New recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New recruits

Of the 4 incoming freshman for next season. Who do you think will be most ready to make meaningful contributions out of the gate

C----Shaq, Bush, Nurger
    PF---Kelly, Glass, Hamilton
    SF---Wessel, Brown, McDuffie
    2G----Baker, Holland, Shamet
    PG----VanVleet, Henderson, Taylor
    ...........of course, 2 of these guys will not be here, and several of them play multiple postions

Comment

You forgot Frankamp

Comment

McDuffie.
        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

McDuffie.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Hamilton went to a regular high school and is now playing a postgrad year at Sunrise against high-level prep and juco competition. Taylor is at an elite prep school, playing against high-level competition. McDuffie is playing for one of the top high school programs in the country. Shamet is at a regular high school. All of that may have an impact.

On size for his position (SF and possibly SG) and reputation for skill level, McDuffie is probably the most advanced of the four. And of course, as noted above, Frankamp is also a newcomer available starting second semester, although he's not a freshman.

Comment

McDuffie due to his size and availability of playing time for players 6'6"+. Going to be tough for the young guards to break into very much playing time I would assume. But if one does...its either exceptionally good (talent) or exceptionally bad (injury).
              -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

How well they play defense will determine that. Watched Landry Shamet on TV last week. He looks like 18 year old Ron Baker on offense and Corey Henderson Jr (in November) on defense.

Will be interesting to see what happens next year, but we are still in the middle of this season, with the same questions about the 2015 recruits..,
                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Yeah, forgot Frankamp. I am gonna guess Taylor, though.

Comment

McDuffie and Hamilton, based purely on the fact more PT will be available at their positions. Shamet and Taylor won't see the court as much playing behind an already crowded lineup of 1s and 2s.
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

I would have to go with Eric Hamilton as the Freshman most likely to contribute early. He has size, an extra year of conditioning and maturity and has a combination of skills at 6'9 that we don't have a lot of. Tyrone Taylor would be my next choice, for a lot of the same reasons.

Markis McDuffie may have the most upside, but I don't see him playing immediately.
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                        I would have to go with Eric Hamilton as the Freshman most likely to contribute early. He has size, an extra year of conditioning and maturity and has a combination of skills at 6'9 that we don't have a lot of. Tyrone Taylor would be my next choice, for a lot of the same reasons.

Markis McDuffie may have the most upside, but I don't see him playing immediately.
                        Hamilton has several built in advantages to be the "most ready" freshman to contribute next year (as noted by @wu_shizzle:). Playing the post he has less competition than the other freshman, He's a year older, currently in town and hanging around the team, practiced with the team last summer. He also has some weaknesses in his skill set that might make it difficult to execute on Gregg's needs. He's loose with the ball and has no post up game to speak of. Does he have the strength needed to bang; even as a stretch 4?

Taylor is supposedly an excellent defender and that will get you time immediately. I am less optimistic about his remaining skills translating to PT as a freshman.

Shamet has the all around guard game (shoot, pass, dribble, high IQ, good body control). His defense was recently questioned by a fan (I have no insight one way or the other) and he's skinny. Could go either way with Landry, but I expect him to be very good by this time next year.

Not sure what to think about McDuffie (as a freshman). He is highly ranked and plays for an exceptionally high level program/coach. He is athletic, skilled inside and out, extremely tall for his position, but also extremely skinny and very young. McDuffie's upside is NBA lottery (if he ends up 6-9+), but I think he will be behind a couple of players at the three and not physical enough to play the four…as a freshman. I look for him to blossom in his second Shocker season.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

None of them. Most of this year's Freshman class will step up, plus Frankamp will be ready to go after the 1st semester. Ron and Fred both come back. They all look at the PT available and agree with Coach that another developmental year would be good for them and they all redshirt.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                            Shamet has the all around guard game (shoot, pass, dribble, high IQ, good body control). His defense was recently questioned by a fan (I have no insight one way or the other) and he's skinny. Could go either way with Landry, but I expect him to be very good by this time next year.
                            I commented on his defense. Nothing to be overly concerned about. He is a high school baller who has no clue what Wichita State defense is. He will adjust in due time.

He needs some Ron Baker muscles also. Once he gets those and learns our defense we will be very happy that he plays for us. :-)
                            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Agree with your assessment of Shamet. I watched him Friday night as well and have to say I was really impressed by his ball handling and passing skills. I'm not sure if he was recruited as a 1 or 2 but he sure looks like he has point guard skills. He is very adept at his change of pace dribble and seemed like he could get in the lane pretty much whenever he wanted to. He will need to put on some weight and get stronger to absorb contact from bigger college players but when he does he will be fun to watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X