Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
    by saying Chris Jans is missed, too.
    oooh, you bring up another amazing deja-vu - I believe Tab Boyle had also left in the off season just like Chris Jans. There is no doubt both those coaches had bigger impacts than we would really understood at that time..

This team is done with non-conference. For better or for worse - what you see is what you get. The margin is not all that great playing in the MVC (being they are ranked 10th) if WSU has some bad losses - which we all know can happen.
    Last edited by SB Shock; December 26, 2014, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I think we'll be more similar to Gonzaga the last few years than one of our own teams. They were a #1 seed a couple years ago and then last year had a good year still and made the tourney, but weren't as strong due to losing some key starters. Now this year a lot of people had them a pre-season final four team due to a senior backcourt and very good post play. We could likely follow that same path - we won't have the size in the post like they do this year, but could definitely have a final four team next year as our young 4/5 guys have a year under their belts.

Comment

Wow. Really? I'll revisit this thread if the bottom falls out and the team goes 1-6 over a seven game stretch.
        On twitter as @WuShocks

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
          Last year, the best regular season team in school history finished 5th in kenpom.

This year, we are "struggling" to a current rating of 13th in kenpom.

Not quite as good as an undefeated team? Yep.

Falling off a cliff with a bid in jeopardy? Just lol.

We are still really, really good. The stars all hit a slump at the same time, it happens. We're still gonna go no worse than 15-3 in league play and receive a solid seed in the dance.
          This. It really is laughable.
          The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
            I am by no means excited about the last two weeks, we have looked terrible. Very VERY easily could be 7-5, and looking at the NIT. That being said, we had close calls many times last year to teams we should have manhandled. I think they will figure it out. Maybe it is more a "hope" than "think". But I have no reason to doubt the coaching staff and this group of players. Do you?

Also, if Marshall bolted after this season, like Turg did in 07, we would have a LOT of young talent to work with. We had NOTHING when Turg left. He quit recruiting, saw what was about to hit the wall, and walked. I still like Turg just fine.

The big dissapointment in my eyes has been defense... I don't really care to look up the stats. But teams are shooting lights out against us. Some of that may be the whole "we get their best shot" thing. But dang, some of it has to be the defense. Lots of uncontested shots, where it looks like we are just hoping they'll miss a jump shot. Not to mention complete defensive letdowns, and a few atomic bombs. That is what got GW back in the game last night. When we went up 8, that could have ended up a 15-point victory easy. But it completely shifted the other way.

And while I'm venting, gosh the offense is bad. SO MUCH STANDING. Fred would try to penetrate, then get stuffed at the rim. We looked so out of sorts on O. And we have for a while, honestly. Not just against the 1-3-1. When was the last time our half court produced an easy look? We get some open threes, but dang, nothing is easy.

All that being said...

No. i doubt this is 07. This team is 10-2 with only 1 real game against a cupcake, and with SO many guys with no D-1 experience, and the vets haven't been playing well. That is just the gist of it. So they either learn and get better, or we teeter on the tourney line and go 13-5 in the MVC.
            Ok. Some people need to take a deep breath and step back from the cliff's edge. OR maybe they should just jump and get it over with. :)
            Things are not as bad as you are proclaiming them to be.

Comment

What a silly thread.
              SB Shock = Henny Penny
              Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
                SB Shock = Henny Penny
                my "father" told me something this morning - WSU is 3-2 in the Frankamp era.
                Last edited by SB Shock; December 26, 2014, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Your dad sucks at counting :)

Comment

I don't know how you can watch the last five or six games and not be concerned. It's not an isolated game. It's a trend. And if it keeps up those great computer numbers that some of you keep fawning over are going to fall hard. It wouldn't be as big of a deal if we didn't have the superstars that we do. But we all know what Fred, Ron and Tekele can do. Lets hope they can figure it out soon, because they don't look like the same players that played for it last year.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                      Ok. Some people need to take a deep breath and step back from the cliff's edge. OR maybe they should just jump and get it over with. :)
                      Things are not as bad as you are proclaiming them to be.
                      Not trying to in-fight here, but what is incorrect about that post? I didn't think it was doom at gloom. I said this team is not like 07. There are people in this thread that are claiming they are...

The team is what it is. And it hasn't played well at all the past two weeks. And yet they are 10-2. So take what for what it's worth. I think it is pretty darn good. Not top 15 in the country good, not yet anyway. But that is ok.

Comment

Worst Shocker team since 2010 .... But I feel that statement says volumes about the program & where we are headed. You can't lose ur whole front court, minus DC, and expect a smooth transition or no drop off. Add losing Coach Jan's as well. Kelly and Nurger are learning & gaining valuable experience, but I have no faith in Shaq. His D borders on an unmotivated JT Durley. The newcomers next yr will help this problem, but to be honest ... I've been more bothered with our guards decision making over the last 6 games, Yes van vleet included (which seems to feel sac religious), and coupled with no post play & constant defensive breakdowns (majority done by young guys) we look like a top 40 team, not a top 15 team
                        Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

Your dad sucks at counting :)
                          Only after running out of fingers and toes :star:

Comment

Remember our 2012 team? Looked miserable against Alabama and Temple in Puerto Rico. Were written off as an NCAA tourney team. Then boatraced UNLV, reached a nice level of competence and then blasted everyone we played including @Scum.

2013 we lose three in a row and are starting to edge close to the bubble before the infamous Play Angry speech. Stub our toe once or twice more before getting hot in the tourney.

Every team has rough spots. Every team has weaknesses. Don't you think the reason Coach wants to get back to practice is now he has a sample size to figure out how he will make the other teams adjust to us? New sets, new wrinkles on D, more emphasis on trapping the ball in the half court, etc.

Now if we turn around and lose to Drake, I may be joining some of you but 2007 has nothing to do with this coach or this team. The only thing that is in common with 2007 now is that most of us knuckleheads were on Shockernet then too

Comment

I'm not worried...yet. we have just set the bar really high these last 4 or 5 years.
                              Shocker fan since December 28th, 2005!

Comment

Had to check my URL. Thought we had been hacked and rerouted to phoglandofhoops.

Sorry, just thought I would share.

Comment

Working...
                                X