to have a Student ID to get into the game with the ticket.

This shouldn't be that difficult. We have a university in the state that has 6k students show up for each game. Figure out what they do and do it.

Comment

How about sell season passes. Sell as many as students are willing to buy.

If they sell 5000, they sell 5000. Only the first 1000 get in. If you don't make it, to bad so sad for you. (Maybe do camp outs to secure your spot, in cause you have to work up till game time.)
                    The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
                      I think the main problem is that the student seats are awful. Nobody wants to sit in the endzones. Put the students in the middle at half-court
                      lol what on earth, no.

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                        How about sell season passes. Sell as many as students are willing to buy.
                        How many years are remaining on the current deal where student fee hikes earned free season tix for students?

Selling student tickets will eventually be the reality whenever the current free ride runs out. Tying it to a few hundred bucks will make a surprising difference in turnout ratio, and any excess can be hocked to joe public for a handsome sum.

Comment

I think the main problem is that the student seats are awful. Nobody wants to sit in the endzones. Put the students in the middle at half-court, or at the very least put them directly behind the oppositions bench.
                          No way.

Comment

We relegate them to a side endzone behind a basket, which are some of the worst seats in the entire place. Why would a kid want to sit in the very top endzone when they can get a better seat at the bar or at home?

If people are selling them, make student tickets look entirely different than regular tickets so you have to have a Student ID to get into the game with the ticket.

This shouldn't be that difficult. We have a university in the state that has 6k students show up for each game. Figure out what they do and do it.
                            Agreed. This has been proposed on this board before, but if they lowered the court, they could add seats right up to the baseline.

TCU recently did something similar.

Before:

After:

The Assman

Comment

Interesting method:

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

Comment

Working...
                              X