SOS - What it does and doesn't tell us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOS - What it does and doesn't tell us

This conversation was started in the games of interest thread, but I felt that it would be better to move it into its own thread instead.

Original question:

Team A is 2-0. Beat a team ranked in the top 10 and a terrible 300+ team.
    Team B is 2-0. Beat Vermont and Louisiana Lafayette, who are a couple of mediocre teams each ranked in the mid 100s and each with 11-10 records.

You know nothing else about either team. Based on admittedly very limited information, which team do you rank higher?

I've already seen some complaints that the premise isn't valid. I think the premise is very valid. If I take the next step in my logical progression and you feel my logic doesn't hold, then call me out on it. However, for now, I think this is a very valid starting point.

What if Kentucky beat Vermont & LL, while Bowling Green upsets Arizona & beat Sisters of the Blind? Who do you rank higher. Remember, limited info.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
      What if Kentucky beat Vermont & LL, while Bowling Green upsets Arizona & beat Sisters of the Blind? Who do you rank higher. Remember, limited info.
      If you say:
      Team A beat Vermont & LL
      Team B beat Arizona and Sisters of the Blind

Then I say I'd rank Team B higher based on that information alone.

It is only fair to start where I've started, with Team A and Team B being unknowns. As soon as you introduce team names, you introduce new information.

So will you answer my original question?

Comment

Let's go with B for 500 Alex.

Comment

Thanks for the answer. I'll admit that I expected this would be a question where everyone unanimously selected "Team A", but I'm more than happy to back up a step.

Can you explain why you chose Team B? I would think the win over a top 10 team would give Team A the clear advantage. I'm interested to hear your reasoning.

Comment

I can't speak for SHOXMVC reasoning, but any team can get lucky and beat another team on an off night by the better team. To consistently beat decent teams through out the entire season is a tougher task.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
              Thanks for the answer. I'll admit that I expected this would be a question where everyone unanimously selected "Team A", but I'm more than happy to back up a step.

Can you explain why you chose Team B? I would think the win over a top 10 team would give Team A the clear advantage. I'm interested to hear your reasoning.
              I say B also. Too limited of info either way. With it just being ONE Top 10 win, it could be a fluke. If its was modified to say the below, I'd lean toward A because they have multiple wins against good teams whereas the other team beats up on average teams and hasn't PROVEN then are better.

Team A is 6-0. Beat 3 teams ranked in the top 10 and 3 terrible 300+ teams.
              Team B is 6-0. Beat 6 mediocre teams each ranked in the mid 100s and each with 11-10 records.

Comment

Team B

Here is how you "play" RPI, you schedule the BEST teams you know you CAN beat (of course that is easier in theory, than in realty) - you can get a decent SOS without ever playing anybody.

Comment

Were they all home games? Why have team A and team B each only played 2 games while the rest of the country has played 21 games? Seems like they both have terrible SOS and should play a lot more games.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                    Team B

Here is how you "play" RPI, you schedule the BEST teams you know you CAN beat (of course that is easier in theory, than in realty) - you can get a decent SOS without ever playing anybody.
                    I know how difficult it is for shox to schedule but on the surface to outsiders this is exactly what it looks like wsu does. I dont believe it to be the case but i would like us to step out of the box and play a blue blood on their floor for a 1 and done every once in awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by fuball7 View Post
                      I know how difficult it is for shox to schedule but on the surface to outsiders this is exactly what it looks like wsu does. I dont believe it to be the case but i would like us to step out of the box and play a blue blood on their floor for a 1 and done every once in awhile.
                      Unnecessary, we got a home and home with Utah and Seton Hall. Those are looking like two top notch teams. If we make exceptions for other teams, like UNC, Michigan State, UCONN, or Duke, then every team from a power conference will want the same deal. It may get us one marquee game but hurt our ability to schedule the rest of our non-con, which was quite good this year.
                      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by WSU and Reds Fan View Post
                        I can't speak for SHOXMVC reasoning, but any team can get lucky and beat another team on an off night by the better team. To consistently beat decent teams through out the entire season is a tougher task.
                        Thanks for the commentary. Care to answer the question I posed? Team A or Team B?

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                          Let's go with B for 500 Alex.
                          For some weird reason, my brain flashed back to Sean Connery SNL skits upon reading your post.
                          78-65

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                            I say B also. Too limited of info either way. With it just being ONE Top 10 win, it could be a fluke. If its was modified to say the below, I'd lean toward A because they have multiple wins against good teams whereas the other team beats up on average teams and hasn't PROVEN then are better.

Team A is 6-0. Beat 3 teams ranked in the top 10 and 3 terrible 300+ teams.
                            Team B is 6-0. Beat 6 mediocre teams each ranked in the mid 100s and each with 11-10 records.

It could be a fluke? Sure, any outcome could be a fluke. However, by definition, a fluke is something that happens rarely. I'm asking you to stick to what is most likely.

I do not wish to modify my scenario to yours because yours adds complexity. I wanted to start from a very simple point that I felt we could all be in agreement... then we could move on from there into more detailed conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                              Team B

The fact that you are introducing RPI, how to "play it", scheduling philosophy, ect. tells me that you are off on some tangent that goes way outside of the basic question I initially proposed.

I'm trying to start out simple so we can begin from a point of agreement.

You post completely sidetracks that process.

Comment

Working...
                              X