Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integrating new players into system

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    One point about Baker not being the PG FVV is.... I agree. BUT, Baker also doesn't get to play PG with Baker at SG. Makes things a little different.
    Dizzle's comment got me to wondering about the effect on efficiency of having one, two or more newbies in the lineup at the same time. Through 17 games, here are the +/- numbers

# Newbies Groups Seconds Opp Pts WSU Pts Net Minutes +/- per 40
    0 1 6764 142 207 65 113 23.1
    1 23 12778 294 375 81 213 15.2
    2 71 11875 311 370 59 198 11.9
    3 50 6360 149 184 35 106 13.2
    4 20 1345 32 32 0 22 0.0
    5 19 2278 66 57 -9 38 -9.5
    All Groups 184 41400 994 1225 231 690 13.4

I then looked at the 103 groupings that included Fred.

# Newbies Groups Seconds Opp Pts WSU Pts Net Minutes +/- per 40
    0 1 6764 142 207 65 113 23.1
    1 19 11975 274 348 74 200 14.8
    2 47 7999 204 246 42 133 12.6
    3 31 97 2 3 1 2 24.7
    4 5 366 11 10 -1 6 -6.6
    All Groups 103 27201 633 814 181 453 16.0

Then, getting right down to Dizzle's comment concerning the advantage Fred has of playing with Baker and vice versa. I could only come up with the following categories. Obviously, when one or the other or both are not playing, there must be one or more newbies on the floor.

Groups Seconds Opp Pts WSU Pts Net Minutes +/- per 40
    Fred only 47 4555 132 132 0 76 0.0
    Ron only 51 7162 180 213 33 119 11.1
    Both 56 26695 592 809 217 445 19.5
    Neither 30 2988 90 71 -19 50 -15.3
    All Groups 184 41400 994 1225 231 690 13.4
    I was stunned by the effect of Fred not having Baker on the floor as compared to Baker not having Fred on the floor.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Wow. This is very well thought out and quite clearly shown and explained. Good work. This is very interesting indeed.

Comment

I'm pretty sure this is the similar data used by coach Marshall... Its similar to what the Houston rockets are analyzing to make basketball more efficient.. Forgot what the term is called

Comment

I've tried looking for it (Bleacher Report?), but a recent write up on Fred quoted him saying something like "When WSU was recruiting me, all they talked about was this white boy from Western Kansas".

So even then the staff knew, and Fred knew, how good Ron (and Cle) would make him look.
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

Doesn't exactly give you the warm fuzzies for the future

Comment

This is interesting, well done stuff, im4. It's indeed a striking testament to Baker's value on the floor for the Shocks. (Fear not, Doc -- at some point in the past similar analyses might have shown the same thing for other former Shocker greats, but the program has yet to shut down after anyone finished his time, even though there are those who might claim that it should have done so for most of the 90's.)

Did you try to identify the impact of individual newbies -- and if so, who (if anyone) stood out -- or did you treat them all as equivalent? Also, is there any plus-minus verification for the widespread belief (shared by me, by the way) that the Shocks tend to be a better team with Evan Wessel on the floor? Or are such questions way beyond the scope of what you have time to do?

Comment

Actually, it may not look that bad. We probably may have at least one of FVV and Ron back, if not both, for next year. Our frosh, and next years class, will have another year of experience before both are gone.

When you look at the "3 newbies vs 1 newbie", there is very little difference. Even with only a half of a year experience for most of our non-starters, their +13.2 is pretty good. Granted, most of those minutes with 3 newbies is against lesser competition, but it would be interesting to see how this all looks by the end of conference play and again at the end of the year.

Comment

Six freshmen with Fred and Ron this year means six sophomores with Fred and Ron next year. That's two years for the FVVRB effect to rub off on them. I believe the same mathematics run next year will show positive improvement.
                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                  This is interesting, well done stuff, im4. It's indeed a striking testament to Baker's value on the floor for the Shocks. (Fear not, Doc -- at some point in the past similar analyses might have shown the same thing for other former Shocker greats, but the program has yet to shut down after anyone finished his time, even though there are those who might claim that it should have done so for most of the 90's.)

Did you try to identify the impact of individual newbies -- and if so, who (if anyone) stood out -- or did you treat them all as equivalent? Also, is there any plus-minus verification for the widespread belief (shared by me, by the way) that the Shocks tend to be a better team with Evan Wessel on the floor? Or are such questions way beyond the scope of what you have time to do?
                  I can look at any grouping of five players, but to focus on one individual is very time consuming across the 184 groupings. Fred, for example, is in 103 groupings. Of course, the newbies are not in quite as many groupings,

Evan, through 17 games, is the highest net + per 40 minutes at 18.1, but is fifth in the largest gross margin with +120 compared to Baker's +250 and 17.7 per 40.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Doesn't exactly give you the warm fuzzies for the future
                    I'm holding out hope that in the tourney this year, our next star will emerge.

Fred and Ron didn't have to compete with Fred and Ron, but it was clear they were special.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

Fred and Ron didn't have to compete with Fred and Ron, but it was clear they were special.
                      I am not as concerned about the backcourt with Connor and Zach playing key roles over the next 2.5 / 3 years but who ultimately will be stepping up in the post? We need a big mean junk yard dog to emerge from a couple of our young post players. There is talent there if they will find it within themselves to play angry.

Comment

A huge key to winning at this level is playing the best players the correct amount of minutes. Remember years ago when the N. Iowa player hit the lucky winning shot at the buzzer when Coach T was our coach? The next day as I studied the box score and noticed quite a contrast in minutes played with their best players versus ours. I can't remember the exact details but we had only 1 player at 30 minutes or more and they had all 5 of their best players with 30 minutes or more minutes played. With that said, I had to wonder if NIU would have even had the chance for their heroics had we played our best players more minutes also.

One of the many reasons 3G wins more of his fair share of games is him playing our best players the proper amount of minutes in each game depending on fouls, minor injuries, and match ups. Even in the 2 games we lost this Season, we were in a situation that we could have won both games if we would have made shots down the stretch.
                        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

For a star to emerge, the candidate must shoot the ball and make some shots.

Other than Shaq, there has not been a lot of that going on lately.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Comparing the performance of the starters, newcomers and walk-ons in yesterday's game compared to the total season to date:

Game at Evansville All games
                            Starters Newbies Walk-ons Starters Newbies Walk-ons
                            FG% 43.2% 50.0% 0.0% 45.4% 45.0% 33.3%
                            3FG% 40.0% 0.0% 36.5% 37.1% 33.3%
                            FT% 84.2% 60.0% 0.0% 69.8% 63.2% 66.7%
                            REB/40 6.8 8.3 0.0 6.2 6.8 3.3
                            PF/40 2.5 3.8 24.0 2.5 5.1 5.7
                            TP/40 14.6 6.8 0.0 15.7 11.2 9.0
                            A/40 2.3 0.8 0.0 3.5 1.4 3.3
                            TO/40 1.1 6.8 8.0 1.6 2.3 2.4
                            BLK/40 1.1 3.0 0.0 0.6 1.1 0.0
                            S/40 1.7 0.8 0.0 1.7 0.7 0.8
                            MIN 142 53 5 2393 1208 49

Comment

Working...
                            X