shock10 26 9
    molly jabali 24 8
    WSU and Reds Fan 24 8
    Anthroshock 22 0
    shock 22 0
    WINGdingBALLfling 7 0
    mjbaker84 6 0
    shocker22 6 0
    "If you strive for perfection, often times you can achieve excellence." --Gregg Marshall

Let me say, I've never participated in this thing before, and I love it! I took myself out of any contention by totally missing the second round of games, but playing anyway...thanks for doing this,SumShocker!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
      Let me say, I've never participated in this thing before, and I love it! I took myself out of any contention by totally missing the second round of games, but playing anyway...thanks for doing this,SumShocker!!!!
      At least you have an excuse, I took myself out of contention with my picks!
      Echo the thanks SumShocker!
      Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
        At least you have an excuse, I took myself out of contention with my picks!
        Echo the thanks SumShocker!
        Actually, you are currently in a tie for 8th place. Granted that would put you in the play-in round but you would still be playing. As long as you make the post-season tournament your still contention. Plus you are only 2 points out of 6th place which would avoid the play-in round. With 13 rounds to go you have more then enough time to move up (or down).

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Actually, you are currently in a tie for 8th place. Granted that would put you in the play-in round but you would still be playing. As long as you make the post-season tournament your still contention. Plus you are only 2 points out of 6th place which would avoid the play-in round. With 13 rounds to go you have more then enough time to move up (or down).
          That is not how 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. places are calculated. You don't have a 5 way tie for first and then call then next 8 players tied for second and the next 11 players tied for 3rd. Instead, that would be a 5 way tie for first, 8 way tie for sixth, and an 11 way tie for fourteenth. If the top 10 move on, 13 would move on in my example. Under your method, about 80 people would.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
            That is not how 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. places are calculated. You don't have a 5 way tie for first and then call then next 8 players tied for second and the next 11 players tied for 3rd. Instead, that would be a 5 way tie for first, 8 way tie for sixth, and an 11 way tie for fourteenth. If the top 10 move on, 13 would move on in my example. Under your method, about 80 people would.
            The way my picker is working, I like that method.

Comment

The method I described is how it was done in the past. Here is last year's final standings at the end of the regular season in which 29 participants made the post season.

http://shockernet.net/forum/showthread.php?17788-Final-Pick-Em-Contest-Standings&p=470577&viewfull=1#post470577

However, it is entirely possible that @SumShocker has changed the methodology this year and I missed that.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                The method I described is how it was done in the past. Here is last year's final standings at the end of the regular season in which 29 participants made the post season.

http://shockernet.net/forum/showthread.php?17788-Final-Pick-Em-Contest-Standings&p=470577&viewfull=1#post470577

However, it is entirely possible that @SumShocker has changed the methodology this year and I missed that.
                No, you're spot on. That's how SumShocker has done it in the past.

What you have here is a case of an over-eager, nerotic genius (in his own mind), jumping the gun on something for no other reason than to drop another "I told you so", that got firmly spewed back into his face.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

It appears it is the scores that are ranked, not the participants.

Comment

Originally posted by rayc View Post
                    It appears it is the scores that are ranked, not the participants.
                    That's correct. Right now 35 and above (62 participants) are among the Top 10 scores and would qualify for the post-season as of today. However, that number will no doubt diminish as the season progresses and really doesn't mean a lot this early in the season. Perhaps @SumShocker: can add a cut line once we reach the the half way point of the season. However, that cut line is constantly moving depending on how the scores are arrayed.

Comment

Just to remove any doubt about the contest rules:

The same rules apply as in prior years
                      To participate in the post-season contest your final score must be one of the ten best point totals accumulated, including all ties, during the regular conference season. In the past this means many more than ten get to participate in the post-season contest.
                      I want to add my thanks to @SumShocker:. Running the contest takes some time and effort and he does a good job.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the mentions and acknowledgements. @1972Shocker: has correctly referenced and described participation in the Arch Madness post-season contest.
                        "If you strive for perfection, often times you can achieve excellence." --Gregg Marshall

Comment

Thanks for the correction on how this particular scoring is done. Very different than almost anywhere else in the sports world, but as long as we all know the rules, I guess that's all that matters.

Comment

Thanks for the correction on how this particular scoring is done. Very different than almost anywhere else in the sports world, but as long as we all know the rules, I guess that's all that matters.
                            I think the way it has and is being done sustains interest in the contest to a greater degree than the traditional Top 10 and ties method used in determine team standings. The Top 3 point scorers in the regular season are still the winners of the prizes with ties broken by who advances the farthest in the Valley Tournament segment.

I don't recall if there is even a prize beyond bragging rights for winning the tournament. Maybe @PlayAngry can tell us, I think he impressively won both the regular and tournament contests last year. It did earn him the tie break for the 1st prize in the regular season contest.

The regular season means something in our contest. The post-season segment not so much.

Comment

Prizes for first, second and third place overall for the regular season contest. One single prize for the overall winner of the Arch Madness post-season contest. Four contributors have stepped forward to donate prizes so far. Need that about that many more to contribute. I would like to get about $225 in total prizes: $100 for regular season first prize, $50 for second, $25 for third, and $50 for Arch Madness contest winner. Current donations are about half way to this total. PM me if you would like to contribute toward the prizes.

Comment

Working...
                              X