No announcement yet.

Rank HCGM's teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we are underperforming right now and people's rankings are based partially on how poorly we have played the last three games. If we compared the last three games to the three game stretch the Final Four team lost at home to Indiana State by double digits and then two road losses, I think most would have to say this year's team is better.

The Final Four team was good. We did benefit from having Baker come back in time for very little scouting from other teams. We also had an incredibly motivated group of players. If our current team gets some of the Play Angry attitude that team had for the tournament, I think this year's team wins. And I don't think that's a silly qualification to place on a discussion like this because that Final Four team did not Play Angry until they hit an incredibly ugly three game losing streak.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
      Break down the matchup between 2012 and 2014. I would have to think about that one for a bit.
      I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure 2012 wasn't our best team so far.

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
        Including the NIT champs - how do you rank the WSU teams?

I was thinking about this today and started having trouble....

Was the final four team better than the one that followed? I think not, but it is an interesting debate.

Anyhow, I will throw out my ranking:

1) last year - Undefeated and number one seed.
        2) two years ago - Final Four
        3) second round loss to VCU (that team was built for a run and just got gimmicked out of the tournament)
        4) this year's team (jury is still out, but I can't rank it higher because the roster construction leaves it vulnerable)
        5) NIT champs - another team built for a monster run, but couldn't find the consistency required to make the tournament.
        Right now, today, NIT team is better than this year's team. I expect that to change by the end of the year.

Coin toss between 2014 and 2013. I wonder if you could pit them against each other on Prediction Machine simulator?
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Last year's team with Cle as a Senior, Baker and FVV playing at the top of their game, a 3-headed monster at the 5 that meant we never had to worry about foul trouble at that position, Cotton with 10 healthy fingers, etc...

That team was far and away #1 in my mind. The difficulty of finding someone like Cle, or multiple serviceable bigs, or, or, or... it makes me want to stop my list with that team at number 1 and not even care about the other Shocker teams.

Oh Kentucky, what a glorious 40-0 "should've been" that you ruined!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
            Last year's team with Cle as a Senior, Baker and FVV playing at the top of their game, a 3-headed monster at the 5 that meant we never had to worry about foul trouble at that position, Cotton with 10 healthy fingers, etc...

That team was far and away #1 in my mind. The difficulty of finding someone like Cle, or multiple serviceable bigs, or, or, or... it makes me want to stop my list with that team at number 1 and not even care about the other Shocker teams.

Oh Kentucky, what a glorious 40-0 "should've been" that you ruined!!!
            See, that's where I go with the F4 team. They had everything you mentioned, aside from the 3 headed monster and FVV at the top of his game, but you get to add in Mal, EO, and the ultimate beast ball getter in Carl Hall.
            You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

1) 35-1
              2) Fab Five Seniors
              3) Final Four
              4) NIT
              9-16) Turgeon's teams ;)

Can't possibly judge this years squad yet, if we did that when the Final Four team was slumping, they might have been ranked dead last by some here.

Once the season is over, we can all revist this thread and have a good laugh; hopefully.
              The Assman

Comment

2013-2014 - hard to question 35-1
                2011-2012 - played some of the best team basketball seen in these parts
                2012-2013 - Final Four memory is one of a lifetime. However, that team played some very uninspired games prior to the "run".
                2010-2011 - NIT memory also great. There were also uninspired games. Too many.

I don't believe I can rate this year's team yet, but based on the FF and NIT years maybe a little uninspired play is good for us.
                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

The NIT team at the end of the year (NCAA) was really good. Most of the year, they were very inconsistent. Our Final 4 team was good the entire year except for a small stretch toward the end and then we turned it on for the Tournament.

Comment

Talent wise I think the NIT team was the 2nd most talented team Marshall has had behind last year squad
                    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by AdamCC View Post
                      Final Four
                      Undefeated
                      This year
                      NIT

At full strength, that Final Four team was a tougher matchup for teams and could hurt you in more ways. Having FVV has almost made us forget how good Mal was.
                      This!!! Picked 4th in the Valley and we made the Final 4 after fighting through wholesale injuries all that Season. We never did get Wessel back that Season.
                      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

BUMP

Now that we have concluded this past season and can fairly judge it against past teams, where do you rank this team?

I would probably go:
                        35-1
                        Final Four
                        Kings of Kansas
                        VCU Loss
                        NIT Champs

Geez, now that I put more thought into it, it gets tough. I think 35-1 is clearly the best and NIT is clearly the lowest since it didn't make NCAA. The other three are close. It depends on how much you weigh a good postseason run also factoring in the crapshoot of matchups for said tournament run...and also comparing all of that to the full body of work from the regular season.

I still stick with my original order, but there is some definite splitting of hairs involved.
                        78-65

Comment

After 35-1, the post season is what separates things in my book. Talent-wise, those next four teams were so close. I'd probably put the NIT championship team above the team that was one and done.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

This is too easy ... Most out the water team was final 4 squad... But his best team to start a season was the perfect season... JusT ran into a Kentucky team that played perfect... Team that lost to VCU in first round was built for a run.... And thIs years team Just lived up to about where everyone projected..

Comment

if that NIT champ team would have made the dance, they would have done some damage. That was really talented and deep bunch
                              Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

yea, but we will never know because the selection process for bubble teams always favors P5 teams...bullshit, but none the less its a coulda woulda shoulda scenario...but I agree that team made a run in the NIT, but who knows how far against marginally better teams...

Comment

Working...
                                X