Rank HCGM's teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank HCGM's teams

Including the NIT champs - how do you rank the WSU teams?

I was thinking about this today and started having trouble....

Was the final four team better than the one that followed? I think not, but it is an interesting debate.

Anyhow, I will throw out my ranking:

1) last year - Undefeated and number one seed.
    2) two years ago - Final Four
    3) second round loss to VCU (that team was built for a run and just got gimmicked out of the tournament)
    4) this year's team (jury is still out, but I can't rank it higher because the roster construction leaves it vulnerable)
    5) NIT champs - another team built for a monster run, but couldn't find the consistency required to make the tournament.

Undefeated
    First round loss
    Final four
    This year
    NIT

Comment

That year we lost to VCU really hurt

Comment

Last Year
        Final Four
        VCU loss
        NIT
        This year
        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Final Four
          Undefeated
          This year
          NIT

At full strength, that Final Four team was a tougher matchup for teams and could hurt you in more ways. Having FVV has almost made us forget how good Mal was.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
            Undefeated
            First round loss
            Final four
            This year
            NIT
            I agree with this.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
              Last Year
              Final Four
              VCU loss
              NIT
              This year
              This seems good...

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                Last Year
                Final Four
                VCU loss
                NIT
                This year
                How much worse do you think we are this year than a team that didn't make the NCAA tournament? I get that we were snubbed that year, but I'm asking what do you think the score would be between that team and this years team?

That team ended the season 29-8. If our over under is at 8 losses for this year, what do you take? That team also lost four home games.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                  How much worse do you think we are this year than a team that didn't make the NCAA tournament? I get that we were snubbed that year, but I'm asking what do you think the score would be between that team and this years team?

That team ended the season 29-8. If our over under is at 8 losses for this year, what do you take? That team also lost four home games.
                  The NIT team was inconsistent, but it had a nice roster combination. Therefore I think it had more variation in performance but a higher overall level of peak play. I thought the GW coach's post game comments were very telling. He knew this WSU team had key weaknesses to attack. I am not sure the NIT team had three same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post

At the moment, I see a team that needs bigger contributes at the post to be 'better'...I think the Shockers are headed to the Dance, barring a meltdown, but I don't think they are better...yet.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                      Undefeated
                      First round loss
                      Final four
                      This year
                      NIT
                      I also agree with this. In my view, the 2012 team was a Sweet 16 squad at worst, we just had a terrible match up. Kinda like last year too.
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

The NIT team went 0-5 vs. Top 50 opponents, lost to a 200+ RPI team at Koch Arena, finished with an RPI of 35 and KenPom of 25, was ranked 0 weeks, placed 2nd in the MVC in a season where it was weaker than this year (11th vs. 10th), and bowed out in the semis of Arch Madness. Anyone saying we are worse than that has a seriously selective memory.

I'll buck the trend and go with:

1) 2013-14 - Undefeated
                        T-2) 2014-15 and 2011-12 [KenPom ratings of 13 for each season, this year with an early edge in RPI (8 vs. 18)]
                        4) 2012-13 - Final Four (KenPom 17, RPI 18)
                        5) 2010-11 - NIT Title (KenPom 25, RPI 35)

Comment

I think the 2011-12 team was really good. It was nuts that they were out so soon. That team was getting some run as a potential deep run team. They underachieved as much as the 2012-13 team surprised people. I think they could go toe-to-toe with the 2012-13 squad and both of those teams are better teams than our current team until we have a more developed post position plus some experience on the bench.

1. 35-1
                          2. Murry, Stutz, Kyles, Ragland, Hall, Cotton, Smith, D-Will, EO, White (that team was stacked)
                          3. Final 4 (I know you can't argue with a final 4, but I think 2011-12 would be 6-4 in 10 games against this team)
                          4. This year based on what we've seen so far but the ceiling is unknown
                          5. NIT

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                            I think the 2011-12 team was really good. It was nuts that they were out so soon. That team was getting some run as a potential deep run team. They underachieved as much as the 2012-13 team surprised people. I think they could go toe-to-toe with the 2012-13 squad and both of those teams are better teams than our current team until we have a more developed post position plus some experience on the bench.

1. 35-1
                            2. Murry, Stutz, Kyles, Ragland, Hall, Cotton, Smith, D-Will, EO, White (that team was stacked)
                            3. Final 4 (I know you can't argue with a final 4, but I think 2011-12 would be 6-4 in 10 games against this team)
                            4. This year based on what we've seen so far but the ceiling is unknown
                            5. NIT
                            Break down the matchup between 2012 and 2014. I would have to think about that one for a bit.
                            78-65

Comment

I think the final 4 team, fully healthy was the best. There was size, blocking, perimeter defense, three point threats, rebounding. It had a great mix, and everyone knew their roles.
                              You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Working...
                              X