SOS - What it does and doesn't tell us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
    How about my teams. You know they are all top 25 teams. Which was more impressive. TEAM A or TEAM B. How about between Team C and D?
    In your multiple posts, I guess I didn't pick up that Tweam A and B were top 25 teams. If they were, that doesn't mean anything since Team B has not yet had the opportunity to play anything but a 170 ranked team, or whatever number you ultimately decide to attach to it. What is team C & D? Are you on to a different question?
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
      In your multiple posts, I guess I didn't pick up that Tweam A and B were top 25 teams. If they were, that doesn't mean anything since Team B has not yet had the opportunity to play anything but a 170 ranked team, or whatever number you ultimately decide to attach to it. What is team C & D? Are you on to a different question?
      This is my third post on this subject. If you look at the top of this page (6) you will see my first, but here are my teams again.

Team A

Average RPI of their Top 5 wins 22
      Average RPI of their Bottom 5 wins 233

Team B
      Average RPI of their top 5 wins 43
      Average RPI of their bottom 5 wins 214.

Or these Teams.

Team C

Top 5 61
      Bot 5 245

Team D

Top 5 39
      Bot 5 283

Comment

• When ever I want to take a nap I just read a few pages of this thread. Will be back soon from my nap .

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXJOCK View Post
          When ever I want to take a nap I just read a few pages of this thread. Will be back soon from my nap .
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

This is my third post on this subject. If you look at the top of this page (6) you will see my first, but here are my teams again.

Team A

Team B

Or these Teams.

Team C

Top 5 61
            Bot 5 245

Team D

Top 5 39
            Bot 5 283
            Team A > B
            Team D > C
            ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• I just hope JH4P gets to the point of this long, drawn out exercise before Eric Hamilton graduates from WSU.

Comment

Team A

Team B

Or these Teams.

Team C

Top 5 61
                Bot 5 245

Team D

Top 5 39
                Bot 5 283
                Sorry I was responding to JH4P and did not pick up that it wa syou responding. Frankly I have no tread nor followed your discussion and probably will not get that deep into this.
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                    Here are two changes to the original hypothetical that would make it potentially yield results:

1. Assert that all games were on the same type of location (e.g. all home games)
                    2. Don't ask how you would rank the two teams, ask which of the two teams played a tougher schedule

Home/Away is too big a factor on game difficulty to not be included in an SOS discussion.

Asking who played a tougher schedule is a much narrower question than how teams should be ranked because you don't need to know anything about issues like margin of victory to determine SOS, but you do to determine ranking.
                    I'm still convinced that this post I made much earlier in the thread would actually create the framework for the conversation that JH4P wants to have (as best as I can guess), but the continued insistence on asking which team you would rank higher or which team would impress you more instead of the much more straightforward question of which team played a harder schedule ruins the whole thing.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                      Why is yellow typically on the left? Also, just because you say its gold, I'm not buying it. There has to be some form of color measure to truly ascertain its color validity. Just sayin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                        Team A > B
                        Team D > C
                        I agree. I think most others would also agree. The strength of the top over weighs the weakness of the bottom. JH4P does that answer your question?

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                          Why is yellow typically on the left? Also, just because you say its gold, I'm not buying it. There has to be some form of color measure to truly ascertain its color validity. Just sayin.
                          y + b = g

y = yellow
                          b = black
                          g = gold

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                            y + b = g

y = yellow
                            b = black
                            g = gold
                            I'm starting to see the light, and took less than 20 minutes.

Comment

• I pity the poor souls in here that are venturing into the point of no return.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Any chance that we could shoot this thread and put it out of its misery?

Comment

Working...
                                X