Deja Vu 2007?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deja Vu 2007?

In the 2006-07 campaign WSU was coming off of the Sweet 16, they lose Miller but have what looks team with Cousinard, Brauer, Ogirri, Wilson returning. WSU starts out 9-0 climbs high in the polls after wins at LSU and Syracuse. But then WSU falters with close losses to New Mexico and USC due to sickness and "stuff". Couple WSU players struggle to carry the load and we realize how much really miss Miller. WSU pressing as team starts out the MVC season 0-2 and every game is a grind - what was a promising season ends up disappointment ...

fast forward to 2014-15 - WSU coming off Sweet 16, starts off high in the polls, but then struggles to 10-2 start. All ready the team is being hampered by couple injuries (let pray there is no girlfriend stuff). The veterans seem to be struggling to pick up the load and we realize how much Cle is really missed. I hope not, but it just seems to be a real grind and just is starting to feel like 2007 all over again.

We're coming off a Sweet 16? News to me.

I'd think a lot of teams would struggle against a top 20 SOS. Especially teams that are only playing 5 players with D1 experience. But, maybe that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
      In the 2006-07 campaign WSU was coming off of the Sweet 16, they lose Miller but have what looks team with Cousinard, Brauer, Ogirri, Wilson returning. WSU starts out 9-0 climbs high in the polls after wins at LSU and Syracuse. But then WSU falters with close losses to New Mexico and USC due to sickness and "stuff". Couple WSU players struggle to carry the load and we realize how much really miss Miller. WSU pressing as team starts out the MVC season 0-2 and every game is a grind - what was a promising season ends up disappointment ...

fast forward to 2014-15 - WSU coming off Sweet 16, starts off high in the polls, but then struggles to 10-2 start. All ready the team is being hampered by couple injuries (let pray there is no girlfriend stuff). The veterans seem to be struggling to pick up the load and we realize how much Cle is really missed. I hope not, but it just seems to be a real grind and just is starting to feel like 2007 all over again.
      In 2007, Marshall was not the WSU coach. I feel a whole a lot better about everything with Marshall at the helm. For one thing he has continued to recruit very well. The new guys look very promising. I didn't see that in 2007.

Comment

Also, let me know when a current Shocker sleeps with another current Shocker's girlfriend.
        The Assman

Comment

It feels more like 2009 to me. A Marshall team that starts strong, but can't hold leads in the second half..
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Current struggles, will make late season success even more sweeter.

Who, for a second, thinks FVV, Ron, and Tekele have fallin' off the wagon?? They will be just fine.

The best news is, the new young guys are getting better. That's who we really need to contribute.
            The Assman

Comment

I think you're searching for something to worry about, SB. Yes, Early is missed. And if I wanted to, I could make it even more scary for the nervous or paranoid by saying Chris Jans is missed, too.

But 1989 is right -- the talent level is higher now than it was in Turgeon's final season. The remaining Shocker stars are better players and better, stronger leaders than those returning eight years ago were. The new guys are better, too, and they're starting to show more and more promise each game. There are more quality players available. Finally, Marshall is a better coach than his predecessor was.

We now know that this team is not going to reach 35-1 (surprise, surprise), and they're definitely slumping at the moment. But Marshall didn't sound mystified, or nervous, or worried on his postgame show tonight -- he just sounded like a guy who recognizes that his team is hitting a rough patch but who expects them to weather the storm once they get back to practice and their regular routine. Maybe he's a really good actor, but I think it's much more likely that he's just keeping his wits about him because he's confident things will improve, and that's good enough for me not to worry either.

Comment

Another similarity to that season is that we had lost Tad Boyle. This season we lost Jans.

Comment

The scary thing is this team could EASILY and maybe SHOULD be 7-5 and in the outside looking in to the Big Dance. Those wins over Detroit, Alabama, and Hawaii are huge. Hope we get it together with a week of practice.

Comment

We have a good team just not a great team. We are probably good enough to earn a 7-10 seed in the tourney. If that's a down year for WSU, I'll take it. I just don't see enough talent in the conference to do too much damage to our at-large resume.

Comment

I am by no means excited about the last two weeks, we have looked terrible. Very VERY easily could be 7-5, and looking at the NIT. That being said, we had close calls many times last year to teams we should have manhandled. I think they will figure it out. Maybe it is more a "hope" than "think". But I have no reason to doubt the coaching staff and this group of players. Do you?

Also, if Marshall bolted after this season, like Turg did in 07, we would have a LOT of young talent to work with. We had NOTHING when Turg left. He quit recruiting, saw what was about to hit the wall, and walked. I still like Turg just fine.

The big dissapointment in my eyes has been defense... I don't really care to look up the stats. But teams are shooting lights out against us. Some of that may be the whole "we get their best shot" thing. But dang, some of it has to be the defense. Lots of uncontested shots, where it looks like we are just hoping they'll miss a jump shot. Not to mention complete defensive letdowns, and a few atomic bombs. That is what got GW back in the game last night. When we went up 8, that could have ended up a 15-point victory easy. But it completely shifted the other way.

And while I'm venting, gosh the offense is bad. SO MUCH STANDING. Fred would try to penetrate, then get stuffed at the rim. We looked so out of sorts on O. And we have for a while, honestly. Not just against the 1-3-1. When was the last time our half court produced an easy look? We get some open threes, but dang, nothing is easy.

All that being said...

No. i doubt this is 07. This team is 10-2 with only 1 real game against a cupcake, and with SO many guys with no D-1 experience, and the vets haven't been playing well. That is just the gist of it. So they either learn and get better, or we teeter on the tourney line and go 13-5 in the MVC.

Comment

What a silly thread.

Comment

Gary Parrish drops us to 17. I'd say that's about right. Our big three-headed monster guards are displaying human-like qualities for the past four or five games. It was bound to happen. Better it happens in an in-season tournament rather than post season. We'll get back on track now that Valley play kicks off.

Comment

We also could just as easily be 12-0

Comment

Last year, the best regular season team in school history finished 5th in kenpom.

This year, we are "struggling" to a current rating of 13th in kenpom.

Not quite as good as an undefeated team? Yep.

Falling off a cliff with a bid in jeopardy? Just lol.

We are still really, really good. The stars all hit a slump at the same time, it happens. We're still gonna go no worse than 15-3 in league play and receive a solid seed in the dance.

Comment

Working...
                              X